Anderson Backs off his committment to Fridge in 2011

accinfo

I think Kevin Anderson is a selfish, thoughtless and insensitive jerk for not waiting until after the Military Bowl to open his mouth. What kind of message does this send to the players? And there is a very real chance that they may now play the game without both their head coach or their offensive coordinator.

This is obviously all about Kevin Anderson and his ego. That plus the fact that he has now apparently reneged on his word to Friedgen that he was staying for the 2011 season tells me all I need to know about Anderson, the man. This was not handled well at all, and if this is Anderson style, I have no respect at all for him.

And this guy Leach, sounds like a leech, so he and Anderson should get along just fine.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been thinking about this all day, because I was going to post the same thing. However, I'm not 100% sure.

This region won't have quite the same competition as Texas Tech did. We'll have Penn State, West Virginia and Virginia Tech along with national recruiting schools to worry about, instead of UT, A&M, OU and Okie State, LSU, and so on.

On the other hand, there are SO MANY players in Texas. That leads to more players being available for more schools, as well as a better chance for talented players to get lost in the numbers.

Really, it could turn out to be a wash.

This is pretty important IMO. I'm sure everyone knows this, but there's a massive disparity of talent between Texas and the Mid-Atlantic. That being said, if Leach actually gets hired, this makes UMD pretty attractive compared to the rest of the ACC. Besides Beamer, would there be a bigger coaching name in the ACC?

I think Kevin Anderson is a selfish, thoughtless and insensitive jerk for not waiting until after the Military Bowl to open his mouth. What kind of message does this send to the players? And there is a very real chance that they may now play the game without both their head coach or their offensive coordinator.

This is obviously all about Kevin Anderson and his ego. That plus the fact that he has now apparently reneged on his word to Friedgen that he was staying for the 2011 season tells me all I need to know about Anderson, the man. This was not handled well at all, and if this is Anderson style, I have no respect at all for him.

I mean, the situation changed so quickly after Franklin got hired by Vandy. It's not like he came out and said Fridge wasn't coming back--he was asked a question and responded. Would it look any better if he said Fridge was still coming back, yet went through with this move right after the bowl?

You're right though, it is messy. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's about Anderson's ego however.

And this guy Leach, sounds like a leech, so he and Anderson should get along just fine.

I don't agree here. Ralph started this with demanding in the news papers and extension. Anderson after looking at the financial landscape that I put in previous posts wasn't going to commit to this. They don't want to lie to recruits that are coming in this weekend and want to get a new staff into place as quickly as they can. Remember most the staff was planning to bolt with Franklin because they new their job security was not going to be at Maryland. When he went to tell Ralph how things were going to go down, Ralph skipped the meeting because he said he was sick. The question was asked to Anderson and he answered it honestly knowing he had already decided to let Ralph go and hire Mike Leach. These things really never go that smoothly.

I've been thinking about this all day, because I was going to post the same thing. However, I'm not 100% sure.

This region won't have quite the same competition as Texas Tech did. We'll have Penn State, West Virginia and Virginia Tech along with national recruiting schools to worry about, instead of UT, A&M, OU and Okie State, LSU, and so on.

On the other hand, there are SO MANY players in Texas. That leads to more players being available for more schools, as well as a better chance for talented players to get lost in the numbers.

Really, it could turn out to be a wash.

If you put stock in things like recruiting rankings, Friedgen was getting better players overall than Leach most years. As you point out, the problem with Texas is that even though there are a ton of good football players there, by the time the traditional power schools like UT, A&M, OKla get the players they want (not to mention other national powers that pluck players here and there out of Texas) what's leftover is decent, but no better than what you can do in the mid-Atlantic. He'll need someone with local connections, but with the reputation his offense has, I'd be surprised in Leach didn't do well getting the sort of players he wants.

If you put stock in things like recruiting rankings' date=' Friedgen was getting better players overall than Leach most years. As you point out, the problem with Texas is that even though there are a ton of good football players there, by the time the traditional power schools like UT, A&M, OKla get the players they want (not to mention other national powers that pluck players here and there out of Texas) what's leftover is decent, but no better than what you can do in the mid-Atlantic. He'll need someone with local connections, but with the reputation his offense has, I'd be surprised in Leach didn't do well getting the sort of players he wants.[/quote']

The more I think about it, the more i'm thinking if I am a top flight QB or WR from the mid-Atlantic region who's offense would I rather play in? Frank Beamers' or Mike Leachs'? Just off Leach's resume at TT, i'd probably choose Leach if i'm a WR or QB. I'm curious as to how he will fill out his coaching staff especially at D-coordinator. He may not will all the recruiting battles, but the terps would be in the game.

The more I think about it, the more i'm thinking if I am a top flight QB or WR from the mid-Atlantic region who's offense would I rather play in? Frank Beamers' or Mike Leachs'? Just off Leach's resume at TT, i'd probably choose Leach if i'm a WR or QB. I'm curious as to how he will fill out his coaching staff especially at D-coordinator. He may not will all the recruiting battles, but the terps would be in the game.

My greater concern right now is if he can hang on to Danny O'Brien, or if Franklin will convince him to transfer. Even with having to sit out a year, DOB will still have two seasons left.

My greater concern right now is if he can hang on to Danny O'Brien' date=' or if Franklin will convince him to transfer. Even with having to sit out a year, DOB will still have two seasons left.[/quote']

If I'm DOB I'm salivating at the thought of throwing the ball for 400+ yards per game.

I'm sure the players loved Fridge but these guys know who Mike Leach is and I'm sure they are excited. They remember TT knocking off Texas and being in the Top 10.

MD has a better shot at being a perennial top 20 team than Vandy does IMHO.

If I'm DOB I'm salivating at the thought of throwing the ball for 400+ yards per game.

I'm sure the players loved Fridge but these guys know who Mike Leach is and I'm sure they are excited. They remember TT knocking off Texas and being in the Top 10.

MD has a better shot at being a perennial top 20 team than Vandy does IMHO.

I don't disagree, but Franklin and O'Brien were close. If anyone can convince him to transfer, it's Franklin. Say what you will about the west coast offense, but many NFL teams still run some variation of it. You don't see Leach's offense in the pros. Franklin could always sell DOB on the notion that his system will groom him for the NFL better.

Sounds like the rest of the ACC wants no parts of Mike Leach. Words from Frank Beamer.

"This shouldn't be about who the next guy is. This should be about what they're doing to Ralph," Beamer said in a phone interview Sunday. "When you've got a guy who's a loyal alum, who's a tremendous football coach and who is responsible for bringing Maryland football back to where it is, something like this should not happen."

Aware that the decision is also based on a precipitous drop in season's ticket sales and the fact that luxury boxes at Byrd Stadium remain unsold, Beamer said that this year's performance and next season's prospects -- including returning ACC Rookie of the Year quarterback Danny O'Brien and more than a dozen other starters -- should help bring fans back.

"I can understand how fans might not have been excited after last season, but you have a team that should be picked pretty high in the conference next year coming back," Beamer said. "There is a very thin line between winning and losing in college football. Look at Texas. Last year they were playing for a national championship and this year they're not even in a bowl game."

C'mon Beamer, be honest...we can read between the lines. I know you are friends with Friedgen, but the only reason you even care one little bit about this is because you know that as long as Friedgen is the UM coach you will be able to kick their ass every time you play them. But the thought that Maryland might actually take their game to another level and challenge you in the ACC makes you nervous. Go ahead, Beamer....once you can say it, the healing can begin.

:mwahaha:

I don't disagree' date=' but Franklin and O'Brien were close. If anyone can convince him to transfer, it's Franklin. Say what you will about the west coast offense, but many NFL teams still run some variation of it. You don't see Leach's offense in the pros. Franklin could always sell DOB on the notion that his system will groom him for the NFL better.[/quote']

2 things.

1) O'Brien has already RS so transferring would mean he loses a year of eligibility.

2) Sam Bradford was the #1 pick in the draft while running a spread offense at OU.

I don't think the NFL cares what type of system your running. Hell, Tim Tebow was a glorified RB in college and he got drafted in the first round. Scouts look at footwork, arm strength, and if the QB can make all the throws.

Archived