Comparing pre-Orioles Wigginton to LaRoche

Frobby

Just curious, do the stats bear out that OPACY favors LHB's compared to RHB's? You hear this a lot but I don't know if it's true. I agree that no one player's delta moving from the NL to Baltimore is directly relatable to another's. It's just a data point.
Many parks favor one type over another. I used to read Bill James' yearly handbook and he had the factors for every park. While I don't have the most current numbers at hand, I found this online from the 2008 handbook: (see page 9)
Home	Home	Avg	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	SO	E	E-Inf	LHBAVG	LHBHR	RHBAVG	RHBHROrioles	O's	106	103	111	110	93	131	119	96	89	87	69	111	101	102	137

100 is league average. Therefore the 2008 factors suggest that OPACY was much more favorable to RHB than LHB in terms of HRs.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Werth, but why has there been about 100 posts about adding Vlad to the Orioles as a DH this year then? I still wouldn't consider Vlad as having a bad year. Given his numbers in his career yes, but compared to a Reynolds no.

Why was Werth better? Vlad hit .300, hit more homers, and had more RBI.

Werth, but why has there been about 100 posts about adding Vlad to the Orioles as a DH this year then? I still wouldn't consider Vlad as having a bad year. Given his numbers in his career yes, but compared to a Reynolds no.

Well there have been posts about adding Vlad because he is still available and would come on a one or two year contract. You wouldn't have gotten Werth on that.

Why was Werth better? Vlad hit .300, hit more homers, and had more RBI.

Because I didn't resort to my WAR handbook when being able to judge for myself with my own eyes, that Vlad looked off this year. He looked sluggish and lazy at the plate, didn't hit in the clutch, didn't hit in huge streaks of power like we're used to seeing, and didn't help much in the playoffs. I didn't need WAR to tell me that, I used common sense.Vlad had a down year in terms of Vlad's value, not league value. He had a solid year, or wouldn't have been mentioned 100 times that he should be signed here as a DH. I've always liked him, but also knew he didn't look like Vlad

I saw myself what value that Wigginton had to the Orioles. He basically carried the team at times with his bat, was a gritty player that was consistent, played several positions, showed pop with the bat, played solid with the glove.

Wigginton in 2010

Apr/May = 288/369/565/934

Jun/Oct = 231/287/353/640

If baseball consisted of only 2 months, than he was a beast. Otherwise he was nowhere to be found the last 4 months of 2010 season.

Wigginton in 2010

Apr/May = 288/369/565/934

Jun/Oct = 231/287/353/640

If baseball consisted of only 2 months, than he was a beast. Otherwise he was nowhere to be found the last 4 months of 2010 season.

But, he lead the team in RBI's, finished 2nd in homers. His BA was very low, but with what this team went through offensively, he was one of few shining stars we had. The problem was, the rest of the sky was dark.

Well there have been posts about adding Vlad because he is still available and would come on a one or two year contract. You wouldn't have gotten Werth on that.

I personally would rather have Vlad than Werth, even if it was 2 years for either. Just my view, and I'm sure it is not a popular one.

We should just stop arguing with OldFan#5, err i mean maybe2050.

This makes no sense, but not arguing at all. Seems to be a decent conversation when I'm allowed to be included.

I'm assuming this OldFan#5 is someone else who had his own view also huh. This is the second time on here I've been mentioned as this name. Anyone wanna shed a light?

No, but he's not gonna hurt you with the bat either. I don't see Laroche striking out a league leading 200 times a year. I'd take my chances with Laroche over Reynolds, and that fact will be proven this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359360-bruisers-the-first-basemen-of-the-american-league#page/15

I found this kinda funny. Look was is said about the Orioles. "Yes, I think I'll take Laroche now"

If someone gets on base at a good clip (not to mention hit with power), and sees pitches, why would K's count for anything? An out is an out. Please stop.

This makes no sense, but not arguing at all. Seems to be a decent conversation when I'm allowed to be included.

I'm assuming this OldFan#5 is someone else who had his own view also huh. This is the second time on here I've been mentioned as this name. Anyone wanna shed a light?

OldFan#5 is a buffoon.

Are you trying to say that the rest of us don't have our own views? :confused:

I liked him a lot. I didn't agree with him, like, um, ever, but he amused me greatly. I like a curmudgeon.

Talking to him in person would probably be a lot better. Some people have trouble communicating via message boards.

But I stick with my derogatory comment, unfortunately. Wore me down too much.

Archived