MacPhail's FA signing history with the O's

Frobby

It sucks, but it is also closer to reality. I suspect there will be some bright spots, but there are going to be disappointments as well, and more of them than you think IMO. This organization is still not committed to using all the resources they can or all the methods they can to win. They have tunnel vision on one plan and if it fails everything that we've been waiting for since 2007 fails with it with no backup or alternative.

MacPhail's comment about the draft speaks volumes. The fact that he's made up his mind that the draft is the only way the Orioles will acquire premium talent basically tells you why he's such a failure at acquiring that talent via other avenues IMO.

I wouldn't take what he said several years ago to be where he is now or will be in the future. After the trade of Bedard and Miggy he had nothing to attract any other major league talent or minor league premium talent with.

If the team is able to start winning all that changes. He can probably sign better FA.

Building a team is full of bumps. There is no way in November of 2009 MacPhail expected that Roberts would injury his back and be out for most of the season which submarined the teams offense. But as GM MacPhail has to deal with that. Its what he is paid to do.

Will there be other disappointments? Sure. But neither MacPhail or I as a fan can dwell on them. We have to take them as they come and deal with them.

I think looking for the positive side as a fan makes it easier to root for the team. It helps me maintain a good attitude. There is enough crap in life. Baseball is an escape for me. If I'd just concentrate on the bad stuff that goes with rooting for a team that has lost for a long time, well, I couldn't stand it. I would have to find another outlet for improving my attitude.

I hope you are in a good place with the rest of your life, because the way you concentrate on the O's and the negative feeling that you show, has me worry for you.

Find some fun. We all need that. Hopefully you can see the positive side of the O's but if not I hope you have that something or can find something you really enjoy. Its the healthy thing to do.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also this hit me like a ton of bricks while I was digging for other info. I'm surprised I never saw it sooner as it would have saved me a lot of grief. Read it for yourself and prepared to be dismayed:

MacPhail does not intend to get a premium player via FA, international signings, or via trade at all IMO. The draft is the only way he sees getting premium talent.

And people thought they were idiots for giving Wieters $6 million? Who? People thought the Pirates were idiots for passing on him, but I've never heard anybody say that was a stupid pick and contract.

It explains so much about MacPhail's mentality IMO...

He needs to go after this season.

Something your boy Buck said struck me. He said the place where the MFY's really take advantage of their money is in international signings. He said they offer double the amount of other teams to sign the players they want. So International signings is not the place to go head to head with the MFY's according to Buck. Also we have had such little interest in that area before AM that it is going to take time to develop the kind of scouting that will give them a chance against clubs who have been there longer. The DR is a money pit where a lot can be wasted if you don't know your way around. Virtually a black market for young players.

I wouldn't take what he said several years ago to be where he is now or will be in the future. After the trade of Bedard and Miggy he had nothing to attract any other major league talent or minor league premium talent with.

If the team is able to start winning all that changes. He can probably sign better FA.

Building a team is full of bumps. There is no way in November of 2009 MacPhail expected that Roberts would injury his back and be out for most of the season which submarined the teams offense. But as GM MacPhail has to deal with that. Its what he is paid to do.

Will there be other disappointments? Sure. But neither MacPhail or I as a fan can dwell on them. We have to take them as they come and deal with them.

I think looking for the positive side as a fan makes it easier to root for the team. It helps me maintain a good attitude. There is enough crap in life. Baseball is an escape for me. If I'd just concentrate on the bad stuff that goes with rooting for a team that has lost for a long time, well, I couldn't stand it. I would have to find another outlet for improving my attitude.

I hope you are in a good place with the rest of your life, because the way you concentrate on the O's and the negative feeling that you show, has me worry for you.

Find some fun. We all need that. Hopefully you can see the positive side of the O's but if not I hope you have that something or can find something you really enjoy. Its the healthy thing to do.

I just want this team to win desperately and I wish they would use all the resources and avenues at their disposal and not lock themselves into one plan. However they don't even seem to be willing to make that plan successful. It's just so frustating.

However I'm an Orioles fan so I will hope and pray with everybody else as that is all we can do at this point. That's sadly all the O's seem to be doing...

Except that MacPhail didn't draft, nor develop Matusz.

If you give MacPhail credit for drafting Matusz, then he should get blasted for drafting Hobgood.

To me, both Matusz and Hobgood are on MacPhail's watch. He gets his share of the credit or the discredit. He has to OK the picks.

To me, both Matusz and Hobgood are on MacPhail's watch. He gets his share of the credit or the discredit. He has to OK the picks.

Jordan is the one who drafts the guys, not AM.

Jordan was around before AM got here, so you can't credit AM for hiring Jordan.

So, why does he deserve any credit for any of the draftees?

So we are not going to count:

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

Luke Scott

Mark Reynolds

He traded for those guys, but we can easily argue that they are likely to be key parts over the next 2-3 years+. MacPhail has brought some quality individuals in through the trade and the draft. His history however, does show that he has difficulty recruiting big names via free agency. He seems to like to spend his money on known entities like extending his own players.

Here in Oriole Land, Jones, Tillman, Scott and Reynolds are stars. Elsewhere, they are spare parts, prospects or over-the-hill role players. Of those four, I like Jones the best (a lot more than some people on this board). But I don't see this group taking us to the promised land. So, for me, the jury is still VERY much out on AM, and it seems to be getting outer with each passing day... as we don't sign Lee or another proven starter.

If General Motors has a great quarter, doesn't the CEO get credit? The CEO oversees the company's operation the same way AM oversees baseball operations, right? Are you saying that Jordan can draft whoever he wants, and that AM doesn't have to approve, nor does AM have any influence in who we draft? I would HOPE that's not the case. If it is, he truly is derelict in his duties, IMO.

I credit or discredit AM with keeping Jordan. That is AM's decision. And AM can not walk away from any of the picks IMO. Good or bad.

AM runs the organization. He decides how much input he wants into who is picked. If he wants to weigh in on every pick that is his right. If he doesn't that is the way he has set it up.

If General Motors has a great quarter, doesn't the CEO get credit? The CEO oversees the company's operation the same way AM oversees baseball operations, right? Are you saying that Jordan can draft whoever he wants, and that AM doesn't have to approve, nor does AM have any influence in who we draft? I would HOPE that's not the case. If it is, he truly is derelict in his duties, IMO.

This is a poor example because a CEO wears more hats than a GM does.

This is a poor example because a CEO wears more hats than a GM does.

Not really.

A CEO answers to an owner or board of directors, so does MacPhail.

A CEO controls the products or services that a company offers, so does MacPhail.

A CEO controls who is hired and fired. So does MacPhail.

A CEO is responsible for the finances of the company. So is MacPhail.

I agree with WC that assessing MacPhail includes assessing how the team does in the draft under his watch. He didn't hire Jordan, but he kept him. Presumably, he has input into the budget Jordan is allowed to have (both for signing players and for paying scouts), and may have some input into overall philosophy. So, draft performance reflects on MacPhail one way or the other.

Here in Oriole Land, Jones, Tillman, Scott and Reynolds are stars. Elsewhere, they are spare parts, prospects or over-the-hill role players. Of those four, I like Jones the best (a lot more than some people on this board). But I don't see this group taking us to the promised land. So, for me, the jury is still VERY much out on AM, and it seems to be getting outer with each passing day... as we don't sign Lee or another proven starter.

Are you referring to Luke Scott and Mark Reynolds as over-the-hill role players? If so, you have no clue what you are talking about.

I agree with WC that assessing MacPhail includes assessing how the team does in the draft under his watch. He didn't hire Jordan, but he kept him. Presumably, he has input into the budget Jordan is allowed to have (both for signing players and for paying scouts), and may have some input into overall philosophy. So, draft performance reflects on MacPhail one way or the other.

That is fine, but to me, the Hobgood pick ways more against him than the good behind selecting Matusz. I don't find it that great that MacPhail took the top pitcher available in the draft.

Well, the drafts have sucked, so that's another strike against AM if you want to credit or discredit him here..Personally, I feel the blame or praise should go on Jordan except for the fact that AM does an awful job of giving JJ enough picks to work with.

How can you expect AM to keep up with the universe of draft eligible players to the point that he'd have meaningful input on who is selected? Scouts/cross-checkers/directors work year round solely on this endeavor and they miss people. I doubt AM would have much of anything to contribute, outside of listening to Jordan's plan for the particular draft, asking questions, and approving the general strategy, general amount available to sign picks and maybe some input on the first round pick once presented with the top options.

Archived