vs. Blue Jays 6/23

weams

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• It's Ben's Chili Bowl, which is half-smoke sausages that you can get chili on. I don't know if the stadium versions are the same, but the original Ben's is a DC institution.
    • Good post.   Makes sense.   In JH's case, I do think the leg kick has something to do with it.   And it goes back to the first quote in the OP about velocity.   In the majors there is just more of it.  You don't have near as much time (baseball speaking) to decide whether to swing or not.  So the timing with the leg kick may work in the minors where velocity is less, but in the majors he may be a tad slow with it compared to the speed of the pitches he is seeing. Looks like he is back into the swing of things at Norfolk so lets hope he made an adjustment and will be back up at some point. 
    • He was dominant for his first 10-11 appearances, so I don’t buy “he just doesn’t have it anymore.”   He doesn’t have it right now, that’s for sure.   The O’s will try to nurse him back to it.  They invested too much not to try.  
    • Wow, that was a brutal read.  I kept hoping for some silver lining at the end (besides the W).  I've been there a few times and hate it.  Bad stadium, total mess getting in and out, super expensive, and so forth.  To lose a phone on top is terrible.  I was swearing at the TV in the 9th but you had it far worse.  Sorry, Frob.
    • That's miserable. The food situation at any sports stadium is often ridiculous. The prices outrageous, and anytime during the game it takes 10, 15, 20+ minutes to go through the line, and the whole time you're thinking I'm supposed to be here watching the friggin' game not in line! My boys and I went to a hockey game in Chicago in March and two of us missed a good 10 minutes of the game getting some wildly overpriced chicken tenders. The area around Nats' Park and Audi field is not great for vehicle access. I didn't have your experience, but was at DC United on Saturday and even 1.5 hours before kickoff it's a bit of a mess. Luckily I have a CAC card and can park on Ft. McNair for free. But getting out is a 30+ minute ordeal. I would have lost my mind if I lost my cell phone at the game.  
    • This article confirms my suspicions that any pitcher worth a damn isn't going to be wasting away in AAA ball. Adley and Gunnar both went through their own adjustment periods. Ultimately once Holliday has the mechanics of his swing worked out he needs to be called up because the only way to hit against MLB pitchers is to face MLB pitchers.    
    • I don't feel like there is any chance Mayo is getting called up w/ the defensive deficiencies as they currently are.  Elias would have to get pretty good reports of his improvement (at any of the proposed positions) in order to unseat players at those positions (especially 3B and 1B) that are quite good defensively, and in the case of Mountcastle and Westburg, damn good offensively too. Every time lately I see Westburg or Urias make a tough play at third (which is relatively often), I wonder if that was a play Mayo could have made.  Same w/ Mounty at first - he's made some really tough picks over there and has dramatically improved on defense.  I don't see Hyde or Elias being comfortable going backwards on that front mid-season, especially when there is no guarantee that the hitting will carry the lesser defense in the first couple of months, given the adjustment period we have seen for most of these guys.  Our IF defense has been very good, and I don't see them wanting to screw w/ that. Mayo being only 21 helps this out.  You can justify him being down there to get better as a third baseman pretty much all year at that age.  If our other 3B options were less - or an injury occurs - that's harder to do, of course.  But we're kind of stacked in the infield WITHOUT Mayo, so rushing his defensive development simply isn't necessary right now. I doubt there is anyone who thinks Urias is better than Mayo, so the thread title is silly anyway.  But Urias IS better for the current role that roster position is filling.  I think if you're holding your breath for a Mayo call up, you're more likely to suffocate than to get your way.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now