Concerns about Wieters being ready for Opening day.

Redskins Rick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Wieters would be okay with working at DH most of the year. He could also take over 1B and move Davis into RF if need be. I know that's thinking on the negative side as a lot of his value is derived from his defense but I don't feel good about his health going into the year.

I wonder if Wieters would be okay with working at DH most of the year. He could also take over 1B and move Davis into RF if need be. I know that's thinking on the negative side as a lot of his value is derived from his defense but I don't feel good about his health going into the year.

I think moving Matt to first and Davis to RF has merit. Or moving Matt to full time DH with Pearce at first and Davis to RF. If one of those is the plan, you will soon see another Catcher aquired to help Joseph.

With the possibility of Davis, Wieters, and Manny all not ready for opening day (unlikely, but possible), there is going to be some fierce competition this year in spring training.

Davis is suspended for OD but is eligible for the second game. They probably carry en extra pitcher to start the year.

Almost feel bad for Matt (if it were possible to feel bad for men making 10's of millions of dollars to play a game).

The O's rode him hard, and he was a very good player, but now before he ever got a chance at free agency his days as a top defensive catcher seem numbered and it seems doubtful that he will ever hit enough to be a good solution at 1B/DH.

Someone will still probably give him a nice contract, IMO it won't be the O's

Almost feel bad for Matt (if it were possible to feel bad for men making 10's of millions of dollars to play a game).

The O's rode him hard, and he was a very good player, but now before he ever got a chance at free agency his days as a top defensive catcher seem numbered and it seems doubtful that he will ever hit enough to be a good solution at 1B/DH.

Let's just wait and see. Most pitchers make a full recovery from TJ; it would be a surprise if Wieters didn't. But he sure has a lot riding on how things go this year. Next winter he could be signing a $100 mm deal, or a $7 mm deal, depending on how his recovery goes.

Someone will still probably give him a nice contract, IMO it won't be the O's

You make a good point. I look at it like if Weiters days as a catcher are numbered, he still has a decent chance of becoming a good 1B/DH type of a guy though. Playing in the field or at DH would be alot easier on his body and he could concentrate more on hitting and playing good defense at 1B. Just an opinion, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in that role. All that said, if he comes back 100% he probably suits us best as our catcher for the time being.

Archived