Braves CEO: " Baseball is not a widely profitable business."

Can_of_corn

That would explain why corporations are buying up franchises causing the valuations of teams to skyrocket. We all know they don't want to make money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2015/11/13/atlanta-braves-chairman-ceo-terry-mcguirk-talks.html

The Dodgers' operating theory is so unsustainable that they themselves have said, "We're going to reduce $100 million of payroll." It's crazy what they did and they now know it.
We've never really lost money with the Braves. Baseball is not a widely profitable business. If you took all of the free-cash flow of all of the 30 teams, it's pretty much zero. That's sort of a fairly well known fact. If you actually, do have free cash flow, you're among a minority.

Lots more.

I fear this part could apply to the Orioles in 2016:

We were in a process where we made moved away from the old Braves way in the early ‘90s of everything that Bobby Cox had built as a general manager was coming up through the system and was matriculating through the major leagues and boom there we were with a worst-to-first team. We got to the point after 2010 where we started building from the top down. We started looking for the last puzzle piece to make us a championship team. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we didn’t have a minor league team that was supporting that, but we kept pursuing that because our general manager at the time thought we were that close. Mid-year in ’14, we were in first place, but prior to that, you go back to the winter of ’13, ’14 John Schuerholz and I were talking and we really knew what was going on and what we had to fix, but the problem was we were winning and it’s had to fix when the fix is as drastic as we thought we needed to take place when you’re winning and we felt like we had to continue to play it out. By mid-year of ’14, we sort of knew we were hitting a wall and of course that team did with a terrible second half. So we got to Oct. 1 a year ago and that’s when we said, “OK, the catharsis is here. We have to make the changes to build this minor league system back.

Actually, the highlighted sounds like the 2015 Orioles. They were in it, but many could see the writing on the wall about this team. I have little doubt that Duquette saw it, but he went for it anyway.

Presumably, that is what he was paid to do. I don't think of Dan as being short-sighted by nature.

Actually, the highlighted sounds like the 2015 Orioles. They were in it, but many could see the writing on the wall about this team. I have little doubt that Duquette saw it, but he went for it anyway.

How did Duquette go for it? The only thing he did was Parra. Didn't trade any prime prospects. He rode it out.

Well if he did, would anybody fault him for it?

Perhaps more to the point did he see any alternative that was possible?

That would explain why corporations are buying up franchises causing the valuations of teams to skyrocket. We all know they don't want to make money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2015/11/13/atlanta-braves-chairman-ceo-terry-mcguirk-talks.html

Lots more.

So you think you know more than an actual baseball executive?

Seemed like a well written and with a lot of good insight.

It really makes no sense to me how baseball salaries are skyrocketing despite the fact that it's well known that baseball is declining in popularity. I don't see how franchises are making any money. I mean unless you follow the Marlins model in a big market.

If MLB was a stock I'd be short selling it.

It really makes no sense to me how baseball salaries are skyrocketing despite the fact that it's well known that baseball is declining in popularity. I don't see how franchises are making any money. I mean unless you follow the Marlins model in a big market.

Noted.

If MLBAM was a stock I'd retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived