2021 12th round pick (347): Justin Armbruester - RHP - (Senior) New Mexico

• lovetoaster changed the title to 2021 12th round pick (347): Justin Armbruester - RHP - (Senior) New Mexico

Mountain West Pitcher of the Year

The ace of the Lobo squad earned his spot as Pitcher of the Year after leading the Mountain West with a 3.58 ERA, an opposing batting average against of .231, and a total of 101 strikeouts through 78.0 innings pitched. Armbruester earned a total of four Mountain West Pitcher of the Week honors, serving as the first time a pitcher tallied as many in program history.

https://golobos.com/news/2021/06/03/armbruester-and-castillo-named-all-mw-first-team-armbruester-named-pitcher-of-the-year/

Armbruester has since been on an impressive roll, employing a mix of 90-to-94 mph fastballs with sliders and occasional changeups. He was at his best during a March 13 outing at Fresno State that rates as one of the top pitching performances in UNM history. Armbruester worked nine shutout innings, allowing two hits and striking out 17 in the Lobos’ 1-0, 10-inning win.

“A lot of fastballs,” Armbruester replied when asked about the outing. “I threw 91 fastballs out of 117 pitches. The umpire had a good strike zone and Fresno State was swinging at everything, so that was a lot of fun.”

The only bad news about Armbruester’s outing was that no one outside the ballpark saw it. The game was not carried on video stream.

“That was a shame,” Higelin said. “That was one of the best performances I’ve seen by a college pitcher. National scouts should have been able to see that.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/2373937/armbruester-makes-a-pitch-for-high-draft-pick.html

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do senior signs have much of a record of making the majors?  I don't honestly care about how good the filling out the Minor league rotation guys are.

As previously noted, most of these aren't 'true' senior signs.  With only 5 rounds last year many juniors that would have normally been drafted went back to school, and now they are seniors.  While they may only sign for the 10k as they have no real other choice, from a talent standpoint I'm not sure calling them all senior signs is accurate.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do senior signs have much of a record of making the majors?  I don't honestly care about how good the filling out the Minor league rotation guys are.

Well, we do have to take into account Covid.   A 5 round draft last year, most college seasons extremely truncated.   Many of the college seniors getting picked would have played a full junior season, then gone as juniors in a 20 round draft last year.  Instead, a lot came back.

Still, the fact that we will be drafting probably the oldest draft class in major league history certainly means SOMETHING.   (Have to admit, when webbrick mentioned that about 4 round in yesterday I thought it was just his typical negative hyperbole.   But now it is coming to fruition).

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jay Flaa made it for a day.  

This year is a little different than usual because many 2020 juniors who weren’t drafted in the 5 round draft stayed in college rather than signing for $20,000.    So, being a senior sign doesn’t have quite the same stigma as in the past.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Jay Flaa made it for a day.  

This year is a little different than usual because many 2020 juniors who weren’t drafted in the 5 round draft stayed in college rather than signing for $20,000.    So, being a senior sign doesn’t have quite the same stigma as in the past.  

I'm not sure how many times we have to say this before it sinks in with some people.