I talked to an insider today

PlumOriole

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't think a core of A-Rod, Tejada, Roberts and Bedard can contend?

Maybe even trade Miguel for some younger guys.

But moving all those guys and signing A-Rod is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

No I dont think that team can contend. I dont think it would contend if you replaced ARod with Babe Ruth. I see your second point, but if we get enough good young talent back, within a couple years we could have a very strong team.

You don't think a core of A-Rod, Tejada, Roberts and Bedard can contend?

Maybe even trade Miguel for some younger guys.

But moving all those guys and signing A-Rod is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If by some miracle A-Rod is an Oriole I can definitely see trading Tejada to fill two holes. If you can't fill holes trading Tejada, then I would agree with keeping him.

Furthermore, I think Bedard is FAR more likely to sign an extension if A-Rod is on the team. Show Erik this team will try to compete during his good years.

No I dont think that team can contend. I dont think it would contend if you replaced ARod with Babe Ruth. I see your second point, but if we get enough good young talent back, within a couple years we could have a very strong team.
Babe Ruth is another matter alltogether. He could pitch every 5 days and DH the other 4. You would have the triple crown winner and the CY in one player.:D

I have a question that I have never seen explicitly addressed in any of the A-Rod discussions: Does the franchise even have enough cash to sign him?

No one can be certain. We know they do have a MASN revenue stream, which is also difficult to estimate, and they have a fabulously wealthy owner.

I would say a resounding YES, they have enough cash.

I would not pretend to know if they are in a economic position where the investment makes sense.

If it happens I will be skeptical of what this does to the teams future, but I will certainly be very EXCITED!

To follow up with my own opinions on what I was told. I am on the fence about trading Bedard and I don't want ARod and don't think he would come here anyway. If we did get him though, I could see us being solid but not contending.

Trading Tejada for Wood and Santana and trading Hernandez for Pie would be reasonable moves.

That would give us.

1b Millar

2b BRob

SS ARod

3b Wood

LF Mora

CF Pie

RF Markakis

C FA (pick your 1 year stop gap)

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

Penn/Olson/Santana/DCab

As I said in the first post, I was surprised he brought up ARod and I don't see it happening. His name does look good in the line-up though.

Oh goody. We're going to move our aging, mediocre hitting 3B to LF. Then, he can be our new "mediore hitting" LFer. God forbid we get a legit hitter for LF. Moving Mora to LF is absolutely ridiculous IMO...

The move doesn't excite me but if he's only keeping the position warm for Reimhold, I can live with it for a year.

We are not going after ARod!!!!!
Ah the sweet voice of reason. It amazes me that all these blow it up now, take no prisoners people turn into week kneed ga ga groupies with the mention of ARod. He wouldn't significantly change the franchise's success by himself. We tried getting a marquee player and builing around him with Miggi and it failed. ARod is 3 times as expensive as Tejada but this time it will work? ARod is 32 and likely will have one more year like last years, before he begins a steady decline. I see a situation very similar to the Rockies and Helton. An aging super star, still productive but not worth the salary he is tying up.

Funny how one source says we're going after A-Rod and another says we're not. Sigh, what a vicious cycle.

I'd like to see Angelos stick it to Steinbrenner one more time by taking A-Rod from him. Insure that contract though just incase he develops a career ending hip injury like that other time Angelos stuck it to Big George.

ARod is 3 times as expensive as Tejada but this time it will work? ARod is 32 and likely will have one more year like last years, before he begins a steady decline. I see a situation very similar to the Rockies and Helton. An aging super star, still productive but not worth the salary he is tying up.

A-Rod will likely have five more years like this past year and he'll then decline to his "terrible" first year in New York with a .285 average, 35 home runs, and 100 RBIs.

Archived