Brian Roberts Stiffness in Neck

mdevito

Trading for a guy like Aviles wouldn't have been a bad idea...In other words, acquire a guy that is a better back up than Izzy even if he isn't the clubhouse guy Izzy is.

Trading for Mike Aviles would have required more than most people would want to give up for a backup infielder. Aviles is certainly a better player than Izturis but he is also a viable Major League starting shortstop at this point in his career and the Orioles shouldn't be trading the level of players required to get a starting shortstop only to pencil him in to start the season on the bench. It is simply not the best use of the team's resources at this point.

I like Aviles but the Royals aren't going to trade him for what amounts to the value of a backup middle infielder.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
true but did you not see us without roberts last year lol. I'm not all too concerned, but we really didn't do much to get a backup plan for him

Yeah but backup second baseman and backup leadoff hitter are/should be mutually exclusive roles. I think that by adding the amount of depth that the Orioles added to the rest of the lineup that Markakis should be in the leadoff spot when Roberts is out of the lineup. Whoever the backup second baseman is, whether Izturis, Harris or Andino, should slide in behind Hardy at 9th in the order.

true but did you not see us without roberts last year lol. I'm not all too concerned, but we really didn't do much to get a backup plan for him

Getting anything other than a replacement-level backup for Roberts (hi, Izturis!) would have required actually trading something of value. Not interested.

Yeah but backup second baseman and backup leadoff hitter are/should be mutually exclusive roles. I think that by adding the amount of depth that the Orioles added to the rest of the lineup that Markakis should be in the leadoff spot when Roberts is out of the lineup. Whoever the backup second baseman is, whether Izturis, Harris or Andino, should slide in behind Hardy at 9th in the order.

This. Move the entire lineup up a spot and Izzy hits ninth. Or Markakis then move Adam up to hit 2nd.

Fixed that for you. ;)

No way Buck would use Izzy as lead-off.

I would to have that kind of faith :P

Seriously though, more than likely I would see it being Hardy. The problem is, outside of Markakis we don't have a guy who comes close to fitting the "leadoff" profile. And unfortunately, I think Buck is likely to follow that profile closer than we would like.

Getting anything other than a replacement-level backup for Roberts (hi, Izturis!) would have required actually trading something of value. Not interested.

true, but wasn't like adam kennedy a free agent or someone like that. I'm not syaing we needed to search for a leadoff replacement im just saying i don't think anyone else in the lineup will be half as productive leading off except maybe markakis

true, but wasn't like adam kennedy a free agent or someone like that. I'm not syaing we needed to search for a leadoff replacement im just saying i don't think anyone else in the lineup will be half as productive leading off except maybe markakis

Adam Kennedy has only played 2 innings at shortstop his entire career. Kennedy would be a decent option but I don't want the Orioles to go into the season carrying two backup middle infielders among their 4 bench players. If Roberts was to be out for a couple months or more I would want the Orioles to make a trade for somebody like Kennedy rather than penciling in Izturis at second.

But everything comes at a price.

The question is what Aviles would have cost.

Sure..but it doesn't have to be Aviles...Just someone with better upside with the bat(compared to Izzy) and still capable of playing well defensively.

A guy I wanted them to go after was Zack Cozart, a SS prospect from the Reds, who is blocked.

He could have been our MI uti guy this year and perhaps be the long term SS depending on what happens with Hardy.

Archived