Brian Roberts Stiffness in Neck

mdevito

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cervical, not cervix. Cervical pertains to the neck. Thoracic is mid-back. Lumbar is lower back.

I know (although cervical also means pertaining to the cervix); my mom the nurse left her medical books out for me at an early age, so I became quite versed in anatomy. Just having a bit of fun in a situation of no real consequence; one has to admit Roberts is in a class by himself these days as far as getting everyone in a tizzy over possible maladies.... He's not invincible, but he isn't yet made of glass, either.

So yes, two meanings in both parts of the original statement.... :)

I'll say this much. Buck is known as a very thorough manager. He of course anticipated Brian missing time. I don't think he (or anyone here...) thinks he plans on sticking Izzy in the leadoff spot. He must have some alignment that he thinks is adequate.

Also, this is not the tragedy that it was last year (in the worst case for Brian...) Last year he was one of only a couple pillars for this team. This year he's just one of the good pieces.

Better now than March 23rd...but I'm still barely holding back from reacting as though the sky's falling. X-rays are not happy occurrences.

That doesn't bother me in the least. I think they're just being absolutely careful. If Brian sneezed he would get an x-ray and an MRI.

Divorce that completely from whether or not this is serious.

That doesn't bother me in the least. I think they're just being absolutely careful. If Brian sneezed he would get an x-ray and an MRI.

Divorce that completely from whether or not this is serious.

No, I know...the context of pro sports is completely different from the one in which an average person reacts to an average injury.

Still, Roberts treating a stiff neck as "normal" for the average person sort of crosses lines in odd ways (i.e. given the above...pro athlete, etc.). What'd make me feel more comfortable is knowing how often this kind of thing happens to him specifically, what his usual reaction is, how long it generally takes to go away, etc. If stiff necks aren't a common occurrence for Roberts, and he's been struck with one now (at the beginning of ST and in the wake of a back injury-plagued season), I think there're plenty of reasons to worry.

Not trying to overreact though :)

Asked if the X-ray was just precautionary, Roberts smiled and replied, "Yeah, they are always precautionary. So yeah, they just sent me to get one."
A"I understand there's about a two feet difference from where my back hurt and where my neck hurt," Roberts said, "so I'm pretty sure they are not related."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/02/roberts-downplays-neck-issue.html

To early to PANIC! Let's wait for a full report.

But' date=' it is a bad way to start off ST. :([/quote']

Although you're not the only one to exaggerate the responses here, you did feel the need to shout about it, Therefore, I must ask who was "panicking?" because that wasn't my perception at all.

Archived