MacPhail on trade possibilities

bird watcher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll see. MacPhail's had plenty of time to kick Pie to the curb before and he hasn't yet.

Reimold, however he was ready to trade for Jason Bartlett, so he's less shy about dealing him IMO.

My guess is teams would want Reimold more than they would want Pie, so the Orioles would have a better chance to land another SP for a package around Nolan than Pie.

Pie may be kept just because he's the least valuable of the two.

Once trading for him there has been little reason to "kick him to the curb". Pie is an inexpensive player that can play all three outfielder positions well. He has value to a team but not so much value that he could be traded for something of consequence. I have never wanted Pie as the everyday left fielder on the O's but as a fourth outfielder he brings something to the team.

No one is hating on Jones. We are simply stating a point that the coaches have asked him to play deeper, and yet he continues to play where he wants. If you had watched the game last night, you would have seen him playing where a short fielder routinely plays in softball...that's how shallow he was.

Saying that Jones is no Paul Blair is the very definition of hate. You could say that you think he should play deeper, but this is an extra shot at him. By the way, he already has one gold glove, so clearly some people with baseball acumen think what he does out there is pretty special.

He could be one of the best CFers in O's history.

Relax and let Buck and the coaches take care of it.

There is way too much hate for Adam Jones...

JTrea is 100% right on this. The animosity towards Jones is hilarious. Markakis has been a defensive and offensive disappointment the past two years as well--and while it is mentioned--rarely does he get the animosity that Jones receives. Not saying Jones doesn't have anything to work on or that he shouldn't be criticized, but the way some posters rag on every little thing he does is bizarre.

As for a trade of Pie--I doubt it happens. Like others mention, the fact that Reimold has an option left precludes him from making the team IMO.

Also, Reimold doesn't make much sense on this team if he's not going to start. He has no defensive value whatsoever and there's not going to be that many pinch hit PA's available. The the DH spot is 100% locked down, first base is tied up, and Luke won't be getting that many days off in left barring injury. I like the guy and I personally would love to see him succeed after everything he's gone through, but I'd rather see him get steady at bats in AAA then a sporadic start or rare PH opportunity. For those that supported the Vlad signing, this is one of the repercussions.

Look at all the former Cubs on the Orioles.

And GMs do have pet players.

MacPhail has gone after Cubs in the past, I'll give you that. But to answer your question, where are all the former Cubs on our roster?

Derrek Lee.

Felix Pie (if he is here on Opening Day)

???????

Not exactly dripping in ex-Cubs anymore.

Saying that Jones is no Paul Blair is the very definition of hate. You could say that you think he should play deeper, but this is an extra shot at him. By the way, he already has one gold glove, so clearly some people with baseball acumen think what he does out there is pretty special.

If you judge a player's defensive merits by his Gold Gloves, then allow me to open the door to the Hangout experts to show you how wrong that line of thinking is.

JTrea is 100% right on this. The animosity towards Jones is hilarious. Markakis has been a defensive and offensive disappointment the past two years as well--and while it is mentioned--rarely does he get the animosity that Jones receives. Not saying Jones doesn't have anything to work on or that he shouldn't be criticized, but the way some posters rag on every little thing he does is bizarre.

Honestly, it all comes down to Jones' attitude and the perception that he doesn't listen to the coaching staff. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know. But I certainly don't think it's "bizarre" that people rag on him for these things. It's quite easy to criticize Jones when he makes the same mistakes over and over.

If you judge a player's defensive merits by his Gold Gloves, then allow me to open the door to the Hangout experts to show you how wrong that line of thinking is.

I agree it's not the only measure, nor is it the best measure. But, winning a gold glove, particularly for the first time when you are young and relatively unknown, means that you must have some value defensively at your position. Sure, there are "lifetime achievement" gold gloves, but Jones' was not one of those. My point is he is a good player and I am tired of the unwarranted vitriol he receives on these boards. Maybe the problem is the expectations he had coming in, I don't know, but I'm glad he's on our side.

Honestly, it all comes down to Jones' attitude and the perception that he doesn't listen to the coaching staff. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know. But I certainly don't think it's "bizarre" that people rag on him for these things. It's quite easy to criticize Jones when he makes the same mistakes over and over.

What attitude? This stuff is all based on hearsay!

I have said it before and I will say it again, baseball is difficult. The fact that he swings at a lot of balls in the dirt doesn't show bad attitude, it probably just means he has difficulty reading that pitch, as do a lot of players. Do you think he likes doing that over and over? Do you think he doesn't want to change it?

Palmerio got a GG in Texas one year when he was DH for about 120 games.

The GG has evolved into a beauty contest. It is almost meaningless.

Seriously, if this was an issue wouldn't King Buck have addressed this last season?

Lots of times we read something like "Well if Buck is okay with it than so am I" or something similar and you'd have to think that if it bothered Buck it would've already been addressed. No?

And I don't think Jones, despite what the haters say about his lack of listening to coaches, would be dumb enough to let something Buck says (in this case if Buck did suggest playing deeper) go in one ear and out the other.

Maybe you guys are confusing Adam with Adam Jones of Tool, who I hear doesn't listen to any of his coaches and plays way to shallow at the annual Tool picnic softball games.

I agree it's not the only measure, nor is it the best measure. But, winning a gold glove, particularly for the first time when you are young and relatively unknown, means that you must have some value defensively at your position. Sure, there are "lifetime achievement" gold gloves, but Jones' was not one of those. My point is he is a good player and I am tired of the unwarranted vitriol he receives on these boards. Maybe the problem is the expectations he had coming in, I don't know, but I'm glad he's on our side.

Let me just make this clear.

I Like Adam Jones. I think he is a solid player, a sometimes All-Star, and a possible team leader. I like that he speaks his mind and keeps his fans informed. I think and hope he will be a valuable addition to the Baltimore Orioles for years to come.

That said, he continues to swing at the low and away pitch that no one (with the possible exception of Vlad's craziness) can hit. He continues to play shallow and allow too many balls to fall over his head. And he has on about 4 occassions recently spoken out about his Manager receiving too much credit. One time would have been fine, but continuing to do it every time he has a microphone in front of him gives off the perception that he is rebellious. Whether that is the case or not, that's the perception he is giving off.

Finally, just because we are crtitical of a player's weaknesses does not mean we "hate" the player. We are a message board community that discusses damn near everything about this organization. Jonesie just happens to be the whipping boy right now because he keeps running his mouth to the press.

Reimold, however he was ready to trade for Jason Bartlett, so he's less shy about dealing him IMO.

I don't believe he was EVER "ready" to trade Reim for Bartlett. I think you're totally missing "the game". I think he wanted Hardy all along. Same kind of thing with Lee. Talked to LaRoche, talked to LaRoche, talked to LaRoche, signed Lee.

Archived