For What It's Worth...

Belkast

I cant really leak that kind of info yet.

But what I can tell you is, Bedard doesnt really like it here in Baltimore. We could all guess that. But the O's are the ones that will have to beg here. If they really want to bring Bedard back they have to build a winner, and offer him something to what Zito got or even more. Bedard if and when he makes it to FA, he will become the highest paid starter in the league.

We all love Bedard, but taking everything into consideration (durability, $$$, possible trade return, him not being happy in Baltimore), it will be hard to convince me that the best course of action here is not to trade him. To me, it would seem like it would be best for both parties.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As soon as 5 or more years are requested, i say no deal.
I wouldn't mind making them option years, even vesting option years based on IP over the previous few seasons, but I agree guaranteeing 5 would be difficult. Guaranteeing anything longer than that would be a certain deal-breaker.

That is how I would expect things to play out...Yes. I don't know if he would be traded this winter but I would think by the trading deadline anyway.

I am hoping they don't hold out...With Mazzone gone, Hernandez possibly gone, Tejada gone, et al...He may be unhappy, perform a little worse....he could get hurt.

Just trade him now...I am sure the offers for him will be enough.

But what I can tell you is, Bedard doesnt really like it here in Baltimore. We could all guess that. But the O's are the ones that will have to beg here. If they really want to bring Bedard back they have to build a winner, and offer him something to what Zito got or even more. Bedard if and when he makes it to FA, he will become the highest paid starter in the league.

If this is truly the way Bedard feels, then the O's extending him is much riskier than JUST health issues. You also must be concerned with his heart. How do we know he won't continue to milk injuires, or not work hard to make it back from minor injuries, like the pblique that took him out for the final month of the season. Bedard IS a great pitcher, but he is one injury or bad attitude away from being out of the game. The more we discuss this, the more the asnwer is obvious...trade him and get 2 or 3 pices of the puzzle. Even if he WANTED to stay, I don't know that a 18 million/year pitcher is worth the price on a team with so many other holes.

Im tired of his act. I thought maybe he would see the green light with Mazzone but if Mazzone cant help him who will?

Problem with DCab is you can't give him away.

I am not sure what his value is right now....I could see it still being very good or poor...If it is poor, you can't trade him.

If he has good value, then you have to look to move him.

I am hoping they don't hold out...With Mazzone gone, Hernandez possibly gone, Tejada gone, et al...He may be unhappy, perform a little worse....he could get hurt.

Im kind of curious to see what kind of offers the O's would get for him.

I agree, the potential loss of value is much greater than the potential gain in value between now and July. Play it safe and trade him now. I still think the Dodgers are the best target.

I know!!!! If the right things happen I can see them being a good team in '09.

Right and this should be the goal.....This offseason we should be looking to trade as much as we can...get in as much top young talent as possible and throws these kids into the fire next year.

By 2009/2010, with the arms that we have, we could contend.

And, at the very least, we will have saved money to maybe go out and get that Teixeira type bat and start to actually look like a baseball team.

Plus, we will be able to compete with all the other young talent in the division.

Zito, when he signed, had won 102 major league games. He had pitched 200+ innings for 6 seasons in a row -- something Bedard has yet to do even once. And he was a free agent, with zero risk of suffering an injury before reaching free agency.

IF Bedard has two fully healthy seasons where he pitches as effectively as he did in 2007, THEN he might be in position to earn a Zito-like deal. However, he'll be two years older than Zito was when he signed his deal.

Nobody in their right mind would pay Bedard Zito money right now. And I'm sure Bedard's agents know this.

Archived