Chris Tillman 87-89 MPH

JDBirds10

Pitch f/x confirmed velocity ranging from 87-89mph on the heater. Although it appeared on television that several of his pitches were more like a cutter.

But overall, very disappointed in the velo. Seemed like Tillman was not leveraging his legs much, just gliding instead of driving with his lower body. His fastball was a little bit better against TB, so perhaps he was a bit affected by the colder weather.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lack of velocity and lack of command... I don't mind giving him his shot as long as Bergesen is ahead of him on the depth chard. Bergy has more velocity now and better movement. If he gets in his rhythm and has everything working, he just mows batters down with groundballs! If he doesn't, well... something like we got the other day. But he hasn't gotten the chance to work into form just yet.

I don't know what is wrong with him, but his stuff clearly isn't swing and miss right now. I'm particularly talking about his fastball. If that was a tick or two higher consistently, I think his change and curve would really play up well. As it stands, the only reason he can get by is because of his change in particular. His fastball is a liability.

According to Melewski, (as stated on his radio show last night after the game) the velocity drop is partly by design.

Tillman feels he gets better movement (and better control) with a lowered velocity.

My own thoughts are you have a guy trying to use more 2 seamers, and cutters... and has mentioned that he altered his mechanics. That accounts for some of the drop seen, and if he is doing any drop by design that also explains the drop partly. That said, when you go to 2 strikes on the first 4 hitters last night, and 3 of them reach base - maybe you got to rare back and give them something else to account for.

That is, if you physically can, and to me that has to be in question.

If he his healthy, and cant/wont throw harder... he has to get the curve over for strikes a bit more, and show better control locating his fastball. Like SG, I'd like to see the change-up even more.

As has been pointed out, DCab thought the same thing and the results sucked.

We will see...He is clearly a work in progress.

He can work in the upper 80s if the command is there..on all of his pitches. But if its not, he will get destroyed.

He's 22......he'll be 23 in 10 days...but your point is validated.

They also are all over him about location and not putting men on. That and I never really saw a dead arm outing of his this spring and I watched/listened to them all. If that is his bad start- I'll take it.

I think as the season warms up and he gets used to his new delivery he will "sit" at 90-92 for his fastball, while reaching up to 94/95 or so if called on. I just can't see how someone so young without any injury can lose velocity that drastically.

Interesting remark from Buck last night, re: Tillman:scratchchinhmm:.

"Young guy we hope learns from the experiences that he's getting here," Showalter said. "These guys are getting a chance until some other people might get back. We'd like to see them seize the opportunity".........:scratchchinhmm:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/04/more-on-hardy-and-9-5-win.html

As has been pointed out, DCab thought the same thing and the results sucked.

We will see...He is clearly a work in progress.

He can work in the upper 80s if the command is there..on all of his pitches. But if its not, he will get destroyed.

This is it in a nutshell for Tillman. He needs to pitch like Koji if his FB isn't any faster than Koji's.

I'd rather him be the guy consistently working up in the zone at 92-93, capable of hitting 95... vs. trying to work down, and not breaking 89.5 last night.

Should be interesting to watch. Hope he gets consistent starts and we see what happens month to month.

Agree about the location comment. Aside from the lacking velocity, that was the one thing I was most discouraged about with Tillman - very few fastballs at the knees, all seemed mid thigh or higher (contrast that with Britton who lives at the knees). Commanding the upper portion of the zone at 88mph is a recipe to get rocked. I get that the big curve plays off a high fastball, but if all he gets is 88mph, I'd rather he go back to the old approach, get more velo and be high fastball/big curve/occasional change type pitcher.

For reference, here is a pitch location chart of last night's start from Tillman. Notice how few pitches in the lower half of the zone. In particular, his "misses" were high, with virtually no misses below the zone. Without any misses down there, it's almost like he isn't trying to pitch low in the zone.

&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=

Archived