Mazzaro Yields 14 ER in Relief

Ooooooohhhh!!!!

When I saw that Cleveland was pounding KC I checked the box score and found that Vin Mazzaro had allowed 14 ER in relief. He pitched 2 1/3 innings and allowed 11 hits and three walks. The starter, Kyle Davies, only pitched 1/3 of an inning, so I assume they made Mazzaro bite the bullet to try and save some bullpen arms.

I have no idea where that ranks in the annals of awful relief appearances, but I imagine it has to be up there.

From Rotoworld:

Vin Mazzaro made the wrong kind of baseball history in the Royals' blowout loss to the Indians on Monday, becoming the first pitcher since 1998, and just the third since 1947, to allow 14 earned runs in a game.

Not only that, he became the first player in modern baseball history (1900 onward) to allow 14 earned runs in less than three innings of work, as he could record just five outs in between all the carnage. He was pressed into action after starter Kyle Davies left with a shoulder injury and Nate Adcock was ineffective in relief. The "outing" leaves Mazzaro with a 22.74 ERA and 3.79 WHIP in 6 1/3 innings this season. He has already been optioned to Triple-A Omaha.

I thought he got seven outs, not five like they say.

Archived