Orioles' 2011 Draftees Signing Tracker

Do some research, find out what the success rates are for each round. The chances of a 46th round pick making it to the big leagues much less making an impact. Are really slim.

I count six players drafted in the 46th round since 2000 who have made it to the majors. All six declined to sign after being drafted in the 46th round, and were re-drafted later. One is our own Blake Davis, drafted by the Indians out of high school before going to Cal State - Fullerton. The most successful of the six was Dallas Braden, drafted by the Braves out of high school before going to Texas Tech.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I am so happy about Chalas, Rodriguez and Bernhadina down in the Gulf Coast League I can't wait to get rid of McFail and watch what we do with a REAL GM that spends in Latin America.

I have been a fan of this team since 1966 when I was 12 years old and started following sports. I remember the good old days when the Orioles were synonomous with a deep farm system and player development.

I know times have changed but if butt-hole cities like Cleveland and Tampa can compete, we still can.

I'm only 58. I will outlive you Peter A. Times will get better.

Waynebug

I count six players drafted in the 46th round since 2000 who have made it to the majors. All six declined to sign after being drafted in the 46th round, and were re-drafted later. One is our own Blake Davis, drafted by the Indians out of high school before going to Cal State - Fullerton. The most successful of the six was Dallas Braden, drafted by the Braves out of high school before going to Texas Tech.

So 6 out of 330 =.018

So 6 out of 330 =.018

You should read Tony's explanation of how the draft works a few posts back. In this case (Reyes) and in the case that Frobby pointed out (Braden), these guys are talented enough to go much earlier in the draft. They go that late because they most likely are going to honor their college commitment. Teams take them and hope that a ton of money changes their mind. Reyes was selected in the 46th round, but he's not a 46th round talent.

From Jim Callis chat today:

Brooks (Baltimore): Do the O's get Esposito, Coats and Delmonico signed? Sure could use an influx of talent in that system.

Jim Callis: In order: yes, no, maybe.

I really hope that the answer to all three is yes. We have signed very few position players so far and these are absolute need to sign picks. I think the 20-25 number of signees Jordan stated is likely since we have been stuck on 16 for a while now. We have signed by far the fewest picks in baseball at this point. I am okay with it as long as we get the picks that matter like those listed above and Ruettiger and maybe an overlot HS Pitcher or two like Zach Davis. Most guys turn out to be organizational guys anyway so I will take quality over quantity.

Tony, I respect your opinion and you have forgotten more about baseball than I ever knew. I just have a problem w/ the O's doing things differently than all the other teams in baseball when the O's have had maybe the worst minor league system over the last 20+ years. I also agree that shortening the draft to 30 rounds is a good idea. The O's need to figure out a way to get more young talent in the organization than just about any other ML team.

Archived