Heyman: Teams calling O's for Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy

JTrea81

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the guys saying hold on to the guys mentioned here are nuts. I don't mean any disrespect..it's just the O's have no where near enough talent right now to compete.

If the Orioles trade all four of the guys and add Guthrie , JOhnson, Uehara, and whomever elsenthat has any value for a pile of players we could excelerate the process to just a couple of seasons like the Indians.

I think we need two plus players for each guy and it has to be quality...But if done right imagine the possibilities.

We need Alonso, Blanks, or one of the Diamondbacks 1B ...I prefer the guy at AA....But the guy at AAA would do... Let's go AM let's get something right for a change.

IMO the guys saying hold on to the guys mentioned here are nuts. I don't mean any disrespect..it's just the O's have no where near enough talent right now to compete.

If the Orioles trade all four of the guys and add Guthrie , JOhnson, Uehara, and whomever elsenthat has any value for a pile of players we could excelerate the process to just a couple of seasons like the Indians.

I think we need two plus players for each guy and it has to be quality...But if done right imagine the possibilities.

We need Alonso, Blanks, or one of the Diamondbacks 1B ...I prefer the guy at AA....But the guy at AAA would do... Let's go AM let's get something right for a change.

Funny stuff!

Trade Adam Jones & Jim Johnson to Atlanta for Julio Teharen.

Trade JJ Hardy to Cinci for Alonzo and Cozart

Trade Guthrie to St. Louis for Rasmus

Trade Reynolds to Milwaukee for Gamel & Tyler Thornburg

Trade Markakis to San Fran for Gary Brown & Eric Surkamp

My bad.. I was dreaming again.

Lol, sad thing is there's a lot of people on here that think we could do that. I think a lot of people are going to very disappointed in our returns for some of our players. Especially for Guthrie. He's suddenly turned into a King Felix type talent on the OH. Where in reality he's no better than a number 4. People actually thought that C. Rasmus wasn't enough for him.

Trading our best players=Getting better?????????

Explain please

There is the point of establishing a large pool of talent within the Machado/Shoop/Bundy age bracket and have them come up simultaneously. Basically sacrificing the next several years for a future attempt to become competitive.

I do not agree.

NO!!!!!

to these trades:eek:

Cindy, I know you love the Orioles and love the players, but even YOU have to draw the line someone with the losing. How can you cotinue to stand by the players that continue to lose night after night? At some point, even the fan favorites like Kakes and Roberts need to go.

I like Markakis a lot, but two things make me want to see what we can get for him. One, the $14 million per year price tag is something you typically see for more impact players than Markakis. But the money doesn't bother me as much as number two, which Keith Law alluded to, I think Kakes is just burned out from the losing. HE sees the same things WE see...ie a losing culture, a piss poor organization, and NO hope for anything changing. I'd like to see what we could get for Kakes. If we can trade him for two studs, then move Guts and somebody for Rasmus, our outfield could be Jones in left, Rasmus in Center, and Reimold in right.

Nobody's untouchable. But I'm not trading Nick just because he has some money coming. I'd need two potential studs to trade him (or Jones).

His salary will knock down his value a bit. No one is going to trade the farm for a player who has declined over 3 years and is owed serious money for the next 3 or 4 or whatever it is.

Your arrogance is mind boggling. Tell me why you would trade one of the best CFs in all of baseball? Who is inconsistent? He is having an outstanding year and may win a second gold glove.

Simmer down. Jones is having a very good year, but he has also had very hot stretches in the past and balanced them out with very cold streaks. That may be happening right now. As for defense, he is capable of making great plays, but is also capable of mental lapses. Gold gloves mean nothing. Derek Jeter has five of them.

I like Jones, but I don't know what to expect year in year out or month in month out. I think he is our most valuable trade chip and if the right package came along, I would have no hesitation in dealing him. I am fine with keeping him too, but he is not untouchable to me. We have to make tough decisions to get better instead of just spinning our wheels.

He is a very good player, but I think he gets a little overrated at times.

There is the point of establishing a large pool of talent within the Machado/Shoop/Bundy age bracket and have them come up simultaneously. Basically sacrificing the next several years for a future attempt to become competitive.

I do not agree.

Just curious, if we are not winning with this group of players, what are we sacrificing exactly?

Nick is under control for three years, and a cheap Markakis solves a lot of internal $$ issues coming up. I don't think they take him for his contract price, but Baltimore swallowing a chunk of it and they would get interested quickly.

Just wondering about how much do you think Baltimore would have to eat and would it be worth it long term if someone like Dom Brown would be coming back in that package? Or would someone like Singleton or Cosart potentially be the main attraction of a deal?

[Nick's] salary will knock down his value a bit. No one is going to trade the farm for a player who has declined over 3 years and is owed serious money for the next 3 or 4 or whatever it is.

I'm not expecting another team to "trade the farm." But I don't think Nick's salary is going to be a huge impediment to getting a lot back in a trade. Heck, Vernon Wells was worth about 2 rWAR per year from 2007-10, was owed $86 mm over this year and the next 3, and the Jays still were able to get Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera for him. I think people here sometimes overrate Nick, but he is sometimes underrated , too. He hits .290+ every year, he almost never misses a game, he plays smart baseball and does many things well. That has a lot of value.

Funny stuff!

How is that funny stuff?

Jones and Markakis should require at least 2 quality prospects each ...Plus a lesser guy that AM seems to squeeze out of teams. Hardy is attractive to the Reds, Giants, and possibly the Dbacks. In just the Reds situation the deal for Cozart and Alonso is more than a fair deal for the Reds (that's 6 guys if you're counting). I'm uncertain of Reynold real value but Dierkes said a few teams considered him a upgrade over what they had. The point here is you don't give any of these guys away .... But if you can make the right deal do it. Let's say the Orioles could get one B type and 2lesser types for Reynolds. (9). Guthrie could well be the best SP available ... There could well be a number of teams bidding on him. I don't him to expect him to net Rasmus....I'd could see adding something to it or trade for 2 more B types (11). add Sherrill like return for Johnson and 1quality guy for Koji (14). I think you'd have a chance of getting good fast. I'm not certain AM could pull this off if he wanted to ...But that's better than what will likely happen... a minor move or two that really doesn't improve the team much. Remember that this team is a last place team by 15 or so games and has no real minor league depth. .... Funny is what it will be if the organization wastes another year wishing and hoping for a miraculous turn around and it's yearly influx of the bottom of the Barrel free agents.

Is Markakis' salary really an albatross? Between his defensive improvements, his hot streak, and the league-wide damper on offense, his WAR right in line with his salary at the moment.

No, it's not. It's only an albatross if you think he's no better than a 100 OPS+ player with mediocre defense going forward. Well, even then its just a poor deal, not an albatross. Trea simply has problems with projections. $14M a year for a 120 OPS+ right fielder with 0 to +5 defense is just fine.

Trading our best players=Getting better?????????

Explain please

If your core of good players leads you to endless 70-win seasons as they get older and more expensive, it's plausible that some better teams looking to fill immediate weaknesses would be willing to give you more young talent with more uncertainty in their performances in return. Adding that young talent to the necessary products from a hypothetically improved farm could lead to more than 70 wins in some future season.

Archived