Heyman: Teams calling O's for Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy

JTrea81

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually think Trea has some valid points at times, but I can't get behind waiving Markakis due to a lack of value. Markakis was worth a combined 12.6 WAR over the 2006-2008 seasons. His 2008 WAR of 6.3 was better than the WAR of his 2009, 2010 and half of 2011 seasons combined as he has only been worth 6.3 WAR over that time span. In that same time span Johnny Damon has been worth 6.9! Considering Markakis' defensive reputation I find it shocking that a guy like Damon at the age of 35-37 has had more value over the last 2.5 years. Markakis is 10 years his junior and considered to be in his prime years at this point.

IMO, the waiving Markakis idea is solely based on who made the decision to extend him.

There is the point of establishing a large pool of talent within the Machado/Shoop/Bundy age bracket and have them come up simultaneously. Basically sacrificing the next several years for a future attempt to become competitive.

I do not agree.

If your core of good players leads you to endless 70-win seasons as they get older and more expensive, it's plausible that some better teams looking to fill immediate weaknesses would be willing to give you more young talent with more uncertainty in their performances in return. Adding that young talent to the necessary products from a hypothetically improved farm could lead to more than 70 wins in some future season.

Ahhhh, this is kind of like how our young pitching we waited for would bail us out of our "endless 70-win seasons."

So...WHO the heck is calling for Markakis? Red Sox, Phillies. And honestly Reynolds too (this has to be an AL team right)?

I'm more interested in who these teams might be and what their systems look like right...

My guesses for Reynolds are Detroit and Cleveland. Maybe St. Louis or Pittsburgh.

You keep saying this and it makes no sense. Hate on AM all you want, but getting value back in trades is the one thing at which he has been consistently excellent.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I will say he has made 'some' good trades, and some bad trades. It doesn't come down to trades ONLY that I refer to. His acquisition record is not all that great, his supposed stockpiling the minors is where? I also look at the lack of trades he has missed on. We should have traded Wigginton last year.. we all knew he had value at the trade deadline, and he was leaving. I don't hate MacPhail, the only person I do not like is PA, and that is my honest feeling.

My point remains unchanged. I'm not all that confident in the O's getting something back in return for our own good young players. If it comes down to a few trades, I'll still hope I'm wrong.

1) He isn't having an outstanding year.

2) He should only win the GG if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are doing the voting.

LMAO!

I'm an Adam Jones fan, but I agree with you in that he quite often gets WAY overrated. I know I wasn't the only one two years ago that "WTF'd?!?!" when he won the Gold Glove. He makes some highlight reel catches, but he'd definitely look better in left field.

LMAO!

I'm an Adam Jones fan, but I agree with you in that he quite often gets WAY overrated. I know I wasn't the only one two years ago that "WTF'd?!?!" when he won the Gold Glove. He makes some highlight reel catches, but he'd definitely look better in left field.

I have said it before and I still believe it..Within this site and Oriole fans in general, Jones is both underrated and overrated.

The truth lies in the middle. He is a good player who still has some upside. He isn't a franchise player though and we shouldn't be treating him as one.

Do you guys believe that the O's wont trade any of their "core players" because they have invested so much into these guys: marketing (2110), t-shirts, giveaways (bobbleheads), commercials, etc? Because I do.

"If we trade these guys those fans will have t-shirts and bobbleheads that mean NOTHING!" -- Something like this could very well be spoken around the warehouse.

Do you guys believe that the O's wont trade any of their "core players" because they have invested so much into these guys: marketing (2110), t-shirts, giveaways (bobbleheads), commercials, etc? Because I do.

"If we trade these guys those fans will have t-shirts and bobbleheads that mean NOTHING!" -- Something like this could very well be spoken around the warehouse.

I don't think so. They sent Nolan down last year and then had a Bobblehead night for him, and Matusz has a bobblehead in Augst and he very well might not be here either.

I truly think they believe that they "owe us" these "superstars" and would be hurting the fanbase by trading them. That's how out of touch with reality that these guys are!

A huge problem with the O's ever completely rebuilding under MacPhail is his pace. He's just too methodical to multiplex effectively. (And) there's really no point in trading 1 or 2 guys. If we're going to rebuild, we should really trade 'em all (Markakis, Jones, Guts, Gonzalez, Gregg, Koji, JJ, Hardy, Reynolds, Luke) and really stockpile the minors with some talent that can come up together.

Otherwise we should sign Hardy and go into next year with BRob, Hardy, Reynolds, Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Weiters, Luke, and 1 hole at 1B. In this scenario we really can't expect to improve the team much, because with really no impact players at AAA or AA we can't trade from the ML team and net any gain at the ML level. We'd just have to hope that that lineup is good enough to be a lot better than it is now, and that the young starters get straighted out.

I know it isn't popular, but I would trade them all for the right return. I think they should blow it up like they should have several years ago and become the youngest ML team with a system full of promising players. If that could be accomplished I would trade anyone on this team. But that takes courage, and so it won't happen.

I know it isn't popular, but I would trade them all for the right return. I think they should blow it up like they should have several years ago and become the youngest ML team with a system full of promising players. If that could be accomplished I would trade anyone on this team. But that takes courage, and so it won't happen.

Me too and I think any fan who really understands baseball will understand that this is the best route at this time. It doesn't make sense to put $50M-$60M into numerous resources that will do nothing for you 3-5 years from now. I find myself wishing I can be the one on the phones to make these sort of deals.

Archived