Huff on Anita Marks today at 4

O no

18 of your last 24 post on the subject have been the same. Most have moved on to raiding the Dodgers farm system and letting people vent if they fell the need. You just can't rest until you apologize for every player’s obtuse actions. I think Tony-OH was dead on in that regard.
You see, if people didn't continue to say stupid stuff like this, I'd shut up. If you think I'm appologizing for Huff's behavior, you simply can't read. I will say this one more time though I'm sure you won't get it. To applologize for someones behavior is to defend it. I'm not defending it or attacking it, I'm defending his right to behave as he pleses within the law and take the consequences(the wrath of PA e.g.)and I'm taking exception to what I see as didngenuous posturing.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At times like these, I think about what Tommy LaSorda used to tell his players:

"If you worry too much about what the fans think, you'll end up sitting with them in the stands sooner than later"

Now, trade Huff for a bag of balls, not because of his unique joystick hand-eye coordination training, but because he looked like a monstrous hitter from ages 25-27, but has regressed during his "prime" years. Probably because he already has more $$$ than he'll ever need and he's been able to get by on raw ability and his hangover remedy of choice all his life. He'll be 31 on opening day. Let it be in someone else's uniform.

You see, if people didn't continue to say stupid stuff like this, I'd shut up. If you think I'm appologizing for Huff's behavior, you simply can't read. I will say this one more time though I'm sure you won't get it. To applologize for someones behavior is to defend it. I'm not defending it or attacking it, I'm defending his right to behave as he pleses within the law and take the consequences(the wrath of PA e.g.)and I'm taking exception to what I see as didngenuous posturing.

2/3 of the people you quoted and responded to did not comment on the video, nice try.

Fixed that for you. As you can see from the above post I made, Huff's second half #'s were excellent. He had a miserable first half but then worked hard with Crowley to fix his swing. He isn't a no talented hack like everyone is trying to make him out to be. You don't have those kind of second half #'s without any skill. If he can be motivated (and after this scandal my guess is he will be now by Trembley and the rest of the coaching staff), my guess is he'd have less of a first half slump.

I don't care what his first and second half numbers were, his total line was .280/.337/.442 That's a .779 OPS, not to mention the fact that he had only 15 home runs and subtracts value with his defense and baserunning. That just doesn't cut it. And his last two years were .813 and .749 OPS respectively, so I don't think he'll get any better.

This eating salary is all well and good but let's see how much we'd actually have to eat on these guys.

Huff has 16 million left on his contract, Gibbons has 12 million, Payton has 5 million For these players you would get no better than a Tike Redman/Luis Hernandez guy and you are going to have to pay most of the salary to get rid of these guys - probably 60-80%. Is it really worth 20-26 million to get back three Luis Hernandezs?

Huff out of all three of them has been the most productive but is owed the most money. And he's the only one of those three who went on a second half tear. Emotions aside, as I could care less if he compared Baltimore to a sewage treatment plant, he put up an .897 OPS after the break 2nd to only Nick Markakis. Why would we want to trade that and 10-13 million for essentially nothing?

I was up last night and this occured to me:

Which is worse? A DUI/ DWI/ Drug charge or painting a hooker?

Think of all the Ravens and other Orioles players, even Sydney Ponson, that we as a community have given second chances to over stuff that I contend is far more serious than huff's charge.

I think it really speaks to the moral wackiness of this country. Violence and drugs we can somehow deal with, but throw in some sex and people go insane "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" "HE DEFAMED THE ORGANIZATION!"

Inadvertent South Park quote. Nicely done.

Queue a naked Erik Cartman, who believes he is invisible, slinking across a stage in front of large group of people.

Because as usaual people are being disengenous about it IMO . You can't convince me that all this indignation is over the use of the word horses@#! as opposed to saying "B'more's nightlife sucks". It's about the fact they don't like Huff's prformance. Well fine complain about that instaed of all this pious holier and thou Horse$#@! crap:rolleyes:

I didn't have much of a problem with him saying it initially, because I knew it was out of context and just a poor choice of words at the time. I started having a problem with it when he tried to act like nobody should ever be offended by it.

I don't care what his first and second half numbers were, his total line was .280/.337/.442 That's a .779 OPS, not to mention the fact that he had only 15 home runs and subtracts value with his defense and baserunning. That just doesn't cut it. And his last two years were .813 and .749 OPS respectively, so I don't think he'll get any better.

He could if he'd put down his wood and pick up his bat.:D

I didn't have much of a problem with him saying it initially, because I knew it was out of context and just a poor choice of words at the time. I started having a problem with it when he tried to act like nobody should ever be offended by it.

Yeah, like many things. It wasnt' the "act" it was the act that followed the act.

All he had to say (or have his agent release a statement) when this became an issue was "I am sorry. I apologize to the Baltimore organization and fans for my conduct. It was inappropriate and I used bad judgement. I will use better judgement next time. I am looking forward to having a great year next year in Baltimore. ...... Blah blah blah "

Then the issue would have been dead and faded away.

Instead he threw gasoline on the fire.

What an idiot.

Yeah, like many things. It wasnt' the "act" it was the act that followed the act.

All he had to say (or have his agent release a statement) when this became an issue was "I am sorry. I apologize to the Baltimore organization and fans for my conduct. It was inappropriate and I used bad judgement. I will use better judgement next time. I am looking forward to having a great year next year in Baltimore. ...... Blah blah blah "

Then the issue would have been dead and faded away.

Instead he threw gasoline on the fire.

What an idiot.

Welll you have to ask yourself - is it worth paying 10-13 million to get the idiot and his .897 OPS post all star performance off the team?

I say no...

Archived