How can Penn be this bad????

Flosman

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three very bad outings is tough and I hope he's not mentally damaged by this. If he continues to perform like that for the end of the season I think they should not even consider him for the rotation next year but tell him that they trust him but want to give him some more time in AAA next year.

Two questions:

1. When will Penn be a FA? Did his clock start in 2005 when they called him up for those few starts?

2. Could they send him to the AFL? Just to regain his confidence.

We all need to be patient with Penn. He knows he is pitching poorly. Maybe the appendectomy "sp" he had is still bothering him.

Maybe he's just a great stat career in AAA guy.

It happens.

He was pitching well after his appendectomy in AAA.

Maybe he's just a great stat career in AAA guy.

It happens.

He was pitching well after his appendectomy in AAA.

There's no such thing as a pitcher who puts up a 2.00 ERA in AAA with good peripherials who translates to Jose Lima-after-a-drinking-binge in the majors. It simply doesn't happen over the long haul.

I have no explanation for Penn's problems, but it's not "he has a AAA ceiling."

There's no such thing as a pitcher who puts up a 2.00 ERA in AAA with good peripherials who translates to Jose Lima-after-a-drinking-binge in the majors. It simply doesn't happen over the long haul.

I have no explanation for Penn's problems, but it's not "he has a AAA ceiling."

Let's hope you are right.

But, there is a difference between AAA and MLB. Not every pitcher can make the adjustments needed.

There are many pitchers who have had success (with good periperials) in AAA who never came close to the same performance level in MLB.

I know that the better the AAA performance increases the probability of success at the MLB level, but there have been many pitchers who tank at this level after success in AA/AAA.

Let's hope you are right.

But, there is a difference between AAA and MLB. Not every pitcher can make the adjustments needed.

There are many pitchers who have had success (with good periperials) in AAA who never came close to the same performance level in MLB.

I know that the better the AAA performance increases the probability of success at the MLB level, but there have been many pitchers who tank at this level after success in AA/AAA.

Injuries aside, how many pitchers, who were always younger than his competition, pitched great at every level in the minors and then came up and totally failed in the majors?

Everyone reading this thread needs to look at the other Penn thread started by bgfield, to see VaTech's explanation. He's a former college pitcher and he knows his stuff...he makes a very convincing case that Penn is tipping his pitches.

Every pitcher tips his pitches.

It is just a matter of how.

The more obvious, the easier it is to "crack the code".

It is impossible to do the exact mechanics for a changeup,fastball, curveball, etc.

Still, with really good stuff- it is still hard to hit even if you know its coming.

Some of the more subtle stuff that VaTech explained in his post will not be picked up by most hitters. It has to be something fairly obvious to be helpful- the hitter has a fraction of a second to pick up this key (the "tip").

And when did he start tipping ? The minor league scouts/coaches should have been able to pick up on it, yet he dominated down there.

Go figure.

It is probably a combination of tipping a pitch (or two) and not trusting his stuff and overthrowing/trying to be to precise.

Hopefully, he gets it worked out and ends the year on a good note.

Injuries aside, how many pitchers, who were always younger than his competition, pitched great at every level in the minors and then came up and totally failed in the majors?

Younger than his competition ? :rolleyes:

Did you check all the birth certificates ?:rolleyes:

What is the next qualifier that you are going to throw into the mix ?

Pitching great ? This year perhaps, but his career ERA in the minors entering this season is 3.89 and WHIP is 1.25, less than 1K per IP, command rate of 2.7

That is all very good, but not great, for minor league numbers mostly accrued in low minors.

Younger than his competition ? :rolleyes:

Did you check all the birth certificates ?:rolleyes:

I guess i should stop trying to have an intelligent conversation with you. :rolleyes:

Pitching great ? This year perhaps, but his career ERA in the minors entering this season is 3.89 and WHIP is 1.25, less than 1K per IP, command rate of 2.7

His HR rate, K rate and command rate are all well above average.

Still waiting for that list of pitchers.

Archived