Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

Much like Klentak is there for specific experience, I have a feeling Lou is there for specific legal experience. If this were another team and some of the legal council were there it wouldn't be that interesting, but I think we are just reading into it because he's a son of PA. He is the heir to the law firm and has no interest in the team, so I'm sure him being there for the interviews is to use part of his skill set (and probably as a 3rd party non-biased opinion, whereas John may have a certain agenda PA doesn't agree with.)

So with PA and Smouse in the room Lou is there for legal experience?

I don't think that is it.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Smouse was the legal counsel. John would make sense, from an Angelos' standpoint, because he is a senior executive with the club.

Right, he's the team's legal council, but Lou is just a high level lawyer for a firm, doesn't have anything to do with the team. That's why I think he's just in there for some specific skill. Maybe he handles all the high level interviews at the law firm so they want his experience. This isn't a situation where you use say a VP of Human Resources, so interview/hiring skills probably not high up on some of these guys' skill sets.

If John has a certain philosophy about things that PA doesn't necessarily agree with, I'd expect PA to leave him out of these things until the club is his. OR more likely John is busy and just couldn't be there.

I just don't think Lou is there because of a team thing, I think he's there because it's an interview thing.

So with PA and Smouse in the room Lou is there for legal experience?

I don't think that is it.

Right, I never said that skill he was there for was legal skill. I mean you need lawyers when you are talking terms and contract, but hopefully they wouldn't be at this level. I'm guessing that Lou has experience in something to do with the hiring process the others don't.

Right, I never said that skill he was there for was legal skill. I mean you need lawyers when you are talking terms and contract, but hopefully they wouldn't be at this level. I'm guessing that Lou has experience in something to do with the hiring process the others don't.
Your guess is as good as mine what that would be because he has been away from the club for several years. So what could he be there for, other than as a redundant lawyer?
The interviews, which will be conducted by a committee that likely includes manager Buck Showalter, principal owner Peter Angelos, his son Lou Angelos, club general counsel H. Russell Smouse and baseball operations director Matt Klentak, are the first step in replacing Andy MacPhail, who stepped down this month as president of baseball operations.
Likely, means he doesn't know for sure.

Your guess is as good as mine what that would be because he has been away from the club for several years. So what could he be there for, other than as a redundant lawyer?

Likely, means he doesn't know for sure.

Very true. I was just trying to think of a reason he would be there, because as a lawyer it makes no sense.

I mean I know Louis DID help with setting up the Greek Olympic team back in the early 2000's, so maybe he's got some interviewing experience from that? Or I thought maybe he's on the interview board or is managing partner at the firm or something. Got me...

I think AS is right...Lou had nothing to do with the team..ever.

Again, things may have changed but I doubt it.

While he seems to be redundant, perhaps there is a specific reason they need him there and it probably has very little to do with baseball.

They probably make all candidates sign a confidentiality agreement that they will not say anything poor about the organization and will take blame for everything when their plan fails, even though its really "Peter's plan."

They had permission the same day the O's got it. May or may not interview him this weekend. A.A. has also said LaCava has open permission to interview anywhere he'd like.

Great, who would you rather GM for. Thats what happens when you drag your feet. It gives everyone else with the same needs, a chance to jump in.

Great, who would you rather GM for. Thats what happens when you drag your feet. It gives everyone else with the same needs, a chance to jump in.

The Angels, but there are more qualified GM's in the waiting than there are positions. I hope the Orioles get Tony LaCava anyhow so I actually hope that Dipoto goes to the Angels. LaCava has been rumored to be the top GM candidate for the last 2-3 years and the Cardinals, Nationals, Pirates and Mariners have had serious interest. When he was the top candidate for the Nationals job in 2009 as a possible replacement for Bowen, here is what Keith Law had to say:

"going from Jim Bowden to Tony LaCava would be like going from Austin Kearns to Albert Pujols."

LaCava also has ties to the Angels as he came through as a scout and regional cross checker.

Archived