Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

And I think it's logical conclusion based on how they were playing at the beginning of the season compared to how they were playing at the end of the season. There doesn't have to be a "player A wasn't playing in Game 1, but was playing in Game 13" kind of scenario. At the beginning of the season, they weren't playing well...certainly not like a top 10 team would. At the end of the season, they were.

It doesn't mean I think USC wouldn't have beat them if they played later in the season. I just don't think it's entirely fair to compare the Auburn/VaTech game with the USC/VaTech game as evidence that USC was clearly better, because it simplifies things too much. In general, you have to be careful when comparing like opponents because that can be a shaky thing to do. (Especially when the games are played 4 months apart.) But, I suppose that's what we're left with considering the system we have in place.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I think it's logical conclusion based on how they were playing at the beginning of the season compared to how they were playing at the end of the season. There doesn't have to be a "player A wasn't playing in Game 1, but was playing in Game 13" kind of scenario. At the beginning of the season, they weren't playing well...certainly not like a top 10 team would. At the end of the season, they were.

It doesn't mean I think USC wouldn't have beat them if they played later in the season. I just don't think it's entirely fair to compare the Auburn/VaTech game with the USC/VaTech game as evidence that USC was clearly better, because it simplifies things too much. In general, you have to be careful when comparing like opponents because that can be a shaky thing to do. (Especially when the games are played 4 months apart.) But, I suppose that's what we're left with considering the system we have in place.

You can't really make that statement based off one game though. Other than that one slip, there isn't anything about their schedule that points to them playing much better late in the season compared to early in the season.

And I didn't use is as evidence that USC was clearly better. I didn't even say USC was clearly better. I said they clearly deserved to be in the title game imo, and obviously so when using hindsight.

Oklahoma State is making a very strong argument tonight for NCG consideration. Considering how things have played out' date=' I'd really like to see: OSU vs. Alabama, winner plays LSU for the title.[/quote']

That would be the ideal system this year. OK St could get in there. They might actually be more deserving, and possibly a better team.

Every year I find less and less reason to care about college football, because the people in the sport give me less and less reason to care.

I don't think I even want to watch a bowl game this year. There's no reason to, since none of them matter. Not even the "championship" game.

Especially that game. If Alabama wins all they will have done is split two games against LSU. Since LSU won the conference, there is no excuse to put the Crimson Tide over the Tigers in a final poll. Even if the coaches are required to put the winner of that game in the top spot, how can anyone else justify it?

Fortunately, LSU is going to win and make this just another crappy year in the reign of the BCS. However, so far this year proves more than any other that every game does not count.

Archived