Orioles In Talks With Korean Reliever Chong Tae-Hyon

Brendan25

So last year he walked 25 in 54 innings. But in his career he's walked 2.76 per nine. Not excellent, but much more acceptable. Just one year ago he was coming off a season where he walked 7 in 45 innings.

And yes, lefties hit .292 off of him. But, that was 14-for-47. That's a microscopic sample. Don't know what his splits are in the past, but given that his career ERA is under 2.00, I doubt they're killing him.

I don't see how this is anything but a good risk at $3M. At the very least this isn't the O's annual $5M expenditure on relievers who we know, almost with complete certaintyaren't going to be any better than average.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So last year he walked 25 in 54 innings. But in his career he's walked 2.76 per nine. Not excellent, but much more acceptable. Just one year ago he was coming off a season where he walked 7 in 45 innings.

And yes, lefties hit .292 off of him. But, that was 14-for-47. That's a microscopic sample. Don't know what his splits are in the past, but given that his career ERA is under 2.00, I doubt they're killing him.

I don't see how this is anything but a good risk at $3M. At the very least this isn't the O's annual $5M expenditure on relievers who we know, almost with complete certaintyaren't going to be any better than average.

But what do you think the odds are that a player of his age with his skill set will be average or better? Have any other ML teams even considered offering him a ML contract? You might argue that it's a minimal risk, but I'd rather see that 3.2 million go into the expansion of the Orioles' scouting/development system.

Also, just expanding on his walk rate. IMO, his career rate is extremely deceptive. Obviously, you know it was bad last year. Now, in the year prior, he only walked 8 in 45 innings, which skews the number. In the three seasons before that (aberrant) year, he averaged 3.662 BB/9.

But what do you think the odds are that a player of his age with his skill set will be average or better?

I think submariners age at least as well as other types of pitchers, probably better. There have been many pitchers like him who went on to very long, successful careers.

In any case, if the O's can't risk 2/3rds of a Jay Payton season salary on opening up the Korean market with an unconventional pitcher, they might as well give up. The O's have something like $120M to spend on MLB payroll, plus amateur acquisitions. They can certainly spend ~1%, or $1.6M, a year on someone like this.

I think submariners age at least as well as other types of pitchers, probably better. There have been many pitchers like him who went on to very long, successful careers.

In any case, if the O's can't risk 2/3rds of a Jay Payton season salary on opening up the Korean market with an unconventional pitcher, they might as well give up. The O's have something like $120M to spend on MLB payroll, plus amateur acquisitions. They can certainly spend ~1%, or $1.6M, a year on someone like this.

You'll get no argument from me on that count. In a general sense, I'm not "anti" the signing, per se. There are other ways I'd like to see that cash spent, but it's not going to make me sick to my stomach if Tae-Hyon gets it. I think my initial, and continuing, stance was simply that his signing wouldn't be worth getting excited over, and I don't think it speaks well of the organization as a whole (i.e., in terms of taking it as some kind of sign that the O's are turning things around internationally). It's a "meh" move, IMO.

Rationally, I agree with you. But if this really is $1.6 million per year, I'm not opposed. I hated the Gregg signing. This, at least you realize he's not a closer. And I have a strange feeling that this signing could work out. He could become a folk hero here, of sorts. Bring on the Chong!

I would not bet that Chong is not the closer going into the season. He has been described as a late inning reliever. I don't think that the O's trade for Koji with the signing for Chong. Johnson will probably be at least tried as a starter. The O's want to improve on Gregg as a closer. Strop probably starts the season as a setup man.

I don't see DD spending very much on acquiring a closer and most of the money that is left will go toward adding starters plus a backup catcher. After that I think DD's focus will be on locking up Jones and Wieters long term if possible and trading a few guys for minor leaguers because they are out of options and unlikely to make the team out of ST. But that could actually happen in ST.

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

The holdup in signing South Koran RHP Chong Tae-Hyon isnt medical. He has offers to stay in KBO and heis deciding between that and #Orioles

@danconnollysun Dan Connolly

The #Orioles hope to know within a week or so whether Chong will become the first to make the jump from KBO to majors or stay in Korea

The holdup in signing South Koran RHP Chong Tae-Hyon isnt medical. He has offers to stay in KBO and heis deciding between that and #Orioles

I am laughing at this....somehow I see the groundskeeper guys from "Major League" talking to him saying "those guys really stink!".

@danconnollysun Dan Connolly

The #Orioles hope to know within a week or so whether Chong will become the first to make the jump from KBO to majors or stay in Korea

An opportunity to jump straight to the majors or to stay in Korea?

This is hilarious on so many levels.

I personally hope he stays in Korea.

So I guess Roch was wrong that the holdup was getting physicals done over the Thanksgiving holiday.

He can't even get his excuses right.

Also, Duquette said that the agreement between the Orioles and South Korean submariner Chong Tae-Hyon is "still in process." The right-handed pitcher has been in Baltimore for his physical examination, but his contract has not yet been announced.
source - Connolly, Nov. 28

An opportunity to jump straight to the majors or to stay in Korea?

This is hilarious on so many levels.

Honestly I don't think it's quite this simple. Some players don't want to join teams because they are on a different coast. Now imagine playing on the other side of the world. If the money isn't substantially better...is it really worth it at 33 to pick up if he's got a family back home?

If the guy was 27 I think it might be a different story.

Archived