Orioles In Talks With Korean Reliever Chong Tae-Hyon

Brendan25

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just don't see the need for this guy.

If you are going to try and sign a cheap reliever, why not look for this year's Joel Peralta? A guy who has had good peripherals in the majors and maybe his ERA looks bad because of some bad luck.

I like the idea of looking into a different market and I also like the idea of not worrying about what the radar gun says and just getting someone who you believe can pitch but I don't see why you are going to sign this guy and give him any thing more than $1M for 1 season.

If you are going to try and sign a cheap reliever, why not look for this year's Joel Peralta? A guy who has had good peripherals in the majors and maybe his ERA looks bad because of some bad luck.

I like the idea of looking into a different market and I also like the idea of not worrying about what the radar gun says and just getting someone who you believe can pitch but I don't see why you are going to sign this guy and give him any thing more than $1M for 1 season.

If he pitches well we could sell more than $1M in new apparel.

Marketing. "Look at our international outreach."

Marketing. "Look at our international outreach."

I was at the last Red Sox/Yankees game at the old Yankee stadium. There were several asians in my section, all rooting passionately for Matsui and Okajima. This actually isn't a total non-issue. I doubt one 33 y.o. middle reliever will add much in the way of interest, but if we actually did re-acquire Koji, sign Nakajima and (god forbid, sky falling, locust infestation aside) sign Darvish, the Yard could turn into quite the Asian attraction.

I guess they think the guy will be very good. I have no idea so I won't either praise or criticize the move at this stage. Chad Bradford was worth about 3.2 WAR in 2007-08, so if we could get that level of performance for $3.2 mm total, you wouldn't hear me complaining.

I'm sold. I just bought 4 season tickets.
Peter Angelos thanks you for your support.

I am thinking back to how MacPhail was questioned about our international scouting and his response was basically, "hey we have Simon and Koji, what more do you want?" I know there's a new man in the office with the confederate money in the safe. We'll see if he's allowed to make a difference as he plans to do.

Looking at the few highlights I've seen of the guy, he looks like a submariner who's ball travels up...and not in a good way.

If he makes pitches similar to what I've seen on these videos at the Major League level, he won't be around long.

His home run rate is actually pretty good, what worries me greatly is his walk rate. I have serious doubts that he will be able to throw enough effective strikes to ML hitters.

Well that and I am worried Left handers are going to rip him apart.

Archived