Orioles In Talks With Korean Reliever Chong Tae-Hyon

Brendan25

Honestly I don't think it's quite this simple. Some players don't want to join teams because they are on a different coast. Now imagine playing on the other side of the world. If the money isn't substantially better...is it really worth it at 33 to pick up if he's got a family back home?

If the guy was 27 I think it might be a different story.

Either way, moving from a country and culture in which you grew up, to a foreign country with a different language that is thousands of miles away, is a huge commitment. I am sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't want to do it, even if the professional challenge and the money were tempting.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully, this deal falls through.

Oh, come on. This the Orioles, they are going to spend $15M on random replacement-level relief pitchers this offseason. Might as well make $3M of that have some high entertainment value, in the form of the first KBP player to jump to the majors and a crazy submariner who scrapes his knuckles on the ground. With any luck he throws some pitch he calls the "목 차단기" and he'll do goofy bits on the Jumbotron. So much more potential fun than Jeremy Accardo.

Oh, come on. This the Orioles, they are going to spend $15M on random replacement-level relief pitchers this offseason. Might as well make $3M of that have some high entertainment value, in the form of the first KBP player to jump to the majors and a crazy submariner who scrapes his knuckles on the ground. With any luck he throws some pitch he calls the "목 차단기" and he'll do goofy bits on the Jumbotron. So much more potential fun than Jeremy Accardo.

I see I'm not the only one who misses Japanese language lessons from Koji.

Definitely one of the biggest highlights from the past season.

Since 2007, have the Orioles ever NOT blown money on relief pitchers that have given us negative value? 2004? It'd be an interesting exercise to look at. Depressing, but interesting.

What I appreciate about the Orioles Hangout's international program is it serves me singles ads based on what thread i'm in. We're talking about a Korean pitcher here...I get "meet Korean singles in your area."

A thread about the Cuban Centerfielder, I get "Latin Singles in my Area."

And then most fitting, any Free Agent signing thread...I get "Meet over 40 singles in your area."

What I appreciate about the Orioles Hangout's international program is it serves me singles ads based on what thread i'm in. We're talking about a Korean pitcher here...I get "meet Korean singles in your area."

And then most fitting, any Free Agent signing thread...I get "Meet over 40 singles in your area."

I haven't seen an advertisement on OH in months, which means either (1) my Firefox adblocker is awesome, or (2) the OH thinks I'm a lost cause when it comes to dating.

Actually, the ads are mostly driven by what you typically search for. For example, I stayed at an aloft hotel a few weeks ago and I've seen a ton of aloft hotel ads on here all of a sudden.

So...if you're looking for Asian and Latin singles...ding ding ding...

Since 2007, have the Orioles ever NOT blown money on relief pitchers that have given us negative value? 2004? It'd be an interesting exercise to look at. Depressing, but interesting.

Since 1995 the O's have had about 25 (give or take 2-3) player-seasons where:

- the player was acquired via free agency

- pitched at least 20 innings

- had a WAR <= 0

Among those players at least Jamie Walker, Danys Baez, Mike DeJean, Steve Reed, Ricky Bones, Terry Mathews, Doug Jones, Mark Hendrickson, Jeremy Accardo, Buddy Groom, Jesse Orosco, Mike Fetters, and Mike Timlin had seasons with zero or negative WAR while making at least $750k, meaning they weren't just minor league free agent fillers, they actually targeted these guys. Some of those pitchers did have other seasons that were more worthwhile, but still...

They also traded the Hangout-rated #1 prospect Denny Bautista for 36-year-old Jason Grimsley, who made about $3M, provided two negative WAR seasons, and implicated or involved half the team in the steriod scandal.

They also traded the Hangout-rated #1 prospect Denny Bautista for 36-year-old Jason Grimsley, who made about $3M, provided two negative WAR seasons, and implicated or involved half the team in the steriod scandal.

I'm not going to spend time defending that move, but recall that Bautista was ranked #1 largely because of what he had done in the minors at a supposedly young age, and then he turned out to be 2-3 years older than advertised. So, his prospect status at the time he was traded was not quite what you imply. He's now 29 years old with a career WAR of -1.3. Still not a great move at the time, but not quite as bad as you wrote it up. And you can't fault the GM's for the steroids part of this.

I'm not going to spend time defending that move, but recall that Bautista was ranked #1 largely because of what he had done in the minors at a supposedly young age, and then he turned out to be 2-3 years older than advertised. So, his prospect status at the time he was traded was not quite what you imply. He's now 29 years old with a career WAR of -1.3. Still not a great move at the time, but not quite as bad as you wrote it up. And you can't fault the GM's for the steroids part of this.

29 is his uncorrected age. He's actually 31.

Actually, the ads are mostly driven by what you typically search for. For example, I stayed at an aloft hotel a few weeks ago and I've seen a ton of aloft hotel ads on here all of a sudden.

Actually, I thought his line ""Meet over 40 singles in your area" was a winner as it pertains to the Orioles' free agent targets.

I would say in this case it is not accurate behavioral targeting. Especially over 40s singles. I mean if you live in SoFla and are targeting over 40 singles...you've just given up. Plus, my wife would frown on it.

Archived