• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marlins vs Mariners not withstanding this is an interesting question. Here's one explanation:

Hispanic: a person of Latin American or Iberian ancestry, fluent in Spanish. It is primarily used along the Eastern seaboard, and favored by those of Caribbean and South American ancestry or origin. English or Spanish can be their ?native? language.

Latino: a U.S.-born Hispanic who is not fluent in Spanish and is engaged in social empowerment through Identity Politics. ?Latino? is principally used west of the Mississippi, where it has displaced ?Chicano? and ?Mexican American.? English is probably their ?native? language. ?Empowerment? refers to increasing the political, social, and spiritual strength of an individual or a community, and it is associated with the development of confidence of that individual or community in their own abilities.

Latin: an abbreviation for ?Latin American,? or ?Latinoamericano? in Spanish (written as one word), a Latin is a person who was born in Latin America and migrated to the United States. Regardless of his or her immigration status, a Latin is a foreign-born worker for whom English is a ?foreign? language and who lacks the cultural fluency taken for granted by those born and raised in the United States. Spanish, Portuguese, or an indigenous language is their ?native? language.

http://www.hispaniceconomics.com/overviewofushispanics/hispaniclatinolatin.html

I thought that Pujols would return home and that Fielder would be an Angel. I think that Fielder could easily be signed by a team like the Yankees considering what contracts are moved off the books in the next two seasons. I think that the Mariners have a need for a guy like Fielder, but if Fielder would sign with the Mariners than he would sign with us IMO. I would love to see the Rays shock the world and land him.

I feel like I've seen that picture a million times, but I'd definitely pay to see him swing a doughnut-adorned Louisville Slugger.

Best Munchkin-to-right-field delivery system ever? I think so.

As long as he doesn't agree with Moises Alou and Jorge Posada's callus prevention methods I'd eat those donuts.

Obviously, Boras considers Camden Yards to be a perfect fit for Fielder, just as it was for Rafael Palmeiro.

This came from Roch's blog.

As of now, if we can offer 7 years, we might be able to get him. The Marlins are out, so is Toronto, and Epstein said that they are out if its over 5 years, because they preferred Pujols. For the Nationals, they are focusing their money on a SP and an OF'er (They would have 300+ tied up between Fielder and Werth) plus they have ton of young guys they need to extend (Zimmerman).

So that really leaves the Orioles and Mariners.

Now, the Rangers might feel inclined to go after Fielder since LAA got Albert, but TEX needs to extend Hamilton, and their young players. In fact, Wilson said that he was disappointed by the low offer from the Rangers, but that he understands because they are going to be trying to lock up their younger guys.

Really, I see the Orioles and the Mariners as the landing spots.

Also I don't see the Mariners just shopping Smoak. They have a terrible offense now, so I could see where Fielder and Smoak alternate between DH and 1B.

I still see the Orioles having a shot though...

This came from Roch's blog.

As of now, if we can offer 7 years, we might be able to get him. The Marlins are out, so is Toronto, and Epstein said that they are out if its over 5 years, because they preferred Pujols. For the Nationals, they are focusing their money on a SP and an OF'er (They would have 300+ tied up between Fielder and Werth) plus they have ton of young guys they need to extend (Zimmerman).

So that really leaves the Orioles and Mariners.

Now, the Rangers might feel inclined to go after Fielder since LAA got Albert, but TEX needs to extend Hamilton, and their young players. In fact, Wilson said that he was disappointed by the low offer from the Rangers, but that he understands because they are going to be trying to lock up their younger guys.

Really, I see the Orioles and the Mariners as the landing spots.

Also I don't see the Mariners just shopping Smoak. They have a terrible offense now, so I could see where Fielder and Smoak alternate between DH and 1B.

I still see the Orioles having a shot though...

So the Marlins were offering $200+ Million on Pujols and they have no interest in Fielder? I'm not buying it!

So the Marlins were offering $200+ Million on Pujols and they have no interest in Fielder? I'm not buying it!

I am not sure I buy it either...However, they liked Pujols because of the latino community they have. They don't feel Fielder would have the same impact with the black community. At least, that's what they are saying.

They are saying Pujols was the target because he helps draw from the Latin American fan base in Miami. I doubt thier interest is zero but I suspect thier intensity level is different.

Archived