Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

Actually, I'm kind of interested in why you think they match up the best. Then I want to you think about how any of those criteria separate the Orioles from the Pirates or the Royals.

The Pirates need a first baseman and a middle of the order hitter badly. The Pirates have sagging attendance at a beautiful park that's reasonably friendly to a home run hitter. The Pirates have a fanbase that's would surely be reawakened by winning for the first time in 15+ years. The Pirates have a low payroll and plenty of room to sign a free agent if only their owner would try to invest in his product a little. The Pirates have a core of young talent that needs to be taken to the next level. They have a pitching staff that really needs run support. The Pirates need an injection of hope to boost ticket sales. I'm 50% sure the Pirates are going to sign Fielder.

You're neglecting the fact that the Pirates' owner hasn't just been issued a reprieve from a GM who was holding his checkbook hostage and not allowing him to spend his money. Angelos feels like a new man now that MacPhail has removed his tight grip from Angelos' wallet. He's about to open up the purse strings and get his groove back.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I'm kind of interested in why you think they match up the best. Then I want to you think about how any of those criteria separate the Orioles from the Pirates or the Royals.

The Pirates need a first baseman and a middle of the order hitter badly. The Pirates have sagging attendance at a beautiful park that's reasonably friendly to a home run hitter. The Pirates have a fanbase that's would surely be reawakened by winning for the first time in 15+ years. The Pirates have a low payroll and plenty of room to sign a free agent if only their owner would try to invest in his product a little. The Pirates have a core of young talent that needs to be taken to the next level. They have a pitching staff that really needs run support. The Pirates need an injection of hope to boost ticket sales. I'm 50% sure the Pirates are going to sign Fielder.

Let's not forget that the Pirates played 4 games over .500 ball for May June and July last year before tanking in August. Remember those stories about how the Pirates weren't the annual doormat that they've always been? The Pirates actually have a chance to be relevant before we do.

I'd say we've got a 50% chance. So no.

But people are severely underestimating the Orioles chances IMO.

MacPhail is no longer at the helm and Duke has signed and traded for premium talent before...

You know, if you make a few more statements like this you may start developing a reputation around here as being a bit of an outlier.

You're neglecting the fact that the Pirates' owner hasn't just been issued a reprieve from a GM who was holding his checkbook hostage and not allowing him to spend his money. Angelos feels like a new man now that MacPhail has removed his tight grip from Angelos' wallet. He's about to open up the purse strings and get his groove back.

I can see that conversation now...

Angelos: "Hey Dan, now that I got rid of MacPhail, I am ready to WIN NOW!"

DD: "That's great Mr. Angelos. I plan to reorganize the..."

Angelos: "yeah, so I was saying. I want you to go out and sign that Tiexiera guy from Mt. St. Joe's."

DD: "Yeah, he's not available sir. He signed with the..."

Angelos: "Oh. Well then, get me Barry Bonds. That guy can really hit the ball."

DD: "Sir, he's retired and was just convicted of..."

Angelos: "Well damn. Okay, I know. Here's a blank check. You get me that Vladamir guy. He's a real slugger for the middle of our lineup."

DD: " You had him last year. He stinks. The only one left is Prince Fielder."

Angelos: "That fat guy? Fat people can't play baseball. Screw this. Gimme my checkbook back and get the Hell out of my office!"

I believe we match up the best. The key is going to be the $.

And that's going to be an Angelos decision...

We match up the best based on what criteria?

1.) Playoff Contender or close to contending

2.) Highest Offer in Dollars/Years

3.) In need of a MOO bat

4.) In need of a first baseman

The Orioles match up great in terms of our need, but we are a terrible match for Fielder if he is interested in playing for a contender and landing the best offer available without ignoring the fact that he might not play for a contender in order to make a few bucks. I think we have a 5% chance or less as Fielder, but that number would increase to 50% if we offered the most money and years by more than 15%.

I'd say we've got a 50% chance. So no.

But people are severely underestimating the Orioles chances IMO.

MacPhail is no longer at the helm and Duke has signed and traded for premium talent before...

I wouldn't say it's 50%, but I would rate their chances significantly higher than the 0%!!!!!! that a lot of people are saying. I would imagine there's 4 or 5 teams he might go to, so I'd say it's about a 20% chance.

A question for those who believe Duquette completely when he says we aren't in on Fielder, do we also believe him when he was asked about Chen Wei-Yin?

I asked Duquette twice about the Orioles' reported interest in Taiwanese left-hander Chen Wei-Yin.

"I don't know too much about him," Duquette replied.

per Roch dec. 13

I can see that conversation now...

Angelos: "Hey Dan, now that I got rid of MacPhail, I am ready to WIN NOW!"

DD: "That's great Mr. Angelos. I plan to reorganize the..."

Angelos: "yeah, so I was saying. I want you to go out and sign that Tiexiera guy from Mt. St. Joe's."

DD: "Yeah, he's not available sir. He signed with the..."

Angelos: "Oh. Well then, get me Barry Bonds. That guy can really hit the ball."

DD: "Sir, he's retired and was just convicted of..."

Angelos: "Well damn. Okay, I know. Here's a blank check. You get me that Vladamir guy. He's a real slugger for the middle of our lineup."

DD: " You had him last year. He stinks. The only one left is Prince Fielder."

Angelos: "That fat guy? Fat people can't play baseball. Screw this. Gimme my checkbook back and get the Hell out of my office!"

I think its more like Peter only wants to spend $7XMM, while the orgization brings in $1XXMM in revenue.

If its true that we only would spend $18MM/year for Fielder... this goes back to the Tiexiera situation where we just low balled him just to be in the headlines with NYY, BOS, or any other team bidding.

The Orioles market size is 3x larger than both the Pirates and Royals. Neither of those teams has ever signed a significant player to a large deal. It has been a while for PA, but he has signed players to significant deals in the past. I see your point, but don't think the idea of Fielder as an O is quite as far fetched as you make it seem.

Archived