EJax to the Nats!

markdublya

Better pitcher's park, in the NL, and he'll slot against other teams' 4th starters. He's got the potential to put up REALLY good numbers this year which sets him up for a nice payday next year.

Big risk considering the injury potential for pitchers. I wonder what he turned down.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't all that enamored by Jackson.. But it is depressing that we can't even lure a mid range FA here. Is there any doubt how this team needs to be built?

There never was any doubt. Free agents go to the Nats, occasionally because they've begun to build a team from within. They have a farm system that works, they traded for Gio Gonzalez because they had prospects to trade.

Once the O's finally figure out how to develop talent they'll be able to trade for good players without impacting the MLB team, and they'll be able to lure talent here.

Until they figure that out, it just ain't happening. We've been saying this for years.

Better pitcher's park, in the NL, and he'll slot against other teams' 4th starters. He's got the potential to put up REALLY good numbers this year which sets him up for a nice payday next year.

Except that slotting against other team's starters is completely random after the first week or two of the season.

There never was any doubt. Free agents go to the Nats, occasionally because they've begun to build a team from within. They have a farm system that works, they traded for Gio Gonzalez because they had prospects to trade.

Once the O's finally figure out how to develop talent they'll be able to trade for good players without impacting the MLB team, and they'll be able to lure talent here.

Until they figure that out, it just ain't happening. The majority of the cognoscenti have been saying this for years.

Good for the Nats - they be playuhs! The woes are not far behind, right?

I guess Lannan and EJax are close enough to be considered a wash...so I guess their rotation just got sexier instead of "sicker".

Whatever... no matter how much you try to downplay the Nats, James, they are worlds better than the Orioles and their season is shaping up to be very exciting. Jackson going there for 1 year instead of here for several is just another sobering reminder of that to the rest of us.

I really didn't mean to target you in particular, you just kind of summed up what I was reading. I'm not saying the Nationals aren't better than the O's going into 2012. And Jax is a very good option for them the same he would have been for us. But I don't see the addition of Jax suddenly making them complete contenders in the NL East, not like Fielder would have.

Jax would have been our "best pitcher" going into 2012 - though I believe that our best pitcher will be either Britton or Matusz by the All Star Break (because they step up: they still have immense talent and I am not giving up on them). Jax on the Nationals is a role player. I don't think that he is the piece that puts them over the top in any real way.

Well, isn't Guthrie our #1? Granted EJax isn't the second coming of Nolan Ryan but he's arguably better than 4/5 of our current rotation.

Right now he is. Based off of last year's results. But I think that Matusz rebounds, Britton improves and Chen will be a very good signing for us.

I could be wrong about all of these things. I could be VERY wrong about all of these things. But I like what I heard at fanfest, I like the fact that they have been working hard in the offseason. I like the fact that Brady was brought on board and an emphasis was put on training and endurance. I like the addition of Peterson this year. I think that it is very likely that Matusz and Britton pitch closer to the elite level that many of us here expected to see this time last year.

I really didn't mean to target you in particular, you just kind of summed up what I was reading. I'm not saying the Nationals aren't better than the O's going into 2012. And Jax is a very good option for them the same he would have been for us. But I don't see the addition of Jax suddenly making them complete contenders in the NL East, not like Fielder would have.

Jax would have been our "best pitcher" going into 2012 - though I believe that our best pitcher will be either Britton or Matusz by the All Star Break (because they step up: they still have immense talent and I am not giving up on them). Jax on the Nationals is a role player. I don't think that he is the piece that puts them over the top in any real way.

I think they were contenders before Jackson and I'd have them as a favorite for a WC spot this year. I'm actually thinking I'm going to put money on it when I go to Vegas in May.

Then again, they probably will finish fourth. Poor team offensively with legacy money owed for the future. Maybe Morse will be good again.

I think that Harper helps the offense and starts in RF. I also think that Rendon could play at this level if they needed him for a playoff push. They seem like a team that just went all in. If they make the playoffs than there is a good chance that it will drum up some serious interest in DC. It pains me to say this, but I am going to start spending some money on the Nationals if the Orioles are not going to pick some sort of direction. How many worse to first teams will we need to see before we can do anything at all. Our owner (We have had good GM's) is just lost.

Until they figure that out, it just ain't happening. We've been saying this for years.

My question was sorta rhetorical and meant more so for the posters who are advocating building this team via free agency. I know you get that!!!! It is amazing how far this organization has fallen.

My question was sorta rhetorical and meant more so for the posters who are advocating building this team via free agency. I know you get that!!!! It is amazing how far this organization has fallen.

Well since the team hasn't signed a major free agent in 8 years I don't know why they aren't better then. Of course everyone wants the team to start developing players. But as the farm system is practically dry and the few prospects we have are far from being ready for the big leagues. You want to put the best team on the field while still developing from within.

I'm disappointed. I wanted this guy on our team - for the next few years.

But I don't take this as a rejection of the Orioles, and all we stand for. It's a business decision.

If he preferred a one-year deal, to cash in next year, then it made a lot more sense to go to the Nationals than the Orioles for that year. You don't pitch against the AL East in a band box, by choice, when you're looking to slingshot yourself into a huge contract.

Still, I would have gone 4 years, $40 million for EJax. I would have made it hard for him to walk away - very hard.

But it's all good. I hear Tillman has been doing push-ups in the offseason and all. :rolleyes:

Archived