O's would "do anything" to trade Reynolds and Gregg

BillySmith

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would argue that Reynolds is an important cog in the Orioles potential success this year....K's, errors, and all. Also, Reynold's is not is a power slump, as someone suggested, but rather is a warm weather hitter. People were screaming last year when Reynolds hit a total of only 2 HR's in April. He upped that with 5 HR's in May, then hit 24 during June, July and Aug, and finished with 6 more in Sept. It's in the hi-80's in LA so maybe his bat will also warm up this weekend. And although his monthly K figures were rather consistent, his OBP also went up as it got warmer. I would argue that dumping on Reynolds so early in the season is premature.

As for Gregg......it's a whole different story. A change of scenery is needed.

As a kid I was always puzzled how Dave Kingman couldn't land a job after back-to-back 30 plus HR seasons with Oakland. As I got older and heard stories about what a jerk he was and read deeper into his stats (lousy defense, high K rate, low OBP, etc.), I started to get it. But still, 35 bombs looked damn good. After a year plus of Mark Reynolds, I understand completely. But they knew what they were getting. It's like buying a snake and getting upset when it bites you.

At the end of the season, Mark Reynolds will be one of this team's 2 or 3 best offensive players.

A strikeout is no worse than any other out. The number of times an out advances a runner is offset completely by double plays.

At the end of the season, Mark Reynolds will be one of this team's 2 or 3 best offensive players.

A strikeout is no worse than any other out. The number of times an out advances a runner is offset completely by double plays.

If baseball was played completely on paper, that offset would jive for me. But actually watching a game? Plus, as I pointed out, every once in awhile a run scores during a double play. A run can score on a K, too, but it's way more rare. I'm no fan of the DP, as it's obviously the 2nd worst scenario for a team on offense, but the K is so inherently unproductive.

If baseball was played completely on paper, that offset would jive for me. But actually watching a game? Plus, as I pointed out, every once in awhile a run scores during a double play. A run can score on a K, too, but it's way more rare. I'm no fan of the DP, as it's obviously the 2nd worst scenario for a team on offense, but the K is so inherently unproductive.

And the DP is inherently a rally killer.

Reynolds has 2,950 plate appearances in his career, and 1,572 have come with the bases empty, where an out is basically an out. Of the other 1,378, you figure a third have come with 2 outs where, again, an out is an out. So that's about 70% of his career where I would say a strike out is the same as any other out.

Of the remaining 30%, you've got Reynolds who K's 1/3 of the time vs. an average player who K's, what, 1 out of 8 times? So in the end, that boils down to maybe 185 career strikeouts where another kind of out MIGHT have a different result. And sometimes that result would be worse.

I mean, sure, if you had your choice you'd want him to strike out less. But it's his defense that's the real problem. That and the extra $10.5 million they'd need to pay to pick up his 2013 option.

Reynolds has 2,950 plate appearances in his career, and 1,572 have come with the bases empty, where an out is basically an out. Of the other 1,378, you figure a third have come with 2 outs where, again, an out is an out. So that's about 70% of his career where I would say a strike out is the same as any other out.

Of the remaining 30%, you've got Reynolds who K's 1/3 of the time vs. an average player who K's, what, 1 out of 8 times? So in the end, that boils down to maybe 185 career strikeouts where another kind of out MIGHT have a different result. And sometimes that result would be worse.

I mean, sure, if you had your choice you'd want him to strike out less. But it's his defense that's the real problem. That and the extra $10.5 million they'd need to pay to pick up his 2013 option.

...and a strike out with a runner on first is actually statistically MORE valuable than a batted ball out because of the DP possibility. Basically, 100 K's over average will lose about 2-3 runs over the course of a season. It's a nonsensical thing to worry about in that sense, but for whatever reason, people do.

...and a strike out with a runner on first is actually statistically MORE valuable than a batted ball out because of the DP possibility. Basically, 100 K's over average will lose about 2-3 runs over the course of a season. It's a nonsensical thing to worry about in that sense, but for whatever reason, people do.

Right, Reynolds has 531 career PA with only a runner on 1B. Assume 1/3 of those are with 2 outs and that gives you 350 PA's where a strikeout is as good as or better than another out. I think that reduces the 185 problem strikeouts to 115, or about once every six or seven games.

So in his career, once every six games Reynolds has possibly - possibly - failed to advance a runner by a base. And you have to weigh that against the 10-15 DP's per year that he doesn't hit into. Oh, the horror.

Archived