vs. BLUE JAYS 4/25

OFFNY

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The Machado trade wasn't the mark of poor judgment.  We got a decent return for when we traded him (2018, with less than a year of control left).  The underlying issue was failure to recognize the timing of that team's window shutting.  2017 started off well enough, but May was punctuated by a 5-14 stretch in the last 19 games of the month (including a 7 game losing streak) and a losing June (that had a 6 game losing streak).  They then limped into the AS Break on a 3-6 July start (including another 5 game losing streak).  Went from a season best 22-10 on May 10, to 42-46 at the break. The pitching clearly couldn't keep up, and denial is a powerful thing.  We didn't do any selling or start a minor rebuild.  Whether that was a Duquette decision or an Angelos decision... who can say? I always look back at that period as having a silver lining though.  We had to crash and burn... to be built back to strength with our modern iteration of our team.  I'm not so sure that the team would have decided to take the same path if they had found additional ways of treading water for several seasons longer than they actually did... so I'm loathe to criticize the failures in the last seasons of the Duquette era.  Without them, we very well might not be where we are today. 
    • Even our bad lineups have a brutal top half of the order for opposing pitchers. 
    • Mullins had a good AB left on left last night that hopefully is a good sign of a turnaround. 10 pitches and fought off several fastballs that he has been swinging through. Ultimately just a groundout but I thought it was encouraging.    Liked the bunt single too. 
    • Well...the "A" team hasn't been scoring runs when he pitches anyway.  Might as well shake it up a bit.
    • And it's real, so real, so real, so real, so real, so real Can you dig it Whooo-oooh I can dig it, he can dig it She can dig it, we can dig it They can dig it, you can dig it Oh, let's dig it Can you dig it, baby I can dig it, he can dig it She can dig it, we can dig it They can dig it, you can dig it Oh, let's dig it Can you dig it, baby    
    • I was thinking he'll get until the AS break to show some signs of life, but it could happen by Father's Day. I'm not implying that they'll release him but that his role could decrease significantly.
  • Popular Contributors