Chris Davis

theobird

Here's a weird thing. A really good Davis season would look a lot like Cito (Sucks) Gaston's only good MLB season in 1970.

You know the sad thing? That one season got Cito included in "All-Star Baseball"...you know, the one with the spinner...

I remember seeing that disk and thinking "who is this guy"? And you are absolutely correct...Cito STILL sucks!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know the sad thing? That one season got Cito included in "All-Star Baseball"...you know, the one with the spinner...

I remember seeing that disk and thinking "who is this guy"? And you are absolutely correct...Cito STILL sucks!

"Sucks" was too naughty of a word to use on my 8th birthday cake, so my mom had Mars make a Cito cake, with his encircled name crossed out. It was delicious!

Oh we got a winner with Chris Davis, I am comfortable with that. Just a gorgeous stroke, the single to win it tonight off a lefty was a thing of beauty. Now it looks like Reynolds is breaking out of his funk, I have a great feeling about this team. If the pitching holds up, we got a winner here. No apologies, I said it right here. I called in on XM radio and buzzed Bowdens tower with my prediction that the O's would indeed contend. That idiot still thinks this team finishes in last place. I just don't see it.

Oh we got a winner with Chris Davis, I am comfortable with that. Just a gorgeous stroke, the single to win it tonight off a lefty was a thing of beauty. Now it looks like Reynolds is breaking out of his funk, I have a great feeling about this team. If the pitching holds up, we got a winner here. No apologies, I said it right here. I called in on XM radio and buzzed Bowdens tower with my prediction that the O's would indeed contend. That idiot still thinks this team finishes in last place. I just don't see it.

I'm not getting ahead of myself.. one game at a time my friend, lets think about contending in late july. As for now, lets just enjoy the wins and keep em coming. I like the optimism though

I'm not getting ahead of myself.. one game at a time my friend, lets think about contending in late july. As for now, lets just enjoy the wins and keep em coming. I like the optimism though

Hey I don't blame you for being a little cautious. But IMO, the wheels fell off of the pitching wagon last year, and this team severely underperformed until the end of the season. The addition of Hammel and Chen has stabilized the staff, and a healthy Jake is a TOR starter. When I look at this lineup position by position, I see a very competitive team. A very good outfield, solid up the middle defense, a young high upside first baseman, a proven bomber at third and the games very best Catcher. It all comes down to the pitching, and I am very impressed with what I have seen of them so far.

Well, the picks could have used some work early in the game today, but he wasn't really helped out by the throws. He's fine over there at 1B, though.

Yep. Buck's said he considers him an above average defender over there. He's at least average. The hitting has been spectacular so far, and its not like he just got hot for a couple weeks, either. Guy's been pretty steady in terms of BA. Seems like he's really happy to be here and be playing.

• 2 months later...

While there have been several Chris Davis threads in the past, I thought it would be interesting to bump this. I think I have seen enough of Chris Davis at this point to think I don't really want to see Chris Davis around next year. He had me going for awhile, but he appears to have regressed to what he is offensively (a mid to high 700 OPS guy) and not much more. He still shows flashes at the plate with some nice AB's, but I'm just not seeing it with this guy. While I appreciate his effort (and better than expected play in the OF), he's just not going to cut it defensively anywhere that I can see. I'd like to see him packaged in a deal by the deadline.

While there have been several Chris Davis threads in the past, I thought it would be interesting to bump this. I think I have seen enough of Chris Davis at this point to think I don't really want to see Chris Davis around next year. He had me going for awhile, but he appears to have regressed to what he is offensively (a mid to high 700 OPS guy) and not much more. He still shows flashes at the plate with some nice AB's, but I'm just not seeing it with this guy. While I appreciate his effort (and better than expected play in the OF), he's just not going to cut it defensively anywhere that I can see. I'd like to see him packaged in a deal by the deadline.

Of all the 1B/DH types that we have (Reynolds, Pearce, Johnson, Thome and Davis), Davis may have the most value at this point. If a Davis/Arrieta or Davis/Matusz package could net us something that will provide a spark, let's roll.

Say what you will about Chris Davis, but among the Orioles starting position players he is currently:

1st in SLG% (.460)

2nd in doubles (15)

2nd in HR's (14)

2nd in RBI's (41)

2nd in avg (.266)

4th in OPS (.769)

Davis won't be all that easy to replace, and his minor league stats indicate he is more likely to get better than worse in the future.

Say what you will about Chris Davis, but among the Orioles starting position players he is currently:

1st in SLG% (.460)

2nd in doubles (15)

2nd in HR's (14)

2nd in RBI's (41)

2nd in avg (.266)

4th in OPS (.769)

Davis won't be all that easy to replace, and his minor league stats indicate he is more likely to get better than worse in the future.

Other than OPS (including SLG), there is nothing there that means much to me. His current OPS+ is 106 and his current wRC+ is 101. If he were a good defender or an average defender at a premium position it would make a difference. He is not. Davis has had 1,380 ML PA's thus far including fairly steady playing time this year. I don't have the same feeling that you do that he will get much better than what he is right now. Because we have poor performers this year is not a reason to keep around another one next year. We should be striving for better.

Other than OPS (including SLG), there is not there that means much to me. His current OPS+ is 106 and his current wRC+ is 101. If he were a good defender or an average defender at a premium postion it would make a difference. He is not. Davis has had 1,380 ML PA's thus far including fairly steady playing time this year. I don't have the same feeling that you do that he will get any better than what he is rght now. Because we have poor performers this year is not a reason to keep around another one next year. We should be striving for better.

What bothers me is he started to really slump when he was placed in the OF. I think playing him out of position had an adverse effect on his offense.

What bothers me is he started to really slump when he was placed in the OF. I think playing him out of position had an adverse effect on his offense.

I won't completely discount it, but I have hard time believing there is a correlation.

Archived