Chris Davis

theobird

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of all the 1B/DH types that we have (Reynolds, Pearce, Johnson, Thome and Davis), Davis may have the most value at this point. If a Davis/Arrieta or Davis/Matusz package could net us something that will provide a spark, let's roll.

Yeah, I agree. I guess we could get rid of Reynolds (I've grown pretty tired of him at this point) and put Davis back at first, but as you said, Davis would likely have some actual trade value at this point. I'd prefer not to see either one of them back next year.

Chris Davis looks really bad, to me, at the plate. I've always liked the guy (had him on my fantasy team his rookie year in Texas and have always liked him since), and had some high hopes for him coming into this year but I'm starting to see why Texas gave up on him and so many doubted he could be a real solution. I really don't see his switch to LF as a plausible reason for his bad #s of late, if anything consistent ABs in one position should've been a boon for him offensively.

At this point I'm not very comfortable with him being an important part of our long-term plans. I've been impressed with his versatility and his sneaky athleticism so I think he'd be a useful bench player next year, but I'm doubtful he can hit enough to be a starting 1B, DH, or even LF.

I disagree. Look at his splits and they are pretty good when he's at 1B and DH. Just as a 1B he was hitting .319/.343/.511 in 135 ABs. His OPS+ as 1b and DH is 120 and 146 respectively. As a former player I gotta tell ya, don't discount the fact that being moved all over the field does have an effect. He does it and says nothing about it. In fact, IIRC he said he'd do whatever the team needed him to do. I don't remember Reynolds saying the same last year when asked if he would DH. Now, because Reynolds can't play 3B Davis has been moved off his natural position. Sure, Davis could have played better there, but I'm tired of hearing about how much better Reynolds is there. He isn't and he wasn't brought here to be an OB guy.

I disagree. Look at his splits and they are pretty good when he's at 1B and DH. Just as a 1B he was hitting .319/.343/.511 in 135 ABs. His OPS+ as 1b and DH is 120 and 146 respectively. As a former player I gotta tell ya, don't discount the fact that being moved all over the field does have an effect. He does it and says nothing about it. In fact, IIRC he said he'd do whatever the team needed him to do. I don't remember Reynolds saying the same last year when asked if he would DH. Now, because Reynolds can't play 3B Davis has been moved off his natural position. Sure, Davis could have played better there, but I'm tired of hearing about how much better Reynolds is there. He isn't and he wasn't brought here to be an OB guy.

Reynolds actually did say the same thing last year.

i certainly respect your position as a former player but even a .319/.343 line is indicitave of the overall problem with Chris Davis.

I have a pretty good feeling about Chris Davis. I am really excited about this guy and very happy to have what I consider a true 1st baseman on this team. He has been getting a lot of slack on here, but I disagree with those who don't think Davis is the answer for us at 1st base. My eyes tell me he is above average with the glove and his ceiling at the plate is sky high. I really can't believe the talent that AM fleeced the Rangers out of, but that goes to show you just how deep the Ranger system is.

He can't field a groud ball. Don't you have to be able to do that as a major league 1st baseman. He can't catch any throws that bounce. He is no 1st baseman. I don't even know how he got this far as a fielder.

He is a DH that you can use in the outfield, on occasion to give a starter a blow, on any good major league baseball team, which we are not, at the present time.

I guess I just dont see where a team as anemic as ours has the ability to throw away 26 year old players with high potential after less than 1300 career AB's. People on this board want too much.

He's a strike out machine vs. LHP, vs. RHP he is decent. I wouldn't care if he was not on this team anymore

He's a strike out machine vs. LHP, vs. RHP he is decent. I wouldn't care if he was not on this team anymore

He has a .798 OPS vs. LH pitching.

I would let him ride out the year and see what his line is at the end of the year. We still have over 33% of the year left.

Certainly less deserving of banishment than others on the Oriole island.

Davis is probably the 4th most valuable player in the lineup right now behind Markakis, Jones, and Wieters.

Hardy may be more valuable beyond this year, but there are LOTS of other pieces to this lineup/defense that have to be fixed before we worry about Chris Davis.

Honestly, I would put him back at first and leave him there for the rest of the season. He CAN'T be any worse than Reynolds has been. He is streaky but he is also have a decent season. If he can right the ship defensively at 1B the that is one less whole we need to fill in the offseason.

Honestly, I would put him back at first and leave him there for the rest of the season. He CAN'T be any worse than Reynolds has been. He is streaky but he is also have a decent season. If he can right the ship defensively at 1B the that is one less whole we need to fill in the offseason.

Agreed. He should have never come off of first IMO. They pulled the trigger too quickly on removing Davis at first. I know he made some bad errors there, but it's not like Reynolds has been Gold Glove material there either.

Reynolds should be gone next year, if not sooner, so might as well play the guy with the potential at his natural position.

Agreed. He should have never come off of first IMO. They pulled the trigger too quickly on removing Davis at first. I know he made some bad errors there, but it's not like Reynolds has been Gold Glove material there either.

Reynolds should be gone next year, if not sooner, so might as well play the guy with the potential at his natural position.

Reynolds and Davis have played almost an identical amount at 1B this year. Reynolds has 38 games, 35 starts, 322 innings; Davis has 37 games, 35 starts, 335 innings. Each has 4 errors. Davis has twice as many assists, 26 to 13; he has 21 scoops to Reynolds' 8; he has started 5 double plays to Reynolds' 3. Reynolds has a UZR/150 of -4.5, Davis has a UZR/150 of -1.7. I guess you could say neither is stellar but Davis has been a little better. Honestly, I don't care much which one plays 1B.

Reynolds and Davis have played almost an identical amount at 1B this year. Reynolds has 38 games, 35 starts, 322 innings; Davis has 37 games, 35 starts, 335 innings. Each has 4 errors. Davis has twice as many assists, 26 to 13; he has 21 scoops to Reynolds' 8; he has started 5 double plays to Reynolds' 3. Reynolds has a UZR/150 of -4.5, Davis has a UZR/150 of -1.7. I guess you could say neither is stellar but Davis has been a little better. Honestly, I don't care much which one plays 1B.

I think the overall point is Reynolds most likely won't be back in the offseason whereas Davis probably will, barring a trade. The O's may as well put him back at 1st and see if he can get into a groove defensively there so at the very least he is serviceable. Reynolds playing 1st for the rest of the season just seems like a waste to me. Now if DD can get a LF out of Span or Dejesus then Davis will HAVE to be at 1B. I just don't see how you can justify keeping him on the bench and Reynolds at 1B.

Archived