Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are comfortable giving a player--with a barely above-average career OPS+, whom hasn't topped an .800 OPS or .335 OBP or 25 homers or 36 walks in a season except for his 2012 paces through two months, and is an inconsistent defender--$120 million dollars until he is 35?

I would be willing to offer him 7/84.

IMHO you can't think like this. Jones has every right to demand a huge contract from us because if he waits for free agency, he'll be sure to get one. No-one in Washington is crying because Werth is overpayed. They figure with their good young players, they can afford to overpay Werth and he'll be a solid, contributing player for them. I think we overpay Jones now. If he doesn't continue on his current path and he reverts to a good, not great, player, so be it. If he becomes a superstar, he should and will get paid like one. With Bundy and Machado slated to make next to nothing for 5 years, it isn't a terrible outcome to overpay Jones and Wieters...

I tend to agree - and I think Jones is continuing to improve. He hasn't necessarily peaked. And considering he pays a premium defensive position - and very well - it makes sense, to me, to pay the man. That said, I would sign up Wieters first - I think Wieters is the heart of this team.

The problem with Jones is that he's not really a five tool player. His defense in center is average at best, and that would be charitable. He can hit and hit for power, but he's not an accomplished base stealer, and more importantly, he doesn't draw walks. That is a major problem and a severe limit on his future offensive value. I would not give him more than 6 years. I don't think I'd give him more than $80 million, as an upper, upper limit. He is not worth a 9 figure deal, and locking him up into his mid-30s would be a mistake.

6 years and $75 million is AJ's value. If DD has a deal lined up he is going to need to have him signed to a multi-year contract. If another team has plenty of cash maybe we go higher to $80 - $85 million. I like AJ and get mad at him when he chases bad pitches but would wait until after the draft on June 4th to deal him if we get a strong offer. If we draft Buxton it would make dealing him easier. If we don't get Buxton we could probably get Bourjos and Morales back in a deal from the Angels who would be a prime candidate for a trade partner. The Mets are another possibility with David Wright in the deal. It would be multiple players with Reynolds also included. DD is not slow to make moves and I don't think he will wait to get another starter. Garza could be in a deal as well with the Cubs.

The problem with Jones is that he's not really a five tool player. His defense in center is average at best, and that would be charitable. He can hit and hit for power, but he's not an accomplished base stealer, and more importantly, he doesn't draw walks. That is a major problem and a severe limit on his future offensive value. I would not give him more than 6 years. I don't think I'd give him more than $80 million, as an upper, upper limit. He is not worth a 9 figure deal, and locking him up into his mid-30s would be a mistake.
6 years and $75 million is AJ's value. If DD has a deal lined up he is going to need to have him signed to a multi-year contract. If another team has plenty of cash maybe we go higher to $80 - $85 million. I like AJ and get mad at him when he chases bad pitches but would wait until after the draft on June 4th to deal him if we get a strong offer. If we draft Buxton it would make dealing him easier. If we don't get Buxton we could probably get Bourjos and Morales back in a deal from the Angels who would be a prime candidate for a trade partner. The Mets are another possibility with David Wright in the deal. It would be multiple players with Reynolds also included. DD is not slow to make moves and I don't think he will wait to get another starter. Garza could be in a deal as well with the Cubs.

Sports guy returns. No thank you, I prefer Jones.

Sports guy returns. No thank you, I prefer Jones.

1/4 of a season worth of superstar does not a 120MM/7YR Contract make. That's not how you properly valuate risk on a volatile asset (any baseball player).

The Orioles should shoot for 7/80. Jones would be within his rights to ask for 7/112. They'll probably settle around 7/90-95

1/4 of a season worth of superstar does not a 120MM/7YR Contract make. That's not how you properly valuate risk on a volatile asset (any baseball player).

The Orioles should shoot for 7/80. Jones would be within his rights to ask for 7/112. They'll probably settle around 7/90-95

Jones started this well in 2009 and look where he ended up. You can't assume he's even an .800 OPS player at this point. I like what I'm seeing but need to see a lot more before paying Jones like he is a perennial star.

Jones started this well in 2009 and look where he ended up. You can't assume he's even an .800 OPS player at this point. I like what I'm seeing but need to see a lot more before paying Jones like he is a perennial star.

BABIP is the key here. Jones' BABIP was around .400 in 2009 through May. It's .319 right now, right at his career average.

The only statistical anomaly about Jones this year is his HR/FB rate, and nobody is expecting him to hit HRs at the pace he's on.

He's having a career year this year to be sure, but he is also still a young up and coming player. He's 26 years old, he's not even in his prime yet, that will happen between next year and 2 to 3 years from now (what most baseball experts agree upon are a players prime years).

He's improved over the last couple years as he has matured and I am sure if he doesn't sign an extension before the year is over, he will command quite a bit of money in an open market as a young player entering his prime with a very enticing blend of speed and power.

If this organization is serious about winning and improving, you extend him for a good 6 or 7 years and if you HAVE too, you overpay him because what are the other options? Trading him for more prospects and setting us back in our time frame of placing a contender on the field YET AGAIN?

Screw that....pay him....and if you really have too, overpay him. Not extortion prices, but you can't be cheap either. He's our best player, be that pitcher or hitter and certainly our most valuable because of his defense, hitting and speed. Time to pay for a winner Angelos!

Probably something like:

13: 10M

14: 13M

15: 13M

16: 15M

17: 16M

18: 17M

I think it takes at least 6/84. May have to go that 7th year, or more per year. Maybe 6/90. Probably going to be overpaid.

I think it takes more than that, because his starting baseline will be higher. If he goes to arb this year, he'll be getting about 80% of market value. Market value for a 26-year-old CFer worth 4-5 WAR (maybe more) has to be more than $15M. I think you start out at least $12M, maybe $13-14. Escalate from there.

Which makes me skeptical that he'll sign a reasonable, risk-mitigated contract now. If he just waits he could get that deal in the offseason even if he slumps. If he ends up with a .900 OPS 5-WAR season he's looking at a jackpot.

15 or 16 million a year plus incentives for five or six years and a one year option. I think Jones wants to sign and the O's want him. Times have changed over the last couple of months. Will we see a signing by Sunday or after the road trip or never? I think Buck likes him and would send a message to the fans. We shall see if this will get done soon.

Archived