vs. D-RAYS 6/02

OFFNY

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, wonder if anyone wants to reconsider their skewering of Matusz throughout the off-season?

Sure, and those of us singing the praises of Hammel and Chen (including myself) are going to have to reconsider their placing of said pitchers on a pedestal. I think they both show their true colors as 5th-man or spot starters / long relievers at best by the end of the season.

Pitchers get better and get worse all the time. Even professional scouts (which I am not) are wrong about their judgments of players all the time. Not only wrong, but disastrously wrong. How many times have we brought on some guy we thought would be a superstar, or at LEAST a serviceable contributor, and they turn out to be a complete dud?

Consistency is something that a vanishingly few number of players are able to grasp these days, it seems. Consistency the real prize, but the most difficult attribute to judge ahead of time.

Sure, and those of us singing the praises of Hammel and Chen (including myself) are going to have to reconsider their placing of said pitchers on a pedestal. I think they both show their true colors as 5th-man or spot starters / long relievers at best by the end of the season.

Can't see any reason to think that. Sorry.

Pitchers get better and get worse all the time. Even professional scouts (which I am not) are wrong about their judgments of players all the time. Not only wrong, but disastrously wrong. How many times have we brought on some guy we thought would be a superstar, or at LEAST a serviceable contributor, and they turn out to be a complete dud?

That's way too extreme. You really think Hammel and Chen are only good enough to be spot starters? They would be a great 34 punch on almost every single team in the major leagues.

Archived