vs. D-RAYS 6/02

OFFNY

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wait?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1r05R7_g_rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You have a vast arsenal of great videos, thank you sir... Now let's get some runs!

That's way too extreme. You really think Hammel and Chen are only good enough to be spot starters? They would be a great 34 punch on almost every single team in the major leagues.

Just playing devil's advocate. I think Jim was more or less basing his original argument on the fact that Matusz has had 2 or 3 decent starts in a row. I am basing my argument on the fact that Hammel and Chen have faltered lately. Especially Chen.

But as I just said, these little streaks of success or failure are meaningless in the long run. What we need is a pitcher that can come out there and keep the team in the ball game every single time -- with the exceptions coming few and far between. And I don't just mean for one season, either: I mean throughout a multi-year contract. These are the kind of pitchers that end up in the O's HOF or even the national HOF. These are the kind of pitchers that we need. A constant success story rolling from year to year. When you fill your rotation with more than one of this caliber of player, you go to the World Series. When you don't, you don't.

I don't see any reason to think that anyone on our current staff, or even anyone in our position player lineup, is that picture of consistency, except perhaps Adam Jones. And Wieters' abilities as catcher. I just don't think Matusz was going to continue to be as bad as he was, and Hammel/Chen aren't going to continue to be as good as they are. They're all meeting somewhere in the middle.

Just my gut feeling. Do we have consistency in our pitchers? No. Well -- there's Jim Johnson of course -- but you have to start the game successfully before Jim gets a chance to close the door.

Archived