As of draft day - Matusz or Gausman?

At no. 4, who would you have chosen, Matusz or Gausman?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At no. 4, who would you have chosen, Matusz or Gausman?

Both went #4 overall to the Orioles. Both were the first pitcher chosen in the draft. Putting aside what Matusz has done as a pro, if they both had been available in the same draft, who would you have chosen first?

I'd like to point out just how right I was back then:

It may be position-heavy but that doesn't mean there's not a strong disparity between the top-5 or 6 talents and the rest of the draft.

I'll go on record as saying I'm anti-Matusz.

Matursz - with the risk inherent in being a pitcher - would need to be clearly, significantly better than Smoak to warrant us picking him. I've seen nothing - nothing - that tells me his.

You've got to discount the talent/upside by risk.

Brilliant!

I'd say Gausman. Matusz never had the upside of Gausman. We'll see about Gausman's secondaries; this will probably tell us more about our development skills than the Matusz pick did.

Either way, I take Gausman. He's not that much less proven than Matusz and there is a significant difference in upside.

Check out this comparison on Camden Depot of talents between the 2008-2012 drafts, which shines rather favorably on Kevin Gausman: http://camdendepot.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/comparison-of-draft-talent-2008-2012.html

Very disappointed in you.

I had some pretty stupid ideas about pitchers v. hitters back then. Though I'd probably draft Smoak over Matusz again today (blinded to actual performance). That said, once the draft was done, I was on board - the call was a close/indistinguishable one. Trea was loony about it, in perpetuity.

I had some pretty stupid ideas about pitchers v. hitters back then. Though I'd probably draft Smoak over Matusz again today (blinded to actual performance). That said, once the draft was done, I was on board - the call was a close/indistinguishable one. Trea was loony about it, in perpetuity.

I was just joking that you didn't know Smoak had won player of the week. It was such a nice setup you gave me I figured you knew.

I think they have both struggled more then expected and that they both seem on the right track.

Myself I view first baseman as a lower priority then C/SS/CF even 3B anymore.

Archived