15th Round - Derick Velazquez: RHP, Merced Col, (CA)

Anything above 100K counts against that.

Hopefully they can get Gausman and Kline for below slot and use that money on Velazquez.

I think Marin is going to require going overslot too. This will really depend on what KG signs for. If he's around 3.6-3.8 we have a good shot.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about his signability-but I do know that the first $99,999 for picks after the top 10 rounds does not count toward the cap. So the Orioles could sign him for, say, $250,000 and only $150,001 will count toward the cap.

I don't think that's how it works. I think if it's over 100K, it all counts towards the cap.

I don't think that's how it works. I think if it's over 100K, it all counts towards the cap.

It does work how I detailed it, except the first $100,000 does not count against the cap-not just the first $99,999(I know big deal-it is only $1-but I am trying to be accurate). Here is a quote from BA:

And in a perverse incentive, because the first $100,000 for a player taken after the 10th round does not count against a team's budget, a team can stretch its bonus pool by taking better talent in later round. Say a team wants two players, one who will sign for $1,000 and the other who will sign for $250,000. If it takes the $250,000 player in the sixth round and the $1,000 player in the 11th, $250,000 counts against the budget. But reverse those two picks and only $150,000 counts against the pool. That explains why nine players in the BA 500 were picked in the 10th round, while 18 players in the BA 500 were taken in the 11th round.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/new-draft-rules-create-confusion-run-on-college-seniors/

The Orioles are more likely to be able to sign Velasquez because he was not picked in the top 10 rounds.

Post 10th round picks and bonus pool/cap issues are confusing.

Here's Baseball America's take:

And in a perverse incentive, because the first $100,000 for a player taken after the 10th round does not count against a team's budget, a team can stretch its bonus pool by taking better talent in later round. Say a team wants two players, one who will sign for $1,000 and the other who will sign for $250,000. If it takes the $250,000 player in the sixth round and the $1,000 player in the 11th, $250,000 counts against the budget. But reverse those two picks and only $150,000 counts against the pool. That explains why nine players in the BA 500 were picked in the 10th round, while 18 players in the BA 500 were taken in the 11th round.

The whole article is worth reading.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/new-draft-rules-create-confusion-run-on-college-seniors/

Edit: It looks like jcarm has read the same article.

He looks rail thin in the HS clip from 2010 but he doesn't look rail thin from the still photograph from this year. Looks like he filled out quite a bit. Gotta think teams considered him a tough sign for him to last that long but maybe the O's know something.

Someone reported he was asking 500-750K. Not confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this new article on Velazquez. He is looking for 500K to sign. I'm really hoping we can get this done. I would love to see him sign soon. I did not realize he was Baseball America's 74th overall prospect. Let's hope the O's pull this out like they did with Delmonico last year!

http://www.cbs47.tv/content/sports/sunday_sidelines/story/Fresno-Fiat-Sidelines-Spotlight-Derick-Velazquez/MLkzjIGGE0OuKUH11ZAQ4Q.cspx

Per Baseball America the Orioles, as of right now, have $554,718 to spend of Velazquez(or any other one player drafted after the top 10 rounds) without incurring a draft pick penalty. This is assuming that all other signings are for slot.

Per Baseball America the Orioles, as of right now, have $554,718 to spend of Velazquez(or any other one player drafted after the top 10 rounds) without incurring a draft pick penalty. This is assuming that all other signings are for slot.

They would also face a small financial penalty for going 5% over the cap.

It will be interesting to see if they can get 5th rounder Poche under contract. He may require going over slot as well so money may get tight trying to get these deals done.

BA has the Os with $120k in "savings" based on signings below slot in the first 10 rounds so far.

I guess it depends on what Rutledge signed for. Although he signed, I haven't seen an amount.

According to BA-Rutledge signed for slot. The $554,718 amount that I referenced above includes the buffer amount (up to 5% over slot) that the Orioles can spend without incurring a draft pick penalty(they would have to pay a 75% monetary penalty on any amount spent over the entire slot budget up to the 5%).

Archived