Tillman

whynot38

Come on, Tilly! Stop the bleeding. Prove you belong!

Is this enough of a gauze pad for you Puck ??? :scratchchinhmm:

CHRIS TILLMAN O(vs. DEVIL RAYS 7/26)

IP:O 6-Plus

H:o. 5

R:O. 2

BB:. 4

SO:. 5

Pitches: 100 (61 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2012 ERA: 1.66

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely could have been.

Yeah, but I think his final line is pretty reflective of his overall performance.

Didn't have his best stuff and definitely didn't have very good FB command, but then again was pitching in the tough mid-day heat with an ump who was imposing an extremely small strike zone.

Biggest development in this game was him incorporating his slider more than we've seen. It looks like an average offering but it's never bad to have multiple weapons, and his mixing of his off-speed pitches allowed him to get away with some badly placed FBs and get away with lower velocity at times (even though he was more 93-95 touching 96 in the later innings, he was mostly 91-93 through the first 4).

Yeah, but I think his final line is pretty reflective of his overall performance.

Didn't have his best stuff and definitely didn't have very good FB command, but then again was pitching in the tough mid-day heat with an ump who was imposing an extremely small strike zone.

Biggest development in this game was him incorporating his slider more than we've seen. It looks like an average offering but it's never bad to have multiple weapons, and his mixing of his off-speed pitches allowed him to get away with some badly placed FBs and get away with lower velocity at times (even though he was more 93-95 touching 96 in the later innings, he was mostly 91-93 through the first 4).

I though of that, also. He got in trouble early, and was pretty fortunate to come out of it completely unscathed. The double play that Reynolds started on that hot shot could have easily been a double up the line, but Mark snared it, threw high to J.J. who made a good catch above his head, and then Reynolds made a nice scoop on J.J.'s real back to first.

Still, it's frustrating to see Davis just let a ball drop like that. You gotta take advantage of your good luck, because you'll certainly get screwed by bad luck sometimes, and you don't want to simply throw away your good fortunes.

I know this is a Tillman thread and I'm taking absolutely nothing away from him tonight. He was very good and I've been one of his biggest supporters since he came back up.

THAT SAID, the bolded is in large part due to that dude that can't the broad side of a barn right now. I just like pointing out the massive value Wieters has that many forget exists.

I'll stop being a Matt Wieters apologist now so we can get on with the CHRIS TILLMAN man love.

I know this is a Tillman thread and I'm taking absolutely nothing away from him tonight. He was very good and I've been one of his biggest supporters since he came back up.

THAT SAID, the bolded is in large part due to that dude that can't the broad side of a barn right now. I just like pointing out the massive value Wieters has that many forget exists. I'll stop being a Matt Wieters apologist now so we can get on with the CHRIS TILLMAN man love.

Not to get off track, but I'm curious. What "massive value" does Wieters provide that "many don't know exist"? Hasn't it been concluded he doesn't call the pitches anymore. Even if he still did, the development/performance of your young starters has been pretty horrific under his tenure. What am I missing?

One of the genuinely most important parts of a pitchers development if to fight through on days when you don't have your best stuff. Stuff includes command which he had when he needed it, but he struggled to find it for the whole time he was in there.

The FB command was spotty, but in the 4th and 5th innings he got ahead with out throwing first pitch strikes. The CU was again a good pitch, keeping hitters from locking in on the FB which was too often over the middle of the plate. The CB was again lacking in depth and command and he looked to not be getting on top of it. It's a dominant out pitch for him when

he does. It looked as if he threw a slider, with a small break and decent command.

All in all not his best, but I was impressed with the effort. After the error by Betemit in the 5th he got a strike out to end the inning and was talking to himself as he walked off the field. Pumping himself up I think. That was before we scored. Big moment for him I think.

One of the genuinely most important parts of a pitchers development if to fight through on days when you don't have your best stuff. Stuff includes command which he had when he needed it, but he struggled to find it for the whole time he was in there.

The FB command was spotty, but in the 4th and 5th innings he got ahead with out throwing first pitch strikes. The CU was again a good pitch, keeping hitters from locking in on the FB which was too often over the middle of the plate. The CB was again lacking in depth and command and he looked to not be getting on top of it. It's a dominant out pitch for him when

he does. It looked as if he threw a slider, with a small break and decent command.

All in all not his best, but I was impressed with the effort. After the error by Betemit in the 5th he got a strike out to end the inning and was talking to himself as he walked off the field. Pumping himself up I think. That was before we scored. Big moment for him I think.

The thing is, his command has always been spotty to poor.

Managed to catch a couple innings at a bar during lunch. He looked fairly good, I saw a couple nice curveballs thrown for strikes.

5 strikeouts, 4 walks...meh.

But he gets a win against a divisional opponent and hopefully some more confidence.

Think he was pissed at himself for throwing a hanging curve on 2 strikes to Molina after throwing probably his two best FBs of the day, 95 and 96 on the black at the knees. :D

Nice post, agree with the analysis.

The thing is, his command has always been spotty to poor.

Managed to catch a couple innings at a bar during lunch. He looked fairly good, I saw a couple nice curveballs thrown for strikes.

5 strikeouts, 4 walks...meh.

But he gets a win against a divisional opponent and hopefully some more confidence.

No, his command has not always been spotty. He has shown marked improvement since Peterson simplified his mechanics. Today it was spotty, not poor. If it was he probably gets different results.

As I said, though, it was encouraging he worked through not having his best stuff. And as you said, it does boost his confidence to beat the division opponent.

Explain that. He's getting analytic input from the dugout in real time?

The Orioles purchased the Bloomberg package and information is relayed to Wieters through a legal method. No electronics are permitted in the dugout proper.

Archived