Help convince me we shouldn't be trading Jim Johnson

Barnaby Graves

I expect JJ will never have another year like this one, and may regress some in the 2nd half. That said, it's not like this guy was chicken feed last year. The guy is very good and at the peak of his powers. I'd only trade him in a major deal where we were getting a huge need filled by a very good player.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree -most teams could use a high quality reliever. But are they going to pay for a guy w/ a 1ish ERA, who leads the league in saves to do so? My point isn't that there's not a need there - but there's not a pressing need, and there's definitely not a need right now for a "closer." Letting Johnson go for sub-closer premium seems unnecessary.

Yeah, Johnson would be overkill as a 7th inning guy, but I get the feeling that they are looking for a "closer" type for that position.

Yeah, Johnson would be overkill as a 7th inning guy, but I get the feeling that they are looking for a "closer" type for that position.

Ideally. Sure. My guess was a David Hernandez-type, though. I.e., closer-profile but not closer-role/results.

I always love the premise, and it's a consistent one on message boards, that so-and so is outperforming his periphs and is overvalued due to a certain stat, in this case saves, and it's obvious for all the world to see, EXCEPT for the GMs of other organizations. Nobody's getting dust thrown in their eyes about what JJ is. If you want to move him in exchange for what he's worth, then that is your perogative, but let's not pretend that somebody is going to drastically overpay for him.

I always love the premise, and it's a consistent one on message boards, that so-and so is outperforming his periphs and is overvalued due to a certain stat, in this case saves, and it's obvious for all the world to see, EXCEPT for the GMs of other organizations. Nobody's getting dust thrown in their eyes about what JJ is. If you want to move him in exchange for what he's worth, then that is your perogative, but let's not pretend that somebody is going to drastically overpay for him.

Well, GM's do have a track record of overpaying for closers, especially shutdown closers.

Well, w money, sure. Although, Papelbon does a pretty good Mo impression.

When was the last time somebody gave up a top flight talent for a closer? This isn't 1999 anymore boys.

Well, money is value. I'm not saying anybody is going to give their can't miss #1 draft pick for Johnson, but it's quite possible a contender in need of a closer would overpay for him. I think that's the premise.

Well, w money, sure. Although, Papelbon does a pretty good Mo impression.

When was the last time somebody gave up a top flight talent for a closer? This isn't 1999 anymore boys.

Nestor Molina for Sergio Santos? He was the Sox No. 2 prospect after the trade. But scouting reports vary. (He's not been great this year after great results before.)

Andrew Bailey was risky at trade-time, but they got Alcantara back, I guess.

Not too many closer trades recently. Your point is taken, though I guess it's a year-to-year thing.

Nestor Molina for Sergio Santos? He was the Sox No. 2 prospect after the trade. But scouting reports vary. (He's not been great this year after great results before.)

Andrew Bailey was risky at trade-time, but they got Alcantara back, I guess.

Not too many closer trades recently. Your point is taken, though I guess it's a year-to-year thing.

I'd say most teams that are in the pennant race typically have pretty deep bullpens. The overpayment in Free Agency does seem more prevalent.

Archived