Does Flaherty and his .519 OPS have a place on this team?

ChuckS

This is where Tolleson needs to be in the game, but at this point I don't even know if he's back on the Norfolk yo-yo again. I know Flaherty is a Rule V pick but some point you've got to admit he can't play the game.

This is where I am. I don't see the logic of keeping him around anymore. He can't hit. He's good but not great on defense. He's not that young. The fact that we're only a month and a half away from expanded rosters and kept him this long is irrelevant and using that as a reason to keep him is a fallacy. He's not a major league player. And you don't waste roster space on the Major League club for an entire year so that we can stash him in Norfolk. We can get other guys to play in Norfolk that don't require an entire year of eating up a 25 man roster spot.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles threw away a win today because they have been rostering a terrible player who has NO business in the major leagues. Terrible roster management.

Uh. They won. Yes, Flaherty made an error. The Orioles are in the position they are in as a result of their roster management IMO. DD has done a terrific job of shuttling players back and forth from Norfolk to address the team's needs.

I think Flaherty is on this team for the rest of the year barring a deal with the Cubs that allows them to send him down.

Uh. They won. Yes, Flaherty made an error. The Orioles are in the position they are in as a result of their roster management IMO. DD has done a terrific job of shuttling players back and forth from Norfolk to address the team's needs.

I think Flaherty is on this team for the rest of the year barring a deal with the Cubs that allows them to send him down.

Hindsight kicks ass.

If the Os are even remotely trying to be competitive this year, keeping Flaherty on the Major League roster is baffling. Contenders don't keep around AAA guys on the MLB lineup for an entire year so as to have him on the AAA the following year. He needs to be sent back to Chicago (or at least their AA or AAA affiliate). It's not like we're talking about some kid who has a lot of talent and we can expect to work back to Baltimore sometime in 2013. He will never be more than AAAA level talent if that. He may never even be backup worthy (and he certainly isn't that now).

The fact that he didn't end up costing us the win today shouldn't matter.

If the Os are even remotely trying to be competitive this year, keeping Flaherty on the Major League roster is baffling. Contenders don't keep around AAA guys on the MLB lineup for an entire year so as to have him on the AAA the following year. He needs to be sent back to Chicago (or at least their AA or AAA affiliate). It's not like we're talking about some kid who has a lot of talent and we can expect to work back to Baltimore sometime in 2013. He will never be more than AAAA level talent if that. He may never even be backup worthy (and he certainly isn't that now).

The fact that he didn't end up costing us the win today shouldn't matter.

I disagree. The orioles have been competive this year with Flaherty on the roster. As some other posters noted, he has been much better with the bat lately. I think he has flashed some major league ability, and he's getting some valuable major league experience. You are correct that his error not costing us the game does not matter.

In the 9th inning, Flaherty's complete miss on the grounder allows Detroit to tie the game in the top of the 9th.... Seriously. It wasn't that hard of a grounder, he didn't even get in front of the ball.

I bet you Wilson Betemit makes that play and he's not even that great at third base. (probably even Mark Reynolds too but the throw is a different story)...

Not the first time Flaherty has made defensive errors and he is a "defensive replacement" ... aren't defensive replacements supposed to be elite defenders ?

Just another reason why I don't see the point of keeping him around. Maybe he needs to play every day and he would make those kind of plays but he's not cutting it as a part time player so far...

Flaherty is not a great defender at any position, but he is a better 3B than Betemit. But, he blew a play there that was pretty routine.

Flaherty is not a great defender at any position, but he is a better 3B than Betemit. But, he blew a play there that was pretty routine.
Flaherty's defensive metrics are league average a or just below 6 different positions. If he got regular playing time at any of them, he would be solid defensively at 3B, 2B, 1B, and RF. He made a key E at 3B today, but he see's limited playing time at any of those 6 positions. He failed to save JJ from a crappy relief appearance. As usual people are placing too much empahsis on errors. Hardy who is unquestionably an excellent SS, also made an error today and he sees plenty of regular playing time at SS. Flaherty has a total of 2 errors in 136 IN at 6 different positions. Today was his first E in 78 IN at 3B. That would come to 18 errors for a season were he to play 1400 IN. Compare that to the error rate of any other potential 3B on the team.

Flaherty's defensive metrics are league average a or just below 6 different positions. If he got regular playing time at any of them, he would be solid defensively at 3B, 2B, 1B, and RF. He made a key E at 3B today, but he see's limited playing time at any of those 6 positions. He failed to save JJ from a crappy relief appearance. As usual people are placing too much empahsis on errors. Hardy who is unquestionably an excellent SS, also made an error today and he sees plenty of regular playing time at SS. Flaherty has a total of 2 errors in 136 IN at 6 different positions. Today was his first E in 78 IN at 3B. That would come to 18 errors for a season were he to play 1400 IN. Compare that to the error rate of any other potential 3B on the team.

I put a fair amount of stock in the MiL scouting reports which said he was a bit below average anywhere you put him. He doesnt have enough innings at any position this year for me to judge him either by watching him play or reading his stats. What is clear is that he looked like a matador tonight on a tailor made DP grounder. That's not a criticism of how good a 3B he is, it's just a factual description of what happened in this game.

Archived