Does Flaherty and his .519 OPS have a place on this team?

ChuckS

With Chavez on this team and Avery in the wings he is redundant. We need another right handed utility player coming off the bench and someone that can offer more offense than Flaherty.

The guy is going to be 26 years old in two weeks, so it is not as if he is a developingyoung prospect that we can expect to get a lot better. He is not a major leaguer. The guy can't hit off speed stuff to save his life. Time to cut our losses.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am inclined to agree with you, though Flaherty has looked a little better at the plate recently. In his last 6 starts he has gone 7 for 18 with one homer and a walk, and has had at least one hit in each game. Not a huge sample, but then, his entire season isn't a huge sample.

We've kept him this long and only have a month and half until the expanded roster. I don't see him leaving.

I disagree with your asessment that he is not a major leaguer or can't improve. He has never even played at AAA and has limited time in AA. A young player trying to adjust to offspeed stuff isn't exaclty unusual. His OPS has gone up a 100 points in the last 6 games. He needs more AB's.

I'd have preferred to DFA Chavez quite frankly/

edit: He has 180 AB's at AAA.

We've kept him this long and only have a month and half until the expanded roster. I don't see him leaving.

I disagree with your asessment that he is not a major leaguer or can't improve. He has never even played at AAA and has limited time in AA. A young player trying to adjust to offspeed stuff isn't exaclty unusual. His OPS has gone up a 100 points in the last 6 games. He needs more AB's.

I'd have preferred to DFA Chavez quite frankly.

Except as young players go, he isn't very young.

Flaherty has a track record of hitting pretty well in the minors, and hasn't really ever been given an extended shot at anything in the majors.

I think his upside is greater than what Andino is giving us so if I was king I think I would try that for at least a few weeks to see what happens.

Also agree that the closer September 1st gets, the less likely we cut him. I think the O's want him in their system and are willing to sacrifice roster flexibility to do so.

I'm no fan of Chavez either and would love to see him DFA'd as well. But with this team's struggles offensively and defensively you can't afford to keep utility players around that don't fit. Chavez does have one tool: defense. I don't feel Flaherty brings any solid tools to the table at this point. We should be doing everything we can to win now until we are out of contention and having Flaherty on the roster (and Chavez to a certain extent) is just holding us back.

Flaherty has a track record of hitting pretty well in the minors, and hasn't really ever been given an extended shot at anything in the majors.

I think his upside is greater than what Andino is giving us so if I was king I think I would try that for at least a few weeks to see what happens.

Also agree that the closer September 1st gets, the less likely we cut him. I think the O's want him in their system and are willing to sacrifice roster flexibility to do so.

You think so? Because I can't see Flaherty sliding over and playing shortstop everyday for a month if Hardy gets hurt like Andino can.

You think so? Because I can't see Flaherty sliding over and playing shortstop everyday for a month if Hardy gets hurt like Andino can.

Good thing there is room for both Andino and Flaherty on the roster as it's currently constructed. I'm not advocating cutting Andino, just saying he profiles more as a backup instead of a MLB regular. I think Flaherty can OPS better than Andino's paltry .611 and field better than .963 (last in the AL at second base).

I'm not so sure. I actually think he could cut it as the backup ss (even starting for a month if needed). He looked pretty comfortable at the position in ST.

Flaherty is the backup IF on the team now that BRob is on the DL. He is ok at that position. I think he will be at AAA next year, playing 2B. With a extend try out there he may even hit.

I agree that Andino will probably not be starting 2B next year. He is move back to UIF next year. Right now I would say the starting 2B on open day next year will come from outside the O's organization though I think BRob will work out all winter and see if he can win the job.

I'd have preferred to DFA Chavez quite frankly/

edit: He has 180 AB's at AAA.

This is the best point I have seen made yet. I would be more upset now if the Orioles gave up on him because then it makes wasting that 25th space for the last 3.5 months seem even worse.

Archived