Does Flaherty and his .519 OPS have a place on this team?

ChuckS

He was judged to be our number seven prospect immediately upon drafting him. Before several of those above him regressed. He was said to be a work in process with the glove and has shown surprising versatility, even the ability to play shortstop in an emergency. I think he had definitely been hurt by the inconsistant playing time and in no way do I think he was really a major leaguer this season. I think he has been over matched against MLB pitchers. It was a good shot tho take at the time and he is so close to the finish line now I just can't see giving up on the experiment. If he can be a second baseman or a third baseman we may be very lucky on this one. He has the frame to develop insane power. And that shot over the trees last night was really impressive. I would love to know what Thome has been telling him when he has been talking to him on the rail the last few games.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. He has the tools to become an adequate defender at 3B. He didn't play much 3B in the minors. The reports and my impressions are that he's too big and not quick enough for the middle of the diamond although he you might get by with him at 2B if his bat was plus. I think 3B is is most likely destination if his bat develops.

For the record, and this is my personal definition, adequate < average. To me adequate means he can get by. Reynolds prior to last season was adequate at third base.

For the record, and this is my personal definition, adequate < average. To me adequate means he can get by. Reynolds prior to last season was adequate at third base.
Latin adaequatus, past participle of adaequare to make equal, from ad- + aequare to equal

But in common usage, I think you are right, it has a slightly pejorative connotation.

I think we would both agree that we don't have enough information on Flaherty to know whether he'll be average, below average, or even above average as a 3B. He's had very little time there both in the minors and majors. Even Baseball America's scouting report suggests that there isn't a lot to go by at this point. I haven't seen enough of him at 3B to form a strong opinion but I haven't seen any red flags that suggest that he can't be average over there.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I don't know why you're so insistent on him being a 3B. To me his value is tied up in staying at 2B. If he does, he's likely above replacement level even with slightly sub-par defense. At 3B things become a lot more complicated. From what we've seen this year I don't think it's far-fetched to think he could stick at 2B as he progresses, though his defense there would probably have a ceiling of mediocre-average.

Dempsey, and you, are honestly trying to compare a 25 year old Flaherty and a 22 year old Markakis? You do realize that Flaherty has had fully 50% more PA in the minors?

C'mon, I was pretty careful to pretty much state that there isn't much comparison for them-- and I wasn't comparing them even so much as I was using Markakis for perspective on the double-standard between our patience with Markakis and the insane lack of patience for Flaherty here on the board.

I recuse myself from defending Dempsey's comparison, though. :D

That home run last night was an eye opener. A 430 foot shot to left center. Only a handful of second basemen can do that.

It would be great to see Flaherty finish off the season well. Maybe we see a 2B platoon next year, with Andino- who could also be the late inning defensive replacement.

Seriously, just cut him now. I really want to rant. Cannot play defense, cannot hit, cannot sacrifice, what can he do other then hold the bench spot?

I hope this is another time that I am proven dramatically wrong. I still want more from his glove, the ability to bunt and move runners, and a consistency in his bat. Maybe the thing he offers the most is some extra time for Schoop not to be rushed while Andino and Roberts are out.

I hope this is another time that I am proven dramatically wrong. I still want more from his glove, the ability to bunt and move runners, and a consistency in his bat. Maybe the thing he offers the most is some extra time for Schoop not to be rushed while Andino and Roberts are out.

I disagree about what we should hope for from Ryan. His strength has never been what is typical for a 2b. He has the potential to be a slugging 2b, that being said I am not that interested in his bunting skills. He has consistently had a decent OBP and good ISO so I am looking for him to actually start walking more often and hitting the ball with authority.

He does have a quick bat and good pop, but here's the stat that concerns me with Flaherty: 2 BB's and 34 K's this year. That's not going to get it done at the ML level, so let's hope he can reverse this. I do have some hope that he can eventually be a solid utility guy.

He does have a quick bat and good pop, but here's the stat that concerns me with Flaherty: 2 BB's and 34 K's this year. That's not going to get it done at the ML level, so let's hope he can reverse this. I do have some hope that he can eventually be a solid utility guy.

His BB/K numbers were much better in the minors. He's probably getting exposed to better offspeed stuff he has not really seen before. Probably the same issue in AAA. Not really an uncommon issue. Just a matter if he can adjust or not.

2 BB's to 34 K's in almost 100 at bats. Seems to get totally dominated by anything off speed. Yes, he has hit a couple homeruns recently, but we already knew he had some pop. As a utility player he doesn't offer great speed or defense. I don't see the upside and still feel he is a wasted roster spot, but with said, we don't have much else at 2B right now. So at this point being a month away from expanded rosters, we might as well ride it out.

His BB/K numbers were much better in the minors. He's probably getting exposed to better offspeed stuff he has not really seen before. Probably the same issue in AAA. Not really an uncommon issue. Just a matter if he can adjust or not.

Especially now that he's seeing regular PT. It's not easy to come up to the bigs and try to establish yourself off the bench. I think these numbers are evidence of him pressing at the plate with the few opportunities he's had.

Archived