Yeizer Marrugo (Colombian pitcher signed last fall)

Frobby

I got curious today about what was happening with Yeizer Marrugo, who we signed out of Colombia last fall for $120,000. Marrugo is pitching in the DSL this year at age 17, out of the bullpen so far. In 5 appearances: 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 10 BB, 8 K's.

Here is the thread from when he was signed, which contains a link to an article or two about him: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/116514-Orioles-sign-Colombian-prospect?highlight=marrugo

I got curious today about what was happening with Yeizer Marrugo, who we signed out of Colombia last fall for $120,000. Marrugo is pitching in the DSL this year at age 17, out of the bullpen so far. In 5 appearances: 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 10 BB, 8 K's.

Here is the thread from when he was signed, which contains a link to an article or two about him: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/116514-Orioles-sign-Colombian-prospect?highlight=marrugo

Everything good but those walks. Last time out three in one short appearance, IIRC. He usually comes in late in the game, often as the last pitcher. Maybe he's effectively wild, but that will have to get better.

I've been following the DSL box scores for the first time this year at the Minor League website, particularly to see how the Brazilian Moreno has been doing. Very well, so far.

Everything good but those walks. Last time out three in one short appearance, IIRC. He usually comes in late in the game, often as the last pitcher. Maybe he's effectively wild, but that will have to get better.

I've been following the DSL box scores for the first time this year at the Minor League website, particularly to see how the Brazilian Moreno has been doing. Very well, so far.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at how well Moreno is doing. He and Marrugo are pretty clearly the guys to watch on that DSL squad, along with Ronarsy Ledesma, who should finally get a shot to come Stateside next summer based on his performance this year.

Fun to check up on, but unfortunately DSL statistics tell you next to nothing.

• 3 months later...
Under MacPhail, DSL players rarely got a shot in the states. It was depressing. I'm glad to see a lot of the guys like Chalas, Veloz, ERod, and others getting a shot under Duq.

ERod & Chalas played in the GCL last year after impressing in their first years in 2010. Last year was Veloz's first season and a .666 OPS isn't that impressive. I don't really see how this factors into a MacPhail vs. DD thing.

They were taking it easy with Marrugo last year in the DSL, mostly pitching him in short stints of an inning or two. The guy they had starting a lot was the Brazilian Moreno, who was very good most of the year, but had a couple of bad outings toward the end.

Under MacPhail, DSL players rarely got a shot in the states. It was depressing. I'm glad to see a lot of the guys like Chalas, Veloz, ERod, and others getting a shot under Duq.
ERod & Chalas played in the GCL last year after impressing in their first years in 2010. Last year was Veloz's first season and a .666 OPS isn't that impressive. I don't really see how this factors into a MacPhail vs. DD thing.

Really. These are all guys who were signed under MacPhail's watch.

2009 DSL & 2009 GCL OR 2010 GCL

Eiris Ramirez

Jose Nivar#

Dudley Leonora

Enrico Jimenez*

Gino Moranci*

Jonathan Schoop

Jose Mota

Martin Serrata#

Rojean Cleofa

2010 DSL & 2010 GCL or 2011 GCL

Eduardo Rodriguez*

Gregory Lorenzo

Israel Sosa*

Ivan Hernandez

Juan Guzman

Manuel Hernandez

Miguel Chalas

Pedro Perez

Roderick Bernadina

2011 DSL & 2011 GCL or 2012 GCL

Israel Sosa*

Alexander Mercedes

Alexander Santana

Byron Capellan

Dioni Dominguez

Domingo Salas

Elias Pinales*

Hector Veloz

Janser Severino

Jhondaniel Medina

Jose Figuereo

Oswill Lartiguez

I stand corrected. Promotion from DSL to the GCL has been about the same. Duquette actually sent a lot of guys from the GCL back to the DSL.

Maybe the talent coming out of the DSL lately seems better.

Maybe the talent coming out of the DSL lately seems better.

Who do you like? Last year I did a thread on the top 10 international players in our system. Here was my list then:

1. Jonathan Schoop, age 19, Frederick. He's on fire right now after having a bit of trouble adjusting to the Carolina League, with his overall line at .270/.330/.383. What he's doing in that league at age 19 is very impressive.

2. Eduardo Rodriguez, age 18, GCL. Had some hiccups recently, but still sporting a 1.81 ERA, .177 BAA, 1.74 GO/AO, 46/17 K/BB in 44 IP. He carried a 2.33 ERA in the DSL last season.

3. Miguel Chalas, age 19, GCL. 2.25 ERA, .262 BAA, 1.55 GO/AO, 40/7 K/BB in 44 IP. He carried a 1.72 ERA in the DSL last year.

4. Hector Veloz, age 17, DSL. Our $300 k bonus baby from last year. Not too impressive a line, .225/.344/.322, but the BB rate is impressive and he's very young.

5. Gabriel Lino, age 18, GCL. A catcher with a .292/.378/.444 line in 79 PA. He appears to have matured a lot after posting a .631 OPS in the DSL as a 17-year old. Kind of a small sample size on this guy so take my ranking with a grain of salt.

6. Roderick Bernadina, age 18, GCL. An OF with a .249/.347/.420 line in 189 PA. BA is not outstanding, but good plate discipline as shown by 24/20 K/BB. I'm partly going on scouting reports from posters who have seen him play.

7. Jorge Rivera, age 20, GCL. 1.20 ERA, .209 BAA, 3.82 GO/AO, 34/16 K/BB in 30 IP, mostly in relief. He carried a 1.21 ERA in the DSL last year.

8. Juan Guzman, age 20, GCL. 1.20 ERA, .218 BAA, 0.87 GO/AO, 30/7 K/BB in 30 IP. Posted a 2.60 ERA in the DSL last year.

9. Alexander Mercedes, age 19, DSL. Posting a .317/.405/.422 line repeating the DSL. Nice strike zone command with an 18/26 K/BB ratio in 225 PA.

10. Pedro Florimon, age 24, Bowie. Meh, he is what he is, I suppose. I still suspect he may get a cup of coffee in the majors some day. Posting a .267/.344/390 line for the Baysox.

Lino and Florimon are gone now. Players of interest to me are:

Jhondaniel Medina, age 19, GCL. 3.72 ERA but a 1.09 WHIP and 9.20 K/9, 2.76 K/BB.

Elias Pinales, age 19, GCL. 2.48 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 8.18 K/9, 3.67 K/9.

I didn't know that the GM is the one who makes the decisions as to which players play at particular levels. I thought it had something to do with the players' performances.

Oh silly me!

• 8 months later...

Bump....

Marrugo is still in the Dominican league, but pitching as a starter this year. The good news: a 2.77 ERA and less that a hit per inning. The bad news: an RA of 5.88, a BB rate of 5.2 per 9 IP, and a K rate of 4.8 per 9 IP. Stay tuned.....

• 1 year later...

Archived