How much is Nate McClouth going to cost?

ChuckS

I dont think McLouth will accept a platoon role here or anywhere else.

Possibly, but that'd be a really favorable platoon for him going into the season, considering he's going to be in there for all the righty matchups, and there have to be serious doubts about giving Reimold a major full-time workload. If anything I'd wonder if Reimold might cut more into the playing time of our DH than McLouth.

I think the extension happens, personally. That just worked too well for all parties involved. I still have that lingering fear that we get the 2010-early 2012 McLouth, of course, but the worst case scenario is that you get an outstanding baserunner and gold glover winner that can't hit the ball. I can live with that as the extra outfielder, even if they are paying too much for it. We saw the upside here. Too enticing not to double-dip.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We may have a big decision to make if we retain Nate and Nolan is ready. Are we ready to abandon the Reimold years?

I like Nolan Reimold but, by now, the Reimold years are nearly past, today was his 29th (TWENTY-NINTH!) birthday. He's only 2 years younger than Nate McLouth and is, in fact, slightly OLDER, than Nick Markakis. Even if he can stay healthy and productive all next year he's not really anything more than a stop gap for a few years until someone better comes along. Let him prove he's healthy as a backup corner outfielder/DH.

I'm not sure there are many teams that will guarantee McLouth "real" money as a starter but I also don't think he' being overrated. He provides a lot of things this team needs. Not sure why he stunk for two years but injuries were clearly a part of it. The good AB's, the speed atop the order, and the defense in LF were not a mirage. It really happened.

I dont think 3 years at $5 million per is a lot of real money in baseball terms.

I dont think McLouth will accept a platoon role here or anywhere else. Heck he was our best hitter in the playoffs.

I'd offer him something around 3 years for $15 Million. I think he'd accept that type of deal. Reimold starts the year at AAA and proves he is healthy. If he gets real hot I deal him on a high.

Thats insane.

I like McLouth but having a couple of good months and a decent playoff series is not justification to spend that kind of money.

If Nate plays at the level he did these final months for a whole season then you might be talking that kinda dough. Likely he will get say 2 or 3 million on a one year deal...maybe a two year deal with one being a club option.

Reimold is out of options. If he's healthy when spring training breaks there is no way he clears waivers.

Thats a mighty big if ......

Unless he proves otherwise Reimold should be considered depth at best. Counting on the guy as a starter is a mistake.

I'm not sure there are many teams that will guarantee McLouth "real" money as a starter but I also don't think he' being overrated. He provides a lot of things this team needs. Not sure why he stunk for two years but injuries were clearly a part of it. The good AB's, the speed atop the order, and the defense in LF were not a mirage. It really happened.

236 AB's.

Good defense for 1/3 season.

Great role player, pay him as such.

I dont think McLouth will accept a platoon role here or anywhere else. Heck he was our best hitter in the playoffs.

I'd offer him something around 3 years for $15 Million. I think he'd accept that type of deal. Reimold starts the year at AAA and proves he is healthy. If he gets real hot I deal him on a high.

Reimold is out of options so you can't simply start him at Norfolk.

It's hard to believe that McLouth improved his market that much but it's possible. It's not a lot by baseball standards. It is a lot for a player who has stunk for two years and had two good months. Looks to me like a healthy McLouth is worth 3/15 but I think the market is lower than those numbers. I hope so for the O's sake.

Agree 100%.

People are so caught up in this last couple months they are looking at it from a fan perspective, and not from a POV of a team looking from the outside (looking at the entire picture)

A McLouth/Reimold platoon, while not ideal, could work: McLouth is significantly better vs RHP (.793 vs .649 OPS) while Reimold is essentially even (.804 vs .775 OPS). Use McLouth against most righties, get his superior defense, with Reimold as a late-game pinch-hitter for Flaherty or whomever, and start Reimold against lefties, to cover for McLouth's heavy split.

I'd be 100% fine if our four opening day OFs are Reimold, McLouth, Markakis, Jones. Starting at AAA for another year won't hurt Avery or Hoes.

A McLouth/Reimold platoon, while not ideal, could work: McLouth is significantly better vs RHP (.793 vs .649 OPS) while Reimold is essentially even (.804 vs .775 OPS). Use McLouth against most righties, get his superior defense, with Reimold as a late-game pinch-hitter for Flaherty or whomever, and start Reimold against lefties, to cover for McLouth's heavy split.

I'd be 100% fine if our four opening day OFs are Reimold, McLouth, Markakis, Jones. Starting at AAA for another year won't hurt Avery or Hoes.

What is the obsession with Reimold? Someone please tell me.

What is the obsession with Reimold? Someone please tell me.

He was a easy-to-love, highly regarded prospect who made the BA top 100 in 2006 (#99) and 2008 (#91). He was streaky, so people see his high highs and think "if only he can keep it up." In 916 major league PAs, or almost two full seasons worth, he has put up a .794 OPS (Nate McLouth this year, with Baltimore: .777. Nate McLouth, career: .756). He keeps missing time for hard-luck, easy-to-find-an-excuse reasons: tough injuries, some personal drama. When he plays, he goes all out, with tons of hustle, lots of power, and some speed.

It seems like the only thing that has to go right for him to be an above-average right fielder is to actually play in baseball games.

He was a easy-to-love, highly regarded prospect who made the BA top 100 in 2006 (#99) and 2008 (#91). He was streaky, so people see his high highs and think "if only he can keep it up." In 916 major league PAs, or almost two full seasons worth, he has put up a .794 OPS (Nate McLouth this year, with Baltimore: .777. Nate McLouth, career: .756). He keeps missing time for hard-luck, easy-to-find-an-excuse reasons: tough injuries, some personal drama. When he plays, he goes all out, with tons of hustle, lots of power, and some speed.

It seems like the only thing that has to go right for him to be an above-average right fielder is to actually play in baseball games.

I get all that. "Potential". But you can only hang on to that for so long. We are going into year 5 here, not year 2.

That is a guy who you bring in with NO expectations, and then see what you have. I'm not "penciling him in" for anything.

Counting him to play a somewhat key role for an entire season? Uhhh....no.

I get all that. "Potential". But you can only hang on to that for so long. We are going into year 5 here, not year 2.

That is a guy who you bring in with NO expectations, and then see what you have. I'm not "penciling him in" for anything.

Counting him to play a somewhat key role for an entire season? Uhhh....no.

:agree:

I love the job the guy did for us but its not like he hit .333 or something he did a reasonable job and hustled. I would expect that from a guy trying to resurrect his career. He had a nice playoff series, but again its a small sample size.

I would love to have Nate as the 4th OF and its not unreasonable to think that can happen. Despite what many may think, I do not expect teams to be beating his door down. He will draw some interest but not nearly as much as some think. He had a good start to his career and a couple good months here sandwiched by a lot of disappointing time for whatever reasons. I dont see anyone gaurenteeing him a starting OF role, maybe the chance to compete at best. He is certainly not gonna get 3yrs 15million as someone else suggested.

Archived