How much is Nate McClouth going to cost?

ChuckS

Free Agent Stock Watch: Nate McLouth

By Mike Axisa [October 13, 2012 at 7:47pm CST]

The last few seasons have been a rollercoaster for 30-year-old Nate McLouth, a former All-Star with the Pirates who finished the season as the regular left fielder for the Orioles. In between he was traded to the Braves, had his option declined, re-signed by the Pirates, released by Pittsburgh, and signed by Baltimore.

Uspw_6644238McLouth earned himself a three-year deal worth $15.75MM back in 2009 after hitting .276/.356/.497 with 26 homers, 23 steals, and a league-leading 46 doubles back in 2008. He was traded to Atlanta shortly thereafter, where he put together just a .229/.335/.364 batting line in over 1,000 plate appearances across three years. After a second tour of duty as a bench player with the Pirates failed, McLouth hooked on with the Orioles and had the best stretch of his career since breaking out in 2008.

Called up in early-August after hitting .244/.325/.461 in 209 plate appearances for the team's Triple-A affiliate, McLouth quickly assumed Baltimore's left field job full-time and even batted third for a few weeks. When Nick Markakis went down with a season-ending thumb injury, the 2008 All-Star assumed the leadoff spot. McLouth finished the season with a .268/.342/.435 batting line in 236 plate appearances for the Orioles, and he went 7-for-22 (.318) with a homer and two steals against the Yankees in the ALDS.

McLouth is now set to head back onto the open market, this time on much more favorable terms after the Braves declined his club option last winter. He's a .248/.335/.421 hitter in nearly 3,000 career plate appearances, and he's shown both speed and decent pop from the left side. As a left-handed hitter, most of his damage comes against righties (.257/.346/.447) and not lefties (.223/.303/.346). Although he's is a strong defender by reputation, the various advanced metrics actually rate him as below-average.

Two strong months and one great playoff series with the Orioles won't be enough to make teams forget McLouth's performance with Pirates earlier this year as well with the Braves. He fits best as a platoon corner outfielder who can fill in at center on occasion, and the good news is that he's on the "heavy" side of the platoon as a lefty. I think McLouth's best free agent comparable may be Casey Kotchman, another guy who bounced around and struggled for years before having the proverbial "one good year" with the Rays a season ago. He turned that year into a one-year, $3MM contract with the Indians last offseason.

Earlier today we learned that McLouth would like to return to the Orioles, but the club already boasts impressive outfield depth with Markakis, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, and even Chris Davis. There simply may not be a spot for him in Baltimore next season. McLouth played well enough down the stretch that he will likely be able to find a guaranteed contract (rather than a minor league deal) on the open market, but that contract may only be for one year and a few million bucks. He'll have to repeat this year's his success again in 2013 before richer opportunities come along.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last few seasons have been a rollercoaster for 30-year-old Nate McLouth, a former All-Star with the Pirates who finished the season as the regular left fielder for the Orioles. In between he was traded to the Braves, had his option declined, re-signed by the Pirates, released by Pittsburgh, and signed by Baltimore.

Uspw_6644238McLouth earned himself a three-year deal worth $15.75MM back in 2009 after hitting .276/.356/.497 with 26 homers, 23 steals, and a league-leading 46 doubles back in 2008. He was traded to Atlanta shortly thereafter, where he put together just a .229/.335/.364 batting line in over 1,000 plate appearances across three years. After a second tour of duty as a bench player with the Pirates failed, McLouth hooked on with the Orioles and had the best stretch of his career since breaking out in 2008.

Called up in early-August after hitting .244/.325/.461 in 209 plate appearances for the team's Triple-A affiliate, McLouth quickly assumed Baltimore's left field job full-time and even batted third for a few weeks. When Nick Markakis went down with a season-ending thumb injury, the 2008 All-Star assumed the leadoff spot. McLouth finished the season with a .268/.342/.435 batting line in 236 plate appearances for the Orioles, and he went 7-for-22 (.318) with a homer and two steals against the Yankees in the ALDS.

McLouth is now set to head back onto the open market, this time on much more favorable terms after the Braves declined his club option last winter. He's a .248/.335/.421 hitter in nearly 3,000 career plate appearances, and he's shown both speed and decent pop from the left side. As a left-handed hitter, most of his damage comes against righties (.257/.346/.447) and not lefties (.223/.303/.346). Although he's is a strong defender by reputation, the various advanced metrics actually rate him as below-average.

Two strong months and one great playoff series with the Orioles won't be enough to make teams forget McLouth's performance with Pirates earlier this year as well with the Braves. He fits best as a platoon corner outfielder who can fill in at center on occasion, and the good news is that he's on the "heavy" side of the platoon as a lefty. I think McLouth's best free agent comparable may be Casey Kotchman, another guy who bounced around and struggled for years before having the proverbial "one good year" with the Rays a season ago. He turned that year into a one-year, $3MM contract with the Indians last offseason.

Earlier today we learned that McLouth would like to return to the Orioles, but the club already boasts impressive outfield depth with Markakis, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, and even Chris Davis. There simply may not be a spot for him in Baltimore next season. McLouth played well enough down the stretch that he will likely be able to find a guaranteed contract (rather than a minor league deal) on the open market, but that contract may only be for one year and a few million bucks. He'll have to repeat this year's his success again in 2013 before richer opportunities come along.

Exactly....if the O's want him back as the 4th OF they will have no issues with having him at that spot.

Like I said in another thread, its a new day, we need to start thinking like a winning organization and you do not gamble that way (McLouth as starting OF) if you expect to win. Now McLouth as a 4th OF...now you have a guy who brings value to your team as he has the potential to exceed the expectations of the role.

If we're looking at 1/$3M, or maybe something like 1/$2.5M with a $3M option/$1M buyout, I'd say go for it and plan to start next season with an outfield foursome of McLouth, Jones, Markakis, Reimold. McLouth and Reimold usually switching off in LF and occasionally letting Jones or Markakis DH or come in as a PH.

Pretty good summation. Right in line with what I was thinking. At 1/3, I'd bring McLouth back regardless of Baltimore's outfield "depth."

Can't he put up a .390 OPS from the #2 spot? We have no speed on this team. McLouth can actually steal bases. Look at how many runs Nick scored from the leadoff spot and how many McLouth scored from the leadoff spot. Speed does matter.
At some point I would liketo see Manny in the 2 spot and, Nick in the 3. McLouth and Manny up front is a lot of speed. I think Nick can be a fine 3 hole hitter if he doesn't change his approach and try to be a slugger.

Can't he put up a .390 OPS from the #2 spot? We have no speed on this team. McLouth can actually steal bases. Look at how many runs Nick scored from the leadoff spot and how many McLouth scored from the leadoff spot. Speed does matter.

I just did.

Nick scored 34 runs in 54 games, of which 5 were via homerun. So 29 times in 54 games someone else knocked him in.

McLouth scored 15 runs in 24 games, of which 5 were via homerun. So 11 times in 24 games someone else knocked him in.

Nick scored .537 runs per game in which another batter knocked him in, Nate .458.

If you can get McLouth back at 1 year/$3m, I think that is pretty much a no brainer. Even if Nate struggles at the plate next season and ends up being relegated to 4th OF/defensive replacement/pinch runner, that is not an insane amount of money to pay for a guy like that. Personally, I think it might take a little more (probably more in years than money) but that is just a guess.

As for Reimold versus McLouth, if the O's can get McLouth back on a reasonable contract, then there really isn't much of a conflict. If Reimold is healthy, there will be a place for him on the team regardless of McLouth's role on the team. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having Reimold and McLouth on the opening day roster while Avery and Hoes are in Norfolk ready to be called up. This season showed just how important having good depth can be. Honestly, if he can't get a job anyone else I'd try to get Lew Ford back on a minor league deal. Stock up on options and thinks will shake out for the best.

At some point I would liketo see Manny in the 2 spot and, Nick in the 3. McLouth and Manny up front is a lot of speed. I think Nick can be a fine 3 hole hitter if he doesn't change his approach and try to be a slugger.

I'd rather see Nick at 1, Manny at 2, Jones at 3, Davis at 4.

Where did you hear this?

I think there was an interview with Adam Rosenbloom where he mentioned something along the lines of wanting to come back.

Personally, I see him getting a deal elsewhere. (1 year/3 mil) I believe we are good without him.

Archived