Rosenthal reports that Bedard trade talks have slowed

ChaosLex

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably not a revelation, but, if I may, a little first hand experience dealing with PA:

I worked at one time for a major national company that handled accounts for a several major area hospitals. PA's firm represented a woman who owed on hospital quite a lot of money as a result of an accident. The woman was suing the other driver but the case had been continued several times and the hospital wanted its money before the statute of limitations on suing her ran out.

PA's attorney (he has no partners - not even his son - so they are all employees) asked if a settlement could be arranged. We negotiated a settlement that was fair for both sides. I had the paper work delivered to PA's office expecting it to be signed and returned by the day. Instead I got a call from the attorney - "Mr. Angelos has to review all settlements...." He was going to call me back ASAP.

1 week goes by so I call - still waiting on Peter. 1 month, 2 months. At 3 months the client wanted to forget the settlement and sue. But that day the attorney calls - papers signed, check on the way. After I told the guy how close they were to having his client lose out big he said this is how Angelos does business. No one makes decisions but PA. This was not a complex decision yet it took 3 months and went right to the brink.

This is probably not a revelation, but, if I may, a little first hand experience dealing with PA:

I worked at one time for a major national company that handled accounts for a several major area hospitals. PA's firm represented a woman who owed on hospital quite a lot of money as a result of an accident. The woman was suing the other driver but the case had been continued several times and the hospital wanted its money before the statute of limitations on suing her ran out.

PA's attorney (he has no partners - not even his son - so they are all employees) asked if a settlement could be arranged. We negotiated a settlement that was fair for both sides. I had the paper work delivered to PA's office expecting it to be signed and returned by the day. Instead I got a call from the attorney - "Mr. Angelos has to review all settlements...." He was going to call me back ASAP.

1 week goes by so I call - still waiting on Peter. 1 month, 2 months. At 3 months the client wanted to forget the settlement and sue. But that day the attorney calls - papers signed, check on the way. After I told the guy how close they were to having his client lose out big he said this is how Angelos does business. No one makes decisions but PA. This was not a complex decision yet it took 3 months and went right to the brink.

If that's the case, he's got to relax and trust the people who work for him....especially on cases that are relatively simple like that. You save money by having the lowest cost provider resolve cases and you'd think that his employees' time is cheaper than his is.

Plus, this is baseball not law: you'd have to think that AM knows 50 times more about baseball than PA does.

The Cubs offer is just waiting to be signed by Angelos who may be waiting a bit to make it look like the Orioles aren't just trading him because of his steroid admission. Tomorrow or Fri all the deals will go down IMO so the prospective players won't have to think about being traded during the holiday season.

That makes sense

Because Morrow isn't close to ready. He needs to straighten out his control issues in the minors, not on the arbitration clock.

Gallagher and Patton are certainly more ready for MLB than Morrow, IMO. Liz is pretty close, but probably a bit ahead as well.

Morrow had a 2:1 K/BB ratio in the 2nd half after going 32/33 K/BB in the 1st half. I'd say he's straightened it out enough.

I know it's besides the point, but I can't see Roberts not loving this deal. The Cubs don't give up much for him, and he'll be going to a big name team, in a big market, that was in the playoffs last year, and (on a side note) he'll get to spend an extra month at home since the Cubs are in the Cactus league.

If PA brought this up in their discussion a few days ago, I would be shocked if BR asked him to squash it. In fact, I would think he'd welcome it.

If I were an established Major League player I'd find that part insulting. I agree with the rest of it though. I suggested in another thread that he might be able to make the trade happen if Angelos were the only barrier. He does hate the cold though... Chicago wouldn't be too great for that in April-May and September-October... but I think the winning would matter more. I definitely don't see him asking Angelos to squash any deal. He's already put the few (6, I think) teams he really doesn't want to go to on his no-trade list.

If that's the case, he's got to relax and trust the people who work for him....especially on cases that are relatively simple like that. You save money by having the lowest cost provider resolve cases and you'd think that his employees' time is cheaper than his is.

Plus, this is baseball not law: you'd have to think that AM knows 50 times more about baseball than PA does.

Agreed, but Angelos has had people working for him for years that know 50 times more about baseball than PA and it doesn't seem to matter.

I was referring to how PA operates in general. Everything moves in PA time.

This is why I have to believe AM got the sign-offs in advance. Even if PA is all for it, if he gums up the process the other team is going to shop somewhere else. I gotta believe AM is smart enough to have known that coming in.

We got it the first time!:rolleyes:

Archived