DD focused on a leftfielder and a DH in interview with MLBTR

wildcard

I dont need to have credibility in your eyes and you don't need to be a ________________. Personally I dont give a good crap about what you think!!!! Just because we don't agree that doesn't make you right. And personally I don't need to listen to you talk down to me like a little kid hiding behind a anonymous posting handle.Again I personally dont give a good crap what you think. I noticed you ignored the part about my offering of the bet, just like the other poster. But dont worry if/when Bundy falls short #1 starter top prospect status I will be sure to call you out on it.

So this year your list includes Bundy & Gausman .... A couple of years ago I'm sure it included Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, & Britton. All four of these guys have looked pretty bad at some point over the last two seasons. Not one of them has established himself to what he was projected to be. Guys are calling Matusz a success because he had a few good weeks as a LOOGY. Personally he is a major bust based on where he was drafted. Arrieta has really been awful and has fallen far from what he was projected to be. Tillman was horrendous last season and it looks like he may be the lone guy to figure it out. Britton has been very ordinary since hurting his shoulder. My point is why not trade a few of these guys while their value is still intact?

Just to be clear. Your logic is...

The O's have been poor at developing talent. Therefore, we should be trading our elite MiL'ers for more costly established players before the MiL'ers get the chance to fail before our eyes. It's inevitable. See Hayden Penn.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to be clear. Your logic is...

The O's have been poor at developing talent. Therefore, we should be trading our elite MiL'ers for more costly established players before the MiL'ers get the chance to fail before our eyes. It's inevitable. See Hayden Penn.

More important than the problem of developing them ... A good GM knows who to trade and who to keep. Previous Orioles GMs including McPhail have not shown the ability to be able to determine which players would make it and which ones would flop. I think the longer DD is in place the more you will see him move some of those players that he determines might not make it. I think the Orioles have a surplus of starters right now that include all of Arrieta, Matusz, S Johnson, Britton to go along with Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez , Tillman , and Likely Saunders (whom I think they will resign).

So as I stated early in the thread ...I'd look to make a deal for Butler that includes choice (Britton or Matusz), (Johnson or Arrieta), Schoop, and a prospect b/c type....I'd allow them to select Avery or Hoes if they want one of them instead of the unnamed prospect. I dont think Hoes has a position and I think Avery will be blocked longterm by Nick, Jones,and The LF they sign.

More important than the problem of developing them ... A good GM knows who to trade and who to keep. Previous Orioles GMs including McPhail have not shown the ability to be able to determine which players would make it and which ones would flop. I think the longer DD is in place the more you will see him move some of those players that he determines might not make it. I think the Orioles have a surplus of starters right now that include all of Arrieta, Matusz, S Johnson, Britton to go along with Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez , Tillman , and Likely Saunders (whom I think they will resign).

So as I stated early in the thread ...I'd look to make a deal for Butler that includes choice (Britton or Matusz), (Johnson or Arrieta), Schoop, and a prospect b/c type....I'd allow them to select Avery or Hoes if they want one of them instead of the unnamed prospect. I dont think Hoes has a position and I think Avery will be blocked longterm by Nick, Jones,and The LF they sign.

If it was Bundy + Avery/or Hoes/or B-C prospect, would you do it?

If it was Bundy + Avery/or Hoes/or B-C prospect, would you do it?

I'm not sure ... I said "personally I'd consider moving him in that deal". I didnt say I would for sure. I would at very least consider it. But I'd try to get them to take someone else. And I'd offer a extra player to try to get them to accept another option.

I'd certainly would immediately extend Butler If I trade for him to be sure he's on my team 5-6 years from now. I believe he will hit 35ish home runs playing half at Camden. He also hits for a .300 avg and walks a good bit. Would I like Butler to play 1B? Yes as it would remove all the bellyaching about trading Bundy for a DH.

Talk about someone getting their panties in a bunch, wow.

I already made the point why it wasn't worth trading any of the 4 of them. Probability would tell you only 1 or 2 would make it and we needed all of the rotation help we could get. Now that the rotation is a little bit more stabilized, I am fine with trading one or two of them for offense help. But I am not including Gausman or Bundy, as both are more highly regarded then anyone on that list besides maybe Matusz.

I dont think I was replying to your post ....Just sayin'

Talk about someone getting their panties in a bunch, wow.

I already made the point why it wasn't worth trading any of the 4 of them. Probability would tell you only 1 or 2 would make it and we needed all of the rotation help we could get. Now that the rotation is a little bit more stabilized, I am fine with trading one or two of them for offense help. But I am not including Gausman or Bundy, as both are more highly regarded then anyone on that list besides maybe Matusz.

i have a feeling this rant by Johnny Trea was directed at me but I put him on block after reading more and more of his strawman arguments! Lol so now you can take up the good fight :-)

Anyone who thinks they know how Hammel, Chen, Gonzo and Tillman will do next year is kidding themselves. Yes they deserve to begin ST as the favorites to start the season in the rotation. But passed that its the world of the unknown. Injuries, poor performance, having a tired arm because of pitching more innings in 2012 then they have done before. There are a lot of reasons that make these pitcher's performances unpredictable.

That is why the O's need a bunch of starters behind them. No one knows who will step forward if called on. It could be any of Wada, Matusz, Britton or Steve Johnson. The O's have the best chance of overcoming starter problems by being deep with candidates to take over when someone or several someones fail.

I think this is one of the most important parts of the off season. Keeping as much starting depth as possible. That helped drive them to the playoff last year and it could do the same thing in 2013.

I'm not sure ... I said "personally I'd consider moving him in that deal". I didnt say I would for sure. I would at very least consider it. But I'd try to get them to take someone else. And I'd offer a extra player to try to get them to accept another option.

I'd certainly would immediately extend Butler If I trade for him to be sure he's on my team 5-6 years from now. I believe he will hit 35ish home runs playing half at Camden. He also hits for a .300 avg and walks a good bit. Would I like Butler to play 1B? Yes as it would remove all the bellyaching about trading Bundy for a DH.

I won't say I would never trade Dylan Bundy, but I will go on record that it would be crazy (imo) to trade him for Billy Butler.

I've been told that

i have a feeling this rant by Johnny Trea was directed at me but I put him on block after reading more and more of his strawman arguments! Lol so now you can take up the good fight :-)

Some people consider being called Trea to be a personal insult.

Well it won't happen again, I put him on ignore!

This is good ... I'm sick of the I'm right and your wrong because. I have no way to prove my side of the discussion but insult you using old posters names and other off the wall cuts. Simply classless and speaks to the kind of individual thats just a wanna be Internet bully.

Anyone who thinks they know how Hammel, Chen, Gonzo and Tillman will do next year is kidding themselves. Yes they deserve to begin ST as the favorites to start the season in the rotation. But passed that its the world of the unknown. Injuries, poor performance, having a tired arm because of pitching more innings in 2012 then they have done before. There are a lot of reasons that make these pitcher's performances unpredictable.

That is why the O's need a bunch of starters behind them. No one knows who will step forward if called on. It could be any of Wada, Matusz, Britton or Steve Johnson. The O's have the best chance of overcoming starter problems by being deep with candidates to take over when someone or several someones fail.

I think this is one of the most important parts of the off season. Keeping as much starting depth as possible. That helped drive them to the playoff last year and it could do the same thing in 2013.

Completely agree we should stick to FA to upgrade the team and not trade any pitching depth.

Archived