DD focused on a leftfielder and a DH in interview with MLBTR

wildcard

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel confident in saying that there is not a single GM in MLB today that would trade Dylan Bundy for Billy Butler. Not even Bill Bavasi if he were still around.

Ok ...As I said I dont think it would take Bundy to get him. 2nd Gms never want to trade top pitching prospects until they flop.

Yep and they have no real value

Johnny Trea, so your plan is to trade out top prospects and sign Hamilton! So it's official...you are the new Trea! Anyone that is willing to trade the top pitching prospect in the game for a DH is someone I glad is not running the FO. DD should be fired on the spot if he made that deal!

My own opinion, but if an organization thinks your a top 20 player in the draft, then i'd have to say the Orioles must have thought he would be.

This comment doesn't make a lot of sense. He was only a "top 20" player because the Orioles picked 19th.

Besides, as Frobby has pointed out before, outside of the top 5 picks, the probability of the draftee being an impact player exponentially decreases.

Johnny Trea, so your plan is to trade out top prospects and sign Hamilton! So it's official...you are the new Trea! Anyone that is willing to trade the top pitching prospect in the game for a DH is someone I glad is not running the FO. DD should be fired on the spot if he made that deal!

First I take offense to he Trea stuff. Second there are plenty of guys that we could've traded high on that we didn't. I like quite a few others here think the O's could use a MOO bat. I could tell you to go back and read all of my post ...but I'm sure you wouldn't invest the time. It's too easy to be ignorant and name call. I personally think the O's need two guys to bat in the middle of the lineup. Butler makes sense as a three hitter as he hits for average and power. I mentioned quite a few packages that did not mention Bundy. I do think we have surplus young starters and could afford to trade a few of them. Hamilton is a pure #4 hitter that the Orioles haven't had in years. He'd be a serious upgrade over what we had in the middle this season. For me it doesn't have to be Hamilton or Butler specifically. I don't care if it's by free agency or trade. But I expect them to improve the club. For years I listened to guys like you here cry about how we should not sign a top free agent as we aren't close enough to be competitive. I know Angelo's has the dough and DD said before the season that the payroll would go up with the attendance. It did like 20%! They also benefitted by an additional $8 million in playoff revenue. They shouldn't be trying to find what they need on the scrap pile or bargain bin. Angelos has taken the cheap and thrifty approach for more than ten years. He has the money to spend oh yeah and then there is MASN.

I wish we had a thread to keep track of the dumbest things ever suggested on this site.

I'd be willing to offer the same bet to you that I offered WarOriole earlier in this post. Im quite certain I'll hear the crickets as a response. Second I'm certain you are one of the guys that thought the Calvary was untouchable just a few years ago. All of those guys have struggled mightiliy and only Tillman looks to have figured it out this season.

Everyone but Jonny Gomes. Would love to buy low on Chris Coghlan. Mike Morse is interesting guy who could be expendable very soon. Scott Hairston for the right price is useful option.

The problem is the Orioles need difference makers ...Not complimentary talent. Willingham & B Upton are duplicates of pieces we already have. Buying low sounds great ...But your hoping & praying a guy rebounds. The Orioles need guys for the middle of the order and/or a TOR. Your not going to find those guys in the bargain bin. I dont have anything against adding bench depth if its better than what we have ...But those moves arent the ones we need to insure we go back to the post season again.

The problem is the Orioles need difference makers ...Not complimentary talent. Willingham & B Upton are duplicates of pieces we already have. Buying low sounds great ...But your hoping & praying a guy rebounds. The Orioles need guys for the middle of the order and/or a TOR. Your not going to find those guys in the bargain bin. I dont have anything against adding bench depth if its better than what we have ...But those moves arent the ones we need to insure we go back to the post season again.

The Orioles already have a Josh Willingham? A guy who averages 130-140 games per year in LF and OPS's between .800 and .900? Who is that? I think I'd remember if we had a guy like that.

I'd be willing to offer the same bet to you that I offered WarOriole earlier in this post. Im quite certain I'll hear the crickets as a response. Second I'm certain you are one of the guys that thought the Calvary was untouchable just a few years ago. All of those guys have struggled mightiliy and only Tillman looks to have figured it out this season.

You are correct. I was not about moving Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, or Britton. Unlike now, our rotation was in shambles then and these guys turning out average would have been a huge bump to the rotation. The Orioles were lucky to go out and find 3 starters (Chen, Hammel, and Gonzo) that can fill out the rotation. There is still a lot of upside in those 4 pitchers, even if it is a dominating reliever.

And yes, their value might be lower than it was, but the rumors had San Diego wanting Matusz and Arrieta (after the seasons they had and were banished to the minors) for Headley shows that they still have significant value. Top pitching prospects will always have value. Thats why Mark Prior can sign with a new team every 30 minutes, because someone is willing to take a chance on that arm.

As regards to this season, most people had given up on Tillman at the beginning of the season. I know I did. The fact he came on strong is awesome. If Matusz can carry his attitude from relief to the starting rotation, he will easily make the OD rotation. Britton was dominant the first half of his rookie year and even this past season he had that stretch and then he wasn't trusted with games on the line so we could never see if he was healthy again.

But Dylan Bundy is better than all of those names.

Archived