Orioles talking to Uehara about return

Roll Tide

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Koji has closed for us. With KC losing Soria, would the Royals want JJ in a Butler deal? Hammel and Jim Johnson for Butler. Then trade some young pitching for R.A. Dickey.

I'm going to have to go looking on the web for a really good facepalm photo.

I think Koji's heart was in Baltimore even after they traded him. I think 2/8 gets him back.
Could be 1 with an option. I think Koji could get 5 mil per, but I think he'd come back to Baltimore if they offered 2/8. Get Koji back, could he help convince Kuroda to the O's on a 1 year deal?

I don't think we will pay that much for another reliever with JJ, Strop, O'Day and Ayala already in the fold. Just my guess.

I don't think we will pay that much for another reliever with JJ, Strop, O'Day and Ayala already in the fold. Just my guess.

I don't know. We've seen how DD likes to flood the ranks with bodies. Koji would be an expensive body but he's a real quality arm.

Heck, Ayala, Patton, and Hunter would be a good back end of a bullpen.

Assuming they continue their performance.

I wouldn't want to sell any of them short but the fun part of bullpens is that random members of them will randomly fall off. It never fails, every year, 30 or 50 or whatever percent of the middle relievers in baseball that people thought were good will just suck on toast. And a bunch of nobodies will assert their dominance... sometimes for 1 year, sometimes for 3, sometimes for 10.

Uehara has a pretty solid track record of not walking anyone and striking out a lot of people. You can't say that about anybody in our bullpen, not even Johnson, not even our best pitcher, Darren O'Day. I can't really say anything particularly insightful, any calculations involving bullpen members are low confidence. I wouldn't mind signing Sideburns (whom I love) but I also recognize the precarious position any given reliever sits in.

That's just what it is... every bullpen member is just a human dice roll. The ones that AREN'T end up in the Hall of Fame, every time.

Those scripted translators are always a mess. As someone with knowledge of Japanese, here's my translation of the article:

Orioles have contacted former player Uehara, says club General Manager

Regarding Uehara, a free-agent from the Rangers; the Orioles, of which he was previously a member until the middle of last season, have expressed interest in moving towards acquiring him.

After not giving up an earned run in a total of 14 consecutive games in the regular season, he also pitched well against his former team in the Wild Card Game. "He's a fantastic pitcher. Among relief pitchers, he's held in the highest regard. We're looking at signing him," said General Manager Dan Duquette. He is seeking to further strengthen what was already a driving force behind their surge this season. Rangers GM Jon Daniels is also looking towards re-acquiring him, taking an aggressive position. "We will be moving pro-actively."

"He's a fantastic pitcher. Among relief pitchers, he's held in the highest regard. We're looking at signing him," said General Manager Dan Duquette. He is seeking to further strengthen what was already a driving force behind their surge this season.

Music to my ears.

(and great work on the translation :thumbsup1:)

Those scripted translators are always a mess. As someone with knowledge of Japanese, here's my translation of the article:

Orioles have contacted former player Uehara, says club General Manager

Regarding Uehara, a free-agent from the Rangers; the Orioles, of which he was previously a member until the middle of last season, have expressed interest in moving towards acquiring him.

After not giving up an earned run in a total of 14 consecutive games in the regular season, he also pitched well against his former team in the Wild Card Game. "He's a fantastic pitcher. Among relief pitchers, he's held in the highest regard. We're looking at signing him," said General Manager Dan Duquette. He is seeking to further strengthen what was already a driving force behind their surge this season. Rangers GM Jon Daniels is also looking towards re-acquiring him, taking an aggressive position. "We will be moving pro-actively."

We need to outbid this Daniels character pronto. Don't waste time DD, get it done this week.

Archived