Orioles are closing in on re-signing Nate McLouth accdg to multiple sources.

Greg

This signing should have been nothing more than a minor league deal. Not something specially announced acting like he's a shoe in to play. He's not that good anymore. Two months of luck shouldn't gurantee a roster spot just because "the fans liked him"

You can't call it luck. He played very well and had a history of being good. I like the signing I just hope that we still intend on signing a big time offensive threat to plug into the middle of the order.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when you can't get Nate Schierholtz to take your money this will have to do ;)

Most Similar by Ages  View Similar Player Links in Pop-upHold mouse over #'s to see namesPaul O'Neill (973)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CReggie Sanders (969)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CAlex Gordon (961)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CMack Jones (971)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CVince DiMaggio (961)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CDaryl Boston (956)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C

Most Similar by Ages  View Similar Player Links in Pop-upHold mouse over #'s to see namesFrank Doljack (977)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CAlex Ochoa (980)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 CReid Nichols (974)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C

Similar Batters  View Similar Player Links in Pop-upCompare Stats to SimilarsReid Nichols (974)Chris Denorfia (966)Chris Coghlan (966)Lastings Milledge (965)Milt Byrnes (964)Robb Quinlan (963)Clint Hurdle (963)Larry Bigbie (963)Guy Zinn (961)Jim Gleeson (958)

Similar Batters  View Similar Player Links in Pop-upCompare Stats to SimilarsDaryl Boston (958)Oddibe McDowell (949)Jerry Martin (947)Gary Geiger (946)Mike Davis (943)Greg Norton (941)Max West (936)Alex Gordon (935)Scott Hairston (935)Darrin Jackson (934)

Your glass was overflowing, I just caught the runoff in mine. :P

With the exception of Machado playing third I read multiple members of the OH complaining about every one of those other issues last season.

Everyone loved Hardy before last year. He had a really bad offensive year. Worst of his career. He won't be that bad next year.

Hardy is a stud, Machado should not be at short. Jones should not be in left.

Hardy's bat hurts the offense, his OBP is unacceptable, as was his 21 GIDP. He has a poor approach at the plate.

Machado's value is maximized at short, why would you want him in a less useful defensive position?

Most defensive metrics are not kind to Jones in CF, I would suggest RF but Markakis has shown to be unable to play LF at a sufficient level.

Hardy's bat hurts the offense, his OBP is unacceptable, as was his 21 GIDP. He has a poor approach at the plate.

Machado's value is maximized at short, why would you want him in a less useful defensive position?

Most defensive metrics are not kind to Jones in CF, I would suggest RF but Markakis has shown to be unable to play LF at a sufficient level.

I don't care what defensive metrics say to be honest. Jones is fine in center field and we are lucky to have him. Hardys bat was awful last year. Won't hear me complain. I would be shocked if he wasn't better next year.

Everyone loved Hardy before last year. He had a really bad offensive year. Worst of his career. He won't be that bad next year.

Are you the same person who made that incorrect claim a couple days ago? Going by OPS+ Hardy has had two seasons that were worse then last year. He is also a MI over the age of 30, any bounce back is likely to be minor.

Edit- For the record I am fine with Jones in CF. I do think that his defense is better suited to a CO position but his bat makes up for it.

I don't know, but $2 million is a reasonable gamble on that chance, especially when you consider that the team has other cheap options like Reimold, Davis, Hoes, and Avery if McLouth falls off.

That is .3 WAR

Even with his horrible Pirate stink, he was .8 last season. He has been as high as 3.9

If there were an adequate replacement at 3B readily available, it would make sense to ship Hardy out and move Manny to SS. But, if we trade Hardy, who plays 3B? Is the combination of X 3B and Manny at SS an improvement on Manny at 3B and Hardy at SS?

I agree that most of the defensive metrics don't like Jones in CF, or even Nick in RF anymore, but I still have never seen anyone explain the differences in their value at home and on the road. I would say, and I have a bit of a bias, that they are both average.

Are you the same person who made that incorrect claim a couple days ago? Going by OPS+ Hardy has had two seasons that were worse then last year. He is also a MI over the age of 30, any bounce back is likely to be minor.

Edit- For the record I am fine with Jones in CF. I do think that his defense is better suited to a CO position but his bat makes up for it.

Not to disagree, but another way of looking at it is, his career OPS+ is 96, and it was 81 last year, so that makes a bounce back more likely. Point taken about him being a MI though; lot of wear and tear at that position.

Your trolling and knee-jerk reactions are getting old. Period. You and TradeAngelos and Birdland have all lost credibility by posting the same negative, predictable stuff over and over and over. And you can all move on to another board as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, and luckily for you, that's not up to me.

You tell me and others that have an opinion that's different from yours why we should be happy with this move....Oh that's right he had an average 2 months last year and stunk for the previous 2.5 years

You and about 8 other people are fighting a fight that you just aren't going to win on this board OG. Spending like you want to spend isn't, and shouldn't happen.

He isn't fighting it. He is just having fun, in the way he enjoys the most.

And the eight is more like three.

Not to disagree, but another way of looking at it is, his career OPS+ is 96, and it was 81 last year, so that makes a bounce back more likely. Point taken about him being a MI though; lot of wear and tear at that position.

I expect some level of bounce back from Hardy. But his approach is still going to be bad and it will be reflected in his OBP. I think a repeat of 2012 is more likely going forward then 2011.

That isn't to say his skill set doesn't have value. I just don't think it has enough value to warrant playing Machado out of position.

Archived