Orioles are closing in on re-signing Nate McLouth accdg to multiple sources.

Greg

Dead on it. Machado's projected future build already has some "experts" predicting he won't stick at SS. I am of the opinion that him playing at third will exacerbate this problem and the O's will be "stuck" with an All Star third baseman instead of one of the better players in the game.

Yeah because Miguel Cabrera isn't one of the best in the game.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dead on it. Machado's projected future build already has some "experts" predicting he won't stick at SS. I am of the opinion that him playing at third will exacerbate this problem and the O's will be "stuck" with an All Star third baseman instead of one of the better players in the game.

That seems reasonable, but with the way the kid adapted to 3B I don't see the transition back to SS as much of a problem. It seems like he just has IT.

He will be playing short. It's not in the best interest of the club for him to right now.

Yeah, I agree. I don't see any options at third base right now unless we're dealing Hardy or somebody else for a young third baseman. It does sound like Schoop/Machado could be the future of the left side of our IF though. Maybe by the end of the year.

I think this concern is overblown. Cal moved to 3B in the minors and moved back to short in the majors. At 20 years old, I'm not at all concerned that Manny will not be able to move back to short. If he outgrows, short, I think that would have happened either way, so blaming it on as season or two spent at 3B is a waste.

I think this concern is overblown. Cal moved to 3B in the minors and moved back to short in the majors. At 20 years old, I'm not at all concerned that Manny will not be able to move back to short. If he outgrows, short, I think that would have happened either way, so blaming it on as season or two spent at 3B is a waste.

That is going to happen at some point either way. I just don't want it to happen during his first 7 years in the majors.

This...100%. The questions, though, are.

1. How much money of Hardy's contract would you have to pay to move him?

2. How much money do you have to pay Youkilis?

3. Which option is more cost-effective?

Could you pay some of Hardy's contract and deal him with...say...Tillman and get Bauer plus back from AZ?

You should be happy with this move because the top outfield free agent (Hamilton) isn't worth what he is going to get. The trade targets that we can get to improve LF cost too much. Reimold can't stay healthy. Swisher would be playing out of position. Bourn would cost a ton and him or Jones are not moving to LF. It made the most sense, it was cheap, and it is a good player to go with Reimold.

That's still TBD....It's hard for me to completely dismiss McLouth's performance prior to the last 2 months of 2012

I don't think it matters as much - whether he plays 3rd or shortstop. If he starts hitting like Longoria, and I believe he will, then having Evan's production at third... well, that ain't bad.

Archived